[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A-Train

gilthorp

Talk about another idiotic move by the Chicago Bears. They re-vamp their offensive philosophy, bring in Thomas Jones based on what Terry Shea is going to do, fire him after a year, and Lovie Smith now states that they are going to be more of a running team.

All the while, they totally alienate Anthony Thomas, and when they'll need him most next year, he'll be toting the rock for someone else.

I believe he'll end up with the Cowboys. Eddie George will go bye-bye, and Julius Jones looks to be the real deal, but he'll have to stay healthy, which would require some relief from this type of runner.

I say the A-Train will become a fan favorite in Dallas over the next 4 years.

Talk about another idiotic move by the Chicago Bears. They re-vamp their offensive philosophy, bring in Thomas Jones based on what Terry Shea is going to do, fire him after a year, and Lovie Smith now states that they are going to be more of a running team.

All the while, they totally alienate Anthony Thomas, and when they'll need him most next year, he'll be toting the rock for someone else.

I believe he'll end up with the Cowboys. Eddie George will go bye-bye, and Julius Jones looks to be the real deal, but he'll have to stay healthy, which would require some relief from this type of runner.

660907[/snapback]

I would think that he would rather end up somewhere that he could start.

Gil, I hope your right. I think he would fit in great in Dallas. JJ looks like he will be a very good back, provided he stays health, but I question how good of a short yardage runner he is. It would be nice to have A-train to pound out the 3rd and 4th and 1's.

Teams with potential RB issues they will try and deal with in this offseason are:

Miami

Indy

Oakland

Philly

Pittsburgh

Carolina

Tampa

Arizona

San Fran

Seattle

Baltimore

NY Jets

Tenn

Chicago

Some of these are not necessarily obvious, but there are several circumstances under which a team could find itself with some kind of an RB problem.

RBs with a chance to solve someone's problem:

Alexander

Edge

A-Train

Henry

Blaylock/L Johnson

O Smith/M Moore/M Bennett

L Jordan

N Davenport

J Wells

W Green

Plus a deep looking draft class.

Teams with potential RB issues they will try and deal with in this offseason are:

Miami

Indy

Oakland

Philly

Pittsburgh

Carolina

Tampa

Arizona

San Fran

Seattle

Baltimore

NY Jets

Tenn

Chicago

Some of these are not necessarily obvious, but there are several circumstances under which a team could find itself with some kind of an RB problem.

Alexander

Edge

A-Train

Henry

Blaylock/L Johnson

L Jordan

N Davenport

J Wells

W Green

661007[/snapback]

For what it's woth- I wouldn't be surprised to see Mewelde Moore emerge as Minnesota's "featured back" (if there is such a thing) coming out of camp next year.

He's cheap (which is always a factor in Minny :D ), and he really was the most consistently productive RB there this season when he was featured and before he got hurt.

I could see Bennett getting axed for $$ reasons, and Onterrio to either get himself into more trouble or just plain old wearing out his welcome there with his off-field issues.

Put me down as the first to say- Mewelde Moore WILL start game #1 for Minnesota in 2005!

For what it's woth- I wouldn't be surprised to see Mewelde Moore emerge as Minnesota's "featured back" (if there is such a thing) coming out of camp next year.

He's cheap (which is always a factor in Minny  :D ), and he really was the most consistently productive RB there this season when he was featured and before he got hurt.

I could see Bennett getting axed for $$ reasons, and Onterrio to either get himself into more trouble or just plain old wearing out his welcome there with his off-field issues.

Put me down as the first to say- Mewelde Moore WILL start game #1 for Minnesota in 2005!

661049[/snapback]

I agree that he could be the feature back next year, but I was thinking more along the lines of the Vikings trading both backs for some defensive help. Not sure of what their contract situations are like, but I think Moe could fill the back up role well enough to trade the others.

I agree that he could be the feature back next year, but I was thinking more along the lines of the Vikings trading both backs for some defensive help.  Not sure of what their contract situations are like, but I think Moe could fill the back up role well enough to trade the others.

661066[/snapback]

what are you going to get in return for a RB that's made of glass, and a pot head?

Seriously though- trades in the NFL are fairly uncommon- so I wouldn't be surprised to see Minny dangle both players, but to also get no legitimate offers- resulting in the dreaded "economic cut downs"....

what are you going to get in return for a RB that's made of glass, and a pot head?

Seriously though- trades in the NFL are fairly uncommon- so I wouldn't be surprised to see Minny dangle both players, but to also get no legitimate offers- resulting in the dreaded "economic cut downs"....

661082[/snapback]

Al Davis likes pothead RBs...

660907[/snapback]

You are 100% right. A-Train filled in nicely this year when needed. He and T. Jones would make a decent one-two punch for a team that supposedly wants to run the ball more. This team desperately needs playmakers on offense, and it looks like they are going to lose one of the few they have left. :D:D This just makes no sense.

I guess the four plays in the Bears offensive game plan next year will be T. Jones run left, T. Jones run up the middle, T. Jones run right, Maynard punt.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

Miami

Indy

Oakland

Philly

Pittsburgh

Carolina

Tampa

Arizona

San Fran

Seattle

Baltimore

NY Jets

Tenn

Chicago

Alexander

Edge

A-Train

Henry

Blaylock/L Johnson

L Jordan

N Davenport

J Wells

W Green

661007[/snapback]

It looks as if Droughns is in the mix also.

FWIW, I like JJ's prospects in Dallas and don't think that A-Train wants to be someone's backup again.

660963[/snapback]

I doubt he'll have much of a choice. He might be able to get a chance to start in Oakland or Miami, but I doubt he'd be near the top of their lists as a starter even there.

This may be a completely different topic, but how stable is the running back situation in Jacksonville. We all know the issues that Fred Taylor has each year and the fact that he is getting older does not help his case too much. They have Greg Jones backing him up, but who else. Do you think that Jacksonville could be in the market for a back this offseason?

Pittsburgh

Baltimore

661007[/snapback]

These 2 have got me scratching my head.

At the minimum, PIT will have Duce and Haynes . . . you think they'll look for a replacement for Bettis if he retires? If they do, I wouldn't expect them to spend any real money when they've still got Duce to hang their hat on.

BALT is loaded at RB, no? Lewis, Smith and Taylor - Jamal is a stud and the other 2 filled in nicely while he was out (until Smith busted his leg, that is). Are the contracts of the latter 2 up this year?

Alexander

Edge

A-Train

Henry

Blaylock/L Johnson

L Jordan

N Davenport

J Wells

W Green

661007[/snapback]

Thanks. Now I need only cut & paste this list into my argument why the Bengals might NOT pay any price to resign Rudi! RB's are cheap, a good OL is the best way to get a good RB (KC, Denver). So I don't believe the Bengals will agree to break the bank to sign Rudi, just because everyone loves him. I won't further hijack the thread.

Add the Bengals to the list of any team who might be in the running for any of the FA RBs. 'Cuz I think it's a real chance.

These 2 have got me scratching my head. 

At the minimum, PIT will have Duce and Haynes . . . you think they'll look for a replacement for Bettis if he retires?  If they do, I wouldn't expect them to spend any real money when they've still got Duce to hang their hat on.

BALT is loaded at RB, no?  Lewis, Smith and Taylor - Jamal is a stud and the other 2 filled in nicely while he was out (until Smith busted his leg, that is).  Are the contracts of the latter 2 up this year?

661438[/snapback]

Simple, really. Bettis is creaky. He had a nice season, but when does it end? Pitt has to be looking past the Bus to see what's next

You could say they addressed this with Staley, but really...when has Staley ever shown he can be the guy? He can't be depended upon because he's too fragile. Haynes is a nice back, but can be be 'the guy' if Bettis and Staley aren't around? Maybe...I dunno. If I'm Cowher, I don't particularly like the situation going into next year and I do what I can to address it.

Baltimore. Lewis is going to jail. Now, he'll be out for next season, but his mind was obviously elswhere this year and who knows where his head will be at after someone bigger than he is introduces themself to him in the laundry room. And honestly, are you sold on what Taylor or Smith can do with the mighty Kyle Boller slinging the pigskin? 9 in the box can be rough...

Thanks.  Now I need only cut & paste this list into my argument why the Bengals might NOT pay any price to resign Rudi!  RB's are cheap, a good OL is the best way to get a good RB (KC, Denver).  So I don't believe the Bengals will agree to break the bank to sign Rudi, just because everyone loves him.  I won't further hijack the thread.

Add the Bengals to the list of any team who might be in the running for any of the FA RBs.  'Cuz I think it's a real chance.

661549[/snapback]

These RBs are not necessarily all FAs. Some are, but others are just in positions where they do not fit their current team's plans anymore.

I seriously doubt that Baltimore will make a run for a running back this year. They have too many issues at WR and QB and I do not think they can afford to pay another running back to sit on the bench behind Jamal. They are going to sink there money into getting a high profile WR. Moss has been mentioned here several times. If not Moss, then maybe Plaxico.

I seriously doubt that Baltimore will make a run for a running back this year. They have too many issues at WR and QB and I do not think they can afford to pay another running back to sit on the bench behind Jamal. They are going to sink there money into getting a high profile WR. Moss has been mentioned here several times. If not Moss, then maybe Plaxico.

661692[/snapback]

I'm not sure I really believe the whole Moss-to-Baltimore rumor. Doesn't Randy have a number of years left on his contract? Wouldn't that mean a pretty significant cap hit for the Vikes?

Plaxico is a possibility, but I'm not sure how the Steelers would feel about him going to a division rival. Mushin Muhammad to Baltimore might be a possibility.

Simple, really.  Bettis is creaky.  He had a nice season, but when does it end?  Pitt has to be looking past the Bus to see what's next

You could say they addressed this with Staley, but really...when has Staley ever shown he can be the guy?  He can't be depended upon because he's too fragile.  Haynes is a nice back, but can be be 'the guy' if Bettis and Staley aren't around?  Maybe...I dunno.  If I'm Cowher, I don't particularly like the situation going into next year and I do what I can to address it.

Baltimore.  Lewis is going to jail.  Now, he'll be out for next season, but his mind was obviously elswhere this year and who knows where his head will be at after someone bigger than he is introduces themself to him in the laundry room.  And honestly, are you sold on what Taylor or Smith can do with the mighty Kyle Boller slinging the pigskin?  9 in the box can be rough...

661678[/snapback]

I think PIT is fine going forward with Duce . . . people seem to forget how well he was running and how few carries Bettis was getting earlier in the year before one of my Pats ALLEGEDLY punched him in the hamstring, thereby shelving him for the bulk of the remainder of the season. I'd be very surprised to see PIT look very far for a replacement for the Bus.

I also don't really think that Lewis' jail time will affect anything. Of course, I've been wrong before.

I'm not sure I really believe the whole Moss-to-Baltimore rumor.  Doesn't Randy have a number of years left on his contract?  Wouldn't that mean a pretty significant cap hit for the Vikes?

Plaxico is a possibility, but I'm not sure how the Steelers would feel about him going to a division rival.  Mushin Muhammad to Baltimore might be a possibility.

661749[/snapback]

I have heard that as well. I know they are going after a big name. The Moss thing is highly unlikely, but you have the whole Billick relationship thing. If Moss goes anywhere, I would look for him to go to B-More. Muhammad is getting a little long in the tooth and I haven't really heard to much about him other than his name.

I'm not sure I really believe the whole Moss-to-Baltimore rumor.  Doesn't Randy have a number of years left on his contract?  Wouldn't that mean a pretty significant cap hit for the Vikes?

Plaxico is a possibility, but I'm not sure how the Steelers would feel about him going to a division rival.  Mushin Muhammad to Baltimore might be a possibility.

661749[/snapback]

Whoever it may be (Plax, Moose, even Moss), add this to the fact that 1) Heap will be back full strength and 2) Fassell will be running the offense . . . I think Boller may be a nice little sleeper for next year. I plan on drafting him as my 2nd QB if I can . . .