[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is it that the Saints need?

The Saints have Brooks, Deuce, and Horn to name just a few on Offense. They seem to always have at least a serviceable Defense (maybe not spectacular but they don't seem to lose too many of the games for them). So what is it that the Saints need at this point? Is it just a chemistry thing?

The Saints have Brooks, Deuce, and Horn to name just a few on Offense.  They seem to always have at least a serviceable Defense (maybe not spectacular but they don't seem to lose too many of the games for them).  So what is it that the Saints need at this point?  Is it just a chemistry thing?

866761[/snapback]

My thinking on the Saints is this: If Aaron Brooks becomes consistently consistent, the Saints will be a viable playoff squad. I think Horn can be a superstar and Deuce is a very solid RB when he is healthy. If Stallworth could be more of an impact player, things might open up for the running game a bit more. You make a good point about chemistry too--I don't know if that is affecting them or not, but it seems possible to me. I like the makeup of the team--I see a good bit of talent there.

Well, Benson doesn't need any money, he's got plenty laying around right about now. :D

State meets Saints payment deadline

"The state handed the New Orleans Saints a check for $12,415,267.53 Tuesday, its annual multimillion dollar payment to keep the team in Louisiana."

www.usatoday.com

I disagree ... the Saints D lost plenty of games for them ... they gave up the most yards/game in the NFL in 2004 ... they were absolutely horrible ...

866913[/snapback]

Bingo. :D

i disagree about the brooks thing. he is incredibly consistent. he's consistently completing over 60% of passes, throws more than 22 tds, is in the top 12 for almost ever category. he does make mistakes, but so does everyone on that team, which means the real problem is coaching. you put any decent coach in there and this team is in the playoffs.

oh, and about the defense, again, it's not the personnel. they are loaded in the front line, the secondary had gotten some players, their biggest weakness is linebacker. but the real problem again is the lack of smart plays. they'll seem to be playing the run when teams pass and playing the pass when teams run. again, the coaching flat out sucks.

Saints' D is not that good. It has its moments, but they're few and far between. Brooks is not consistent. Great athlete with a great arm, but just can't string together consecutive good snaps/quarters/halves/games... Deuce is a beast, but his injury last year certainly slowed him down. Stallworth is a complete underachiever and Horn, while studly, is a big talker that doesn't appear to grasp the concept of "team". On top of it, they have shoddy ownership and their coaching staff, from top to bottom, is average.

I disagree ... the Saints D lost plenty of games for them ... they gave up the most yards/game in the NFL in 2004 ... they were absolutely horrible ...

866913[/snapback]

That's what I'm sayin'. In fact my strategy going into the Huddle MVP challenge is to play anyone who is playing the Aints!

i disagree about the brooks thing.  he is incredibly consistent.  he's consistently completing over 60% of passes, throws more than 22 tds, is in the top 12 for almost ever category.  he does make mistakes, but so does everyone on that team, which means the real problem is coaching.  you put any decent coach in there and this team is in the playoffs.

oh, and about the defense, again, it's not the personnel.  they are loaded in the front line, the secondary had gotten some players, their biggest weakness is linebacker.  but the real problem again is the lack of smart plays.  they'll seem to be playing the run when teams pass and playing the pass when teams run.  again, the coaching flat out sucks.

867103[/snapback]

Last season, Brooks competed 57% of his passes, which isn't horrible, but that's not going to get it done for you when you have a WR like Horn or a back like Deuce on your squad. He's at 57% for his career to date. That puts him slightly above average. I don't disagree that coaching would make a difference, but with two good receivers, an elite running back and decent offensive line, he's going to need to be better than top 12, IMO. There aren't that many teams with guys like Deuce and Horn lining up together.

Here's good read by Mike Detillier on the Saints for those interested.

868287[/snapback]

Good stuff! I agree with Mike's call for more passes to Deuce. He could be very dangerous catching the ball and getting upfield ala middle screen and such. Let him pick his way through.

I hate to use a cliche', but they really need a winning attitude. Theres a lot of finger pointing in the locker-room after losses (from what ex-Saints players have said), doesn't seem like the team is that committed to winning. Brooks needs to emerge as a leader for that team, it has taken him WAY too long. Brooks needs to take losses more seriously than it seems he does.

What is it that the Saints need?

-consistant play from the offensive line

-consistant play from any reciever NOT named Joe Horn

-offensive focal point switched BACK to Deuce McAllister

-A better SLB & MLB with Watson moving to WLB

-some dedication from Jonathan Sullivan

-coaches who can make good decisions

Hard to argue with anything that has been said in this thread.

It appears that Haslett is a pretty decent coach, or it would appear that way since they won their last 4 games last year. They were 4-8 and won their last 4, which means he never lost his players.

In being a Brooks owner last year, and correct me if I'm wrong homers, but I remember that offense being extremely bad at the start of games...they hardly would score in their first possesion, and they were outscored in the majority of their games in the first half. They just never seemed ready to come out and play.

There is talent and they need to feed Deuce the ball and not let it rest on Brooks. Their defense is a bit of a liability, but IMO, they simply need to be ready to play right out of the box.

I'm sure they need what everyone else says, but that's my 2 cents.

Haslett sucks. he has and has had more talant on that team than most and done very little with it. He can't do "diddly-poo"

869080[/snapback]

And to think he was Coach of the Year after the 2000 season.... I'm not letting him off scott free but I think there's plenty of blame to go around in that organization. Unfortunately it's always going to be the Head Coach and the QB that will take the most heat (and that goes for any team). Of course on the flip side the head coach and the QB tend to get the most credit when things go well.....

Speaking of Haslett....just read this tidbit about him in this weeks Sporting News....

Saints coach Jim Haslett is miffed about the lack of progress in negotiations on a long term contract extension.  Haslett, who has 2 years left on a five year extension he signed in 2002, says he was promised a new deal during a January summit meeting with GM Mickey Loomis and owner Tom Benson.  Seven months later, Haslett still is waiting for the deal to be final.  Haslett's best strategy might be to roll the dice and hope for a long overdue breakout season from his team, then force the front office's hand at the end of the year when he would have more leverage.

Come on Jim....this is Benson we're talking about. Surely you can't be surprised he hasn't gotten a deal done. Maybe he needs to read up on the yearly debacle of keeping the Saints in LA.

Speaking of Haslett....just read this tidbit about him in this weeks Sporting News....

Come on Jim....this is Benson we're talking about.  Surely you can't be surprised he hasn't gotten a deal done.  Maybe he needs to read up on the yearly debacle of keeping the Saints in LA.

869157[/snapback]

Some interesting comments from a June article by Len Pasquarelli:

...Then again, given the uncertainty of the Saints' situation, maybe Haslett is better off without the extension. Truth be told, Haslett is more highly regarded around the league than the 43-39 record he has forged in five seasons might indicate. Yeah, the Saints have been an incredibly underachieving team at times during Haslett's tenure, but he is viewed in favor by a lot of general managers. So maybe the best thing Haslett can do is guide the Saints to a playoff berth in 2005, enhance his own standing in the league and then try to bolt a franchise that probably wouldn't bar the front door if he attempted to leave...

Len Pasquarelli ESPN.com article

----------------------------------------------------------------

866913[/snapback]

"they were absolutely horrible" for the first 12 games of 2004, but played very well the final 4 games. Allowed at least 20 pts in every one of the first 12 games, but no more than 18 in any of the final 4 games. This corresponded with several things: Mike McKenzie settling in at CB, and the 3 young guys (2 rookies - Watson and Bockwoldt, along with 3rd year James Allen) starting at LB. This year, replacing Tebucky Jones with Dwight Smith is a big upgrade -- Jones was a huge dissappointment while Smith is a playmaker. Al Fincher may push for the starting MLB spot. And there's some cautious optimism that Jonathon Sullivan is finally growing up and may be a factor this year.

No, they won't be a top 10 D this year, but should be a respectable unit that takes some pressure off the offense.

It just got worse when they let Grady go to GB, too. Not the smartest of moves.

868461[/snapback]

You have got to be kidding.

I just can't believe more people don't see Haslett as a glaring weakness. :D

869046[/snapback]

Seems like this is the common thought from folks who see Sportscenter clips or a random Saints game here or there. But nope, as an avid Saints fan, I just don't see it that way.

We just need the season to start!

GB offseason optimism.

We need an upgrade at QB to someone who will lead and not throw a deep ball higher than it is long, but we're stuck for now. We need to get Stallworth more involved early, especially on quick slants behind the LB's. We need the offense to center around Deuce, especially with the mauling right side of the o-line we have now.

Defensively, I'm amazed Venturi still has a job, but again we're stuck for now. Let the young guys play and we should be much improved this year. Dead last in the league doesn't normally mean you keep your job...