[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Henry to be Traded?

StormChasers

Don't see this posted here yet so thought I would add it: :D

http://www.billsinsider.com/index.php?POST...3912920afa85221

Friday, July 08, 2005 - 08:19 PM

The latest word on Buffalo RB Travis Henry is that he will be traded to the Jacksonville Jaguars and that the deal is all but done. The Bills would be recieving a 3rd round draft choice in next years NFL draft and there could designated production benchmarks that, if met, could turn it into a 2nd round pick. If there is a hangup on the deal, it will be based on the conditions needed to transform it from a 3rd to a 2nd rounder. Henry is expected to take a physical in Jacksonville sometime next week, which he will pass, and it shouldn't be long after that the deal is made official.

The Tennessee Titans are also in the mix (and recently the Vikings have been added in the rumors), but at this point it looks as if Jacksonville is more willing to meet Tom Donahoe's demands.

This of course means that Taylor will be completely healthy, and Henry will whine about his backup role there.

871505[/snapback]

That would be a perfect irony. :D

Travis Henry at 80% is healthier than a Fred Taylor at 100%..Nothing against Taylor, but he defines the word "injury". If I were a Jax's fan I would welcome the arrival of Travis Henry and would be excited about the season to come. Can you tell I have been burned by Mr. Taylor and his never ending injuries?

Travis Henry at 80% is healthier than a Fred Taylor at 100%..Nothing against Taylor, but he defines the word "injury".  If I were a Jax's  fan I would welcome the arrival of Travis Henry and would be excited about the season to come.  Can you tell I have been burned by Mr. Taylor and his never ending injuries?

871552[/snapback]

It makes more sense for the Jags to get Henry than it does for Tennessee. The Jags have a chance of contending this year, while the Titans don't.

I think the Jags will be a wild card team this season.

"a healthy fred taylor is better than a healthy edgerrin james"

this was said by some football analyst, dont remember who.

i think that if they get him, they will be sorry. for some weird reason i have full faith in fred taylor and him producing this year. taylor = 1450 total yards 12 total TDs. Travis Henry = 300 total yards 3 total TDs.

i think that if they get him, they will be sorry. for some weird reason i have full faith in fred taylor and him producing this year. taylor = 1450 total yards 12 total TDs. Travis Henry = 300 total yards 3 total TDs.

871580[/snapback]

If this trade goes through I think it tells you everything on the Jags outlook for Taylor this year.... they're not counting on him being there. Jacksonville has Toefield waiting in the wings and drafted Pearman in the 4th round.

Now they're willing to give up a 3rd "that could turn into a 2nd" round pick? The Jags clearly think they can win this year and want some serious insurance.

It's kind of hard to get excited about a possible Henry trade isn't it?  I'll believe it when I see it.

871614[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly. Trading for Henry would mean that whomever is drafting (RB's at least) has not the slightest clue what they're doing in JAX. In the last 2-3 years they've drafted Jones, Toefield and Pearman. Why not spend that fourth rounder this year on a bigger need if they thought they were trading for Henry?

My thoughts exactly.  Trading for Henry would mean that whomever is drafting (RB's at least) has not the slightest clue what they're doing in JAX.  In the last 2-3 years they've drafted Jones, Toefield and Pearman.  Why not spend that fourth rounder this year on a bigger need if they thought they were trading for Henry?

871667[/snapback]

Maybe they didn't realize how bad Taylor's injury was. They thought it would heal and have since found out that it hasn't healed right. Just speculating here but it's what makes sense.

871580[/snapback]

The only problem with that is that Fred says he's never healthy.

Looks like Taylor is in worse shape than they anticipated. I don't think they grab Henry just for backup. That just doesn't make any sense for them to do. They already have three on the bench. Henry will start, this has "had no choice" written all over it.

The Titans need Henry alot more than the Jags do! I cant believe that these 2 teams havent gotten into a bidding war for his services. One sticking point may be that Henry is a fa after this season. His agent may or may not want to sign a long term deal in order to make the trade work.

The Titans need Henry alot more than the Jags do!  I cant believe that these 2 teams havent gotten into a bidding war for his services.  One sticking point may be that Henry is a fa after this season.  His agent may or may not want to sign a long term deal in order to make the trade work.

871878[/snapback]

That couldn't be farther from the truth.

What does a rebuilding team (Titans) need more: a 28 year old running back with one year left on his deal, or a third round pick???? Easily, the pick.

Conversely, what does a potentially contending team need more: a 28 year old running back with one year left on his deal, or a third round pick???? The running back.

And that doesnt even mention the fact that the Jags' main runningback, Fred Taylor, is 29, while the Titan's Chris Brown is only 24. And, Taylor is hurt much worse than Brown is, for sure.

Edited by Chessmaster

That couldn't be farther from the truth. 

What does a rebuilding team (Titans) need more: a 28 year old running back with one year left on his deal, or a third round pick????  Easily, the pick.

Conversely, what does a potentially contending team need more: a 28 year old running back with one year left on his deal, or a third round pick???? The running back.

871879[/snapback]

You have a point but you must realize that the Titans still dont know what they have in Chris Brown. This will be his year to prove he can play a full season, which he has never done even in high school, or the Titans will begin to look another direction. If Brown has a good i.e. healthy 2005 campaign, then the Titans will sign him to a long term deal after the season. If he gets hurt and misses significant playing time again, the Titans will be looking for a durbable replacement. Henry is very durable and has 3 or 4 productive years left, imo. The guy played with a broken leg for God sakes. He could wind up being the starting rb for this team for a number of years and would be well worth a 3rd round pick, imo.

Granted, Tennesse is in a re-building year. But they still must field a team. If Brown goes down again this season, Tennessee doesnt have a quality backup to take that spot. With Henry they add depth, while at the same time, provide some insurance for this season, and beyond, if Brown continues his injury prone ways. If Brown gets hurt again, they would have a guy who was a very popular player at the University of Tennessee who would definitely generate interest and put butts in the seats with Travis Henry. And it allows them to at least be competitive in the event that Brown goes down, even though admittedly this will not be a playoff season anyway.

Floyd Reese wants Travis Henry on this team for a number of reasons. He is just playing high stakes poker right now. Whether the Titans are willing to give up a 3rd round pick for a guy who may only back up their starter for 1 year and then be gone is the big question. They hope Brown is the man, but they are very nervous with the prospect of going into this season relying on his health given his history.

Now lets talk about the Jags. Fred Taylor has been EXTREMELY productive and has been very durable over the past few seasons. His reputation as "Fragile Freddy" is no longer accurate. Plus the Jags have invested alot in their rb reserves; Labrandon Toefield, Greg Jones, and Fumamatu mahafala. This team is pretty deep at rb. Why does Henry play? 3rd down back? goal line back? special teams? I dont understand where he fits into their plans at all given their starter is healthy and better than Henry..

Edited by spain

You have a point but you must realize that the Titans still dont know what they have in Chris Brown.  This will be his year to prove he can play a full season, which he has never done even in high school, or the Titans will begin to look another direction.  If Brown has a good i.e. healthy 2005 campaign, then the Titans will sign him to a long term deal after the season.  If he gets hurt and misses significant playing time again, the Titans will be looking for a durbable replacement.  Henry is very durable and has 3 or 4 productive years left, imo.  The guy played with a broken leg for God sakes.  He could wind up being the starting rb for this team for a number of years and would be well worth a 3rd round pick, imo.

Granted, Tennesse is in a re-building year.  But they still must field a team.  If Brown goes down again this season, Tennessee doesnt have a quality backup to take that spot.  With Henry they add depth, while at the same time, provide some insurance for this season, and beyond, if Brown continues his injury prone ways.  If Brown gets hurt again, they would have a guy who was a very popular player at the University of Tennessee who would definitely generate interest and put butts in the seats with Travis Henry.  And it allows them to at least be competitive in the event that Brown goes down, even though admittedly this will not be a playoff season anyway.

Floyd Reese wants Travis Henry on this team for a number of reasons.  He is just playing high stakes poker right now.  Whether the Titans are willing to give up a 3rd round pick for a guy who may only back up their starter for 1 year and then be gone is the big question.  They hope Brown is the man, but they are very nervous with the prospect of going into this season relying on his health given his history.

Now lets talk about the Jags.  Fred Taylor has been EXTREMELY productive and has been very durable over the past few seasons.  His reputation as "Fragile Freddy" is no longer accurate.  Plus the Jags have invested alot in their rb reserves;  Labrandon Toefield, Greg Jones, and Fumamatu mahafala.  This team is pretty deep at rb.  Why does Henry play?  3rd down back?  goal line back?  special teams?  I dont understand where he fits into their plans at all given their starter is healthy and better than Henry..

871881[/snapback]

I already stated why the Jags should want Henry and the Titans shouldn't: The Jags can win THIS YEAR. You don't invest in a 28 year-old backup runningback unless you can contend, and the Jags can do that. The Titans can't contend, and investing in a 28 year-old backup would be pointless.

The Titans have 3 backups on the roster who could, if given the chance, surprise. All they need is that chance. They have Damien Nash (2005 5th round pick), Jarrett Payton and Joe Smith, who both did very well in NFL Europe. Investing in a known quantity (Henry) when you can't contend anyway and you have a number of young players who could produce if the situation presented itself is stupid. Plus, a rebuilding team like the Titans needs to use their 3rd round picks on rookies.

It is puzzling to me why the Jags have invested so many recent draft picks on running backs that they seemingly have no confidence in. Maybe they drafted Greg Jones as a fullback, and maybe Pearman was only envisioned as a 3rd down back. And maybe Labrandon Toefield has done nothing but dissapoint so far which necessitates this move for Henry. Who knows.

But it makes MUCH MORE sense for the Jags to get Henry than for the Titans to get him. 28 year old running backs, realistically, have 3 years left, max. That isn't enough to make acquiring him worthwhile for a rebuilding team.

Chessmaster: I guess you know more than Floyd Reese, who is one of the more respected GM's in this league. Perhaps you could give up that Domino's Pizza gig and get a job in the NFL as a GM or personnel director. Give it some thought. Seriously....