[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mike Vick

Skilly

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say that I have met Vick, so this is in no way an endorsement and claim of some known, yet hidden, pool of intelligence in Vick.

That said, I once saw an interview on ESPN with boxer Roy Jones Jr. He dressed and talked as ghetto as you could imagine. There were points during the interview when I was very unsure of exactly what he was saying. That said, if you watch HBO Boxing you will know that Joens Jr. is well spoken, analytical, and wears a tuxedo.

Jones and Vick are going to be the same in that there are people around them suggesting that they act and talk a certain way in front of certain audiences. Vick may be dumbing himself down some for some perceived "street cred."

Of course, IMHO, that makes him double stupid.

I'd agree with that as well, but athletes are near the top the charts for doing stupid stuff for stupid reasons.

Either that or netiher of us truly understand that need for "street cred." :D

His plummet from elite QB status is a tribute to his lack of quick wit in the WCO.

He's been a placebo in FFL predraft status until this year...

Edited by Wolv

uh no, he was the third ranked qb fantasy-wise in 2002

go check the "repeatability rankings" or whatever on the homepage

900028[/snapback]

that was before defenses knew he couldn't pass. . .

QUOTE(migarvin @ 7/28/05 07:29pm)

uh no, he was the third ranked qb fantasy-wise in 2002

go check the "repeatability rankings" or whatever on the homepage

that was before defenses knew he couldn't pass. . .

you mean before defenses realized he has no viable receiving option besides a tightend?

Yeah and Mcnabb was born in 1976 - do the math buddy. I was right he was still partying in Syracuse at age 22

put manning on the dolphins and he throws less than half the td's he did last year

898620[/snapback]

You may be right but, that's still more than Vick threw on a better team. :D

you mean before defenses realized he has no viable receiving option besides a tightend?

904588[/snapback]

Actually ... Price while many people do not like him caught 94 passes for 1252 yards and 9 tds in 2002 in BUF and the year before had 55 passes for 895 yards and 7 tds in BUF ... those numbers are not too shabby. Something fell apart when he got to ATL ... but I don't think you can blame all of it on Price. Also, he has better RB options than some other teams ... so the talent "issue" can only go so far.

Yeah and Mcnabb was born in 1976 - do the math buddy. I was right he was still partying in Syracuse at age 22

898620[/snapback]

Um, no. This is what you said:

But when Vick won in GB at age 22 in the playoffs, Mcnabb was still partying in Syracuse.

897938[/snapback]

McNabb was not partying at Syracuse when Vick played the Packers in 2002. So, no, you weren't right. Learn how to communicate, momo. :D

I find it interesting that all of these little kiddies from Atlanta are touting Vick as an elite NFL QB, when he has yet to master the art of throwing the ball to his WRs. And anyone who disagrees is either a Vick-basher or a racist. :D

I think it's fair to say that Vick is second-to-none in regard to athletic talent and that his scrambling abilities tend to keep (mediocre) opposing defenses off balance. So, in that regard, Vick certainly is a special player. But Vick is waaay behind the average starting NFL QB in terms of passing and reading defenses. And, in the end, successful NFL QBs need to be able to effectively pass the ball. Even if we give him a free pass for being relatively new to the WCO (despite him having four years of NFL experience), the jury is still out on whether he'll be the next Steve Young or the next Kordell. He has a lot to prove before he can even be considered a good NFL QB, much less an elite one. Therefore, I suggest that the over-zealous Vick-lovers put a sock in it for now. Save the superlatives for the season that Vick throws for 3,000 yds and 20 TDs.

Actually ... Price while many people do not like him caught 94 passes for 1252 yards and 9 tds in 2002 in BUF and the year before had 55 passes for 895 yards and 7 tds in BUF ... those numbers are not too shabby.  Something fell apart when he got to ATL ...

905793[/snapback]

Yeah, he went from being the # 2 WR in Buffalo with a Pro Bowler in Eric Moulds across from him, to being the # 1 WR in Atlanta with no Pro Bowler across from him.

Big change!!!!!!

Yeah, he went from being the # 2 WR in Buffalo with a Pro Bowler in Eric Moulds across from him, to being the # 1 WR in Atlanta with no Pro Bowler across from him.

Big change!!!!!!

906245[/snapback]

So if ATL had Eric Moulds on their roster then Vick could put up 4359 total passing yards with 24 passing td's including 1252 yards to Price and 1287 yards to Moulds? I suppose it doesn't mean anything either that Crumpler had just about as much yardage last year as the combined TE's have had for BUF in the LAST 2 YEARS. Price put up those numbers in 2002 because he had a PRODUCTIVE QB ... did it help having another top caliber WR? Yes, was that the only reason he had 1200 yards and 10 td's? Doubt it. When you have a productive passer you take guys like Brandon Stokely who have accomplished absolutely SQUAT under mediocre passers and get enormous production of them with a productive passer.

I don't buy into the line of it is all Price's fault.

So if ATL had Eric Moulds on their roster then Vick could put up 4359 total passing yards with 24 passing td's including 1252 yards to Price and 1287 yards to Moulds?  I suppose it doesn't mean anything either that Crumpler had just about as much yardage last year as the combined TE's have had for BUF in the LAST 2 YEARS.  Price put up those numbers in 2002 because he had a PRODUCTIVE QB ... did it help having another top caliber WR?  Yes, was that the only reason he had 1200 yards and 10 td's?  Doubt it.  When you have a productive passer  you take guys like Brandon Stokely who have accomplished absolutely SQUAT under mediocre passers and get enormous production of them with a productive passer.

I don't buy into the line of it is all Price's fault.

906556[/snapback]

I agree with BigScore that Price has failed to effectively deal with double-teams and I think that he may have come down with a case of Antonio Freeman syndrome after signing that fat contract. But I also agree that a good QB can get more out of a WR than a mediocre one. Marvin Harrison was never a stud before Manning was behind center. Bill Schroeder has done jack squat since leaving Favre. Going from Patrick Ramsey to an over-the-hill Mark Brunell killed Laveranues Coles' numbers.

I agree with BigScore that Price has failed to effectively deal with double-teams and I think that he may have come down with a case of Antonio Freeman syndrome after signing that fat contract.  But I also agree that a good QB can get more out of a WR than a mediocre one.  Marvin Harrison was never a stud before Manning was behind center.  Bill Schroeder has done jack squat since leaving Favre.  Going from Patrick Ramsey to an over-the-hill Mark Brunell killed Laveranues Coles' numbers.

906648[/snapback]

Yep ... in this case ... it is not a one-way street.

Yep ... in this case ... it is not a one-way street.

906672[/snapback]

Another way to look at is this. Do you think Price would have been as succesful in Buffalo, with Josh Reed across from him, instead of Moulds?

There's no doubt that Vick's accuracy...or should I say inaccuracy...has had an impact on Prices numbers, but having watched every FalCANS game that I can, either in person at the Georgia Dome or on TV, I can also unequivocally say, that Price is not able to handle the role of a # 1 WR.