[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Holy Samole, Mike Bell!

Bronco Billy

That's just it, he's never honest with injuries so you never know how accurate his depth chart can be during the regular season. Sure, when everyone's healthy it's accurate but once injuries start to creep in he's as bad as Belichick.

No argument there. But the fact remains that once Shanahan decides on his #1 RB for the regular season, if the guy stays healthy he's the guy Shanahan feeds the ball to. Hell, even last year Shanahan went completely against his nature and told us all he was going to use Anderson & T Bell in games but that Anderson was the #1 RB, but FF owners just couldn't believe that T Bell wasn't the guy. So the guys who drafted Bell in the 2nd round took a hit on value, while those paying attention were able to gain the more productive Anderson much later in the draft.

This may be a move for Shanahan to try to get back to his "one hoss RB" system - which I know he prefers. I'm curious about the comparisons with TD, though, but I admit the situation is eerily similar as how TD got his starting gig. The last time Shanahan compared a player to a great from the past, it was Brian Griese & Montana being thrown into the same sentence. Shanahan stuck to his guns that time, too, but we all know how that turned out (though Griese did have one magnificent injury shortened year in 2000). But then Shanahan knows his RBs a hell of a lot better than he evaluates QBs...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the biggest question here is can Mike Bell block?. If not he will be a Special Teamer this year with some chances in pure running situations here and there. Next year? Shanny will have him blocking by then or he will be gone from the RB situation.

Actually the biggest question here is can Mike Bell block?. If not he will be a Special Teamer this year with some chances in pure running situations here and there. Next year? Shanny will have him blocking by then or he will be gone from the RB situation.

He's already been praised this presedason by Shanahan for his blocking.

He's already been praised this presedason by Shanahan for his blocking.

So this Friday will really show if that is correct huh? If so, Shanny is NOT afraid to mix things up to win, which has always been his bottom line, like him or not

So this Friday will really show if that is correct huh? If so, Shanny is NOT afraid to mix things up to win, which has always been his bottom line, like him or not

I think Shanahan is simply putting who he has seen as his best all-around RB on the field with the 1st team on Friday. I don't think it's a ploy to motivate anyone or playing head games with the league or FF owners. Now it's up to M Bell to keep the job by his play during the preseason. If he can't, I'd imagine we'll see Dayne back at #1 RB with M Bell dropping to #3.

The only thing that makes me question all of this is the fact Dayne has been praised all camp and now he is put at #3 on the depth chart. I would think this report was right on if MB was #1 and Dayne was #2. Kind of strange that Tatum is #2. Oh well, I got Dayne in the 8th and MB out of free agency so hopefully one of those 2 takes the role.

The only thing that makes me question all of this is the fact Dayne has been praised all camp and now he is put at #3 on the depth chart. I would think this report was right on if MB was #1 and Dayne was #2. Kind of strange that Tatum is #2. Oh well, I got Dayne in the 8th and MB out of free agency so hopefully one of those 2 takes the role.

IMHO, this is simply because the COP back is listed at #2. Bell is the COP back, regardless of who's starting.

But the fact remains that once Shanahan decides on his #1 RB for the regular season, if the guy stays healthy he's the guy Shanahan feeds the ball to.

Not so with Reuben Droughns, who came out of nowhere to take all the carries after Q. Griffith was named the #1 RB for the regular season. Griffith got benched not because he got hurt but because he sucked.

If Dayne is 3rd on the depth chart, I would put him as odds on favorite to be the starter on opening day.

thought of this too. very curious that Dayne would precipitously drop below both Bells. it sounds to me that Dayne might be listed at #3 for THIS game because he's been getting a lot of looks in camp and might have already solidified a major role in the offense going forward.

almost like when a #1 guy is questionable for a regular season game but suits up as the "#3" RB in case of any emergencies.

Not so with Reuben Droughns, who came out of nowhere to take all the carries after Q. Griffith was named the #1 RB for the regular season. Griffith got benched not because he got hurt but because he sucked.

No, you'd be wrong there. Griffith started even though he played 4 successive poor games, but got hurt. That's when Shanahan turned to Droughns (because he really had no other options left on the roster), Droughns proved himself in games, and Griffith never got his job back when he got healthy.

I'll try to find a link or two to back it up, but I know that was the succession of events.

Post edit. Here you go - Droughns only started because of injuries to Mike Anderson, Tatum Bell, Garrison Hearst, and Quentin Griffin:

LINK

Griffin questionable, Droughns in waitingAssociated Press

National Football League News Wire

DENVER -- Broncos running back Quentin Griffin missed his second straight practice Thursday because of a sprained ankle.

Coach Mike Shanahan said Griffin's status for Sunday's game against Carolina will be determined after Friday's practice.

"If he can't go full speed and it doesn't look good, then obviously, he won't go during the game," Shanahan said.

Griffin's injury could open up more playing time for Reuben Droughns, a fifth-year veteran who was brought to the Broncos as a blocking fullback but has gotten more chances to run of late.

Earlier this week, Shanahan drew comparisons between Droughns and Mike Anderson, who ran for 1,487 yards his rookie season and later made the transition to fullback to make room for Clinton Portis.

Droughns got his chance because of injuries to backups Tatum Bell and Garrison Hearst. Bell, a second-round draft pick from Oklahoma State, made it off the injury list this week. Hearst is listed as probable, also with an injured ankle.

Edited by Bronco Billy

No, you'd be wrong there. Griffith started even though he played 4 successive poor games, but got hurt. That's when Shanahan turned to Droughns (because he really had no other options left on the roster), Droughns proved himself in games, and Griffith never got his job back when he got healthy.

I'll try to find a link or two to back it up, but I know that was the succession of events.

I think he's right. Griffin started the first 4 games, but wasn't playing well and got benched in favor of Droughns. He tore his ACL in game 7 in a KO return and was then lost for the season.

EDIT: Found some relevant info. Griffin did miss a week with an ankle sprain, but even after being pronounced healthy, stayed on the bench because he was playing poorly and Droughns was playing well.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

Could be. I thought he turned to Droughns after Griffith fumbled a couple times in a game. :D

Well you're supposed to act like you knew, and you know play the I am a genius card and give everyone in the league a big fat :D

I feel that way cause I picked him up last week in my dynasty. Via my taxi squad. Its just amazing. I feel you should do that but being honest. I'm shocked because of his draft status. I just saw him as a SUPER SLEEPER!. So I guess what the heck :D

BB is right -- especially about M. Bell's blocking. Shanahan praised him for it, and I'm sure that's a big reason he trusts him enough to try him out at #1.

What most of you guys are getting wrong is Shanny's basic personality. Why is he announcing the #1 RB already? BECAUSE it's Mike Bell. If the starter were T. Bell or Dayne, it wouldn't be "surprising" or "daring" enough to announce. Shanahan has a healthy ego and he LOVES the fact that he can find diamonds in the rough and then watch them perform beyond everyone ELSE'S expectations.

This is just another example of Shanny daring everyone to doubt his acumen. He must like Mike Bell a lot, since he knows his reputation could take a (minor) hit if he fails.

M. Bell is definitely the first Denver RB I'd draft today.

BB is right -- especially about M. Bell's blocking. Shanahan praised him for it, and I'm sure that's a big reason he trusts him enough to try him out at #1.

What most of you guys are getting wrong is Shanny's basic personality. Why is he announcing the #1 RB already? BECAUSE it's Mike Bell. If the starter were T. Bell or Dayne, it wouldn't be "surprising" or "daring" enough to announce. Shanahan has a healthy ego and he LOVES the fact that he can find diamonds in the rough and then watch them perform beyond everyone ELSE'S expectations.

This is just another example of Shanny daring everyone to doubt his acumen. He must like Mike Bell a lot, since he knows his reputation could take a (minor) hit if he fails.

M. Bell is definitely the first Denver RB I'd draft today.

...and when would you draft him. How many picks/rounds later would you draft TBell/Dayne? Those are the more important questions IMO.

...and when would you draft him. How many picks/rounds later would you draft TBell/Dayne? Those are the more important questions IMO.

I think a better question is, how confident are you that whoever is listed as their #1 RB as of your draft date will be productive enough to start on your fantasy team? Mike Anderson was last year, and Bell had some great games too. Are you willing to roll the dice that that guy, whoever he is, will hold on to his job all season, or even if he slips to #2, will he get enough carries to justify being a fantasy starter? Because if he doesn't, and you drafted him in the 4th or 5th round, you're going to be doing a lot of :D

I hate, hate, hate this situation. If I drafted last week, I took Dayne first, the week before that, Bell. As of today, am I supposed to move this other Bell up my rankings? Some undrafted rookie I just heard about for the first time 2 weeks ago? And if I just avoid all Denver backs altogether, I know one of them is going to end up being huge by mid season and I'll have to face that owner. Again, may I just say :D !!!

I think we have no choice but to move all 3 way down the rankings so we don't draft any of them higher than a #3 or 4 RB. My gut says Dayne is the pick but with Denver you just never know.

Right now? Wow, what a tough question.

IF you can find the right RB, and IF he becomes DEN's main weapon, history has shown that he'll be a top 10 RB at least.

How long does one take the risk of someone else jumping on M Bell and balance that against the risk throwing away a decent draft pick for a guy who was an UDFA & hasn't played in the NFL yet? Shanahan's magic has worked more than once before and produced great numbers out of nobodies - in fact when he names a RB #1 that RB has a chance to be exceptional, with the notbale exceptions of Quentin Griffin (who it should be noted was #2 on the depth chart until Mike Anderson was injured in a preseason game & lost for the season) and Olandis Gary, who was merely average as a starting FF RB.

I do know that I'd let T Bell slide & get grabbed by someone else. I think he's the CoP regardless of what happens between M Bell & Dayne. Man - I guess I'd be willing to take a chance on a M Bell/Dayne combo somewhere around the 7th to 9th round. I can find WRs afterwards who will fill a miss there pretty adequately, and that would put the 2 as a #3 RB, which means there's more tolerance for a swing & a miss at one of the spots. The upside is pretty strong - even M Anderson did very well last year FF-wise in an intentional RBBC and outperformed his draft position by a bunch.

The only real advantage is that everyone is on unknown footing when it comes to how M Bell will perform in the bigs when the real stuff starts. That should make all 3 DEN RBs drop significantly.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Right now? Wow, what a tough question.

IF you can find the right RB, and IF he becomes DEN's main weapon, history has shown that he'll be a top 10 RB at least.

How long does one take the risk of someone else jumping on M Bell and balance that against the risk throwing away a decent draft pick for a guy who was an UDFA & hasn't played in the NFL yet? Shanahan's magic has worked more than once before and produced great numbers out of nobodies - in fact when he names a RB #1 that RB has a chance to be exceptional, with the notbale exceptions of Quentin Griffin (who it should be noted was #2 on the depth chart until Mike Anderson was injured in a preseason game & lost for the season) and Olandis Gary, who was merely average as a starting FF RB.

I do know that I'd let T Bell slide & get grabbed by someone else. I think he's the CoP regardless of what happens between M Bell & Dayne. Man - I guess I'd be willing to take a chance on a M Bell/Dayne combo somewhere around the 7th to 9th round. I can find WRs afterwards who will fill a miss there pretty adequately, and that would put the 2 as a #3 RB, which means there's more tolerance for a swing & a miss at one of the spots. The upside is pretty strong - even M Anderson did very well last year FF-wise in an intentional RBBC and outperformed his draft position by a bunch.

The only real advantage is that everyone is on unknown footing when it comes to how M Bell will perform in the bigs when the real stuff starts. That should make all 3 DEN RBs drop significantly.

If I drafted in any of my leagues today (glad I don't), I'd have to skip all 3 until at least the 7th. If this depth chart is still the same at the end of preseason, it must mean M. Bell just blew everyone away and is the guy, so I'd have no problem taking him around the 4th. I agree that whoever is #1 will likely be a top 10 back.

I'm not going to pretend I had any idea that an undrafted rookie would move up to the top of the depth chart this quickly, but Denver's interest in both Chris Brown and Thomas Jones gave me an indication that Skeletor was no where near being sold on either T. Bell or Dayne as his feature back.