[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone have info about

jgcoach

If DD can't play, my money is on Lundy. A. Smith sucks, plain and simple. Always has and always will. He's only averaged over 4.0 ypc once in his career and whatever little speed he used to have is gone now that he's 34. And if the Texans don't know this yet, they'll figure it out after starting him once.

The new staff is not a Morency fan. Couple of blurbs from RotoWorld:

Texans RB Vernand Morency is reportedly doing a better job adapting to Houston's new blocking scheme.

With Domanick Davis a major question mark, Morency has a chance for fantasy relevance if he can ditch his shake-and-bake style. The Texans prefer a one-cut style and veteran Antowain Smith probably has the edge over Morency right now. (Aug 3)

Texans coach Gary Kubiak hinted Wednesday that Vernand Morency is indeed battling for a roster spot.

"I was very impressed with Chris Taylor," Kubiak said of the undrafted free agent. "Morency...is going to battle with some good young football players." Sounds like it's not just Morency's bout with plantar fascitis that has put him on the bubble. (July 26)

Vernand Morency missed recent OTAs with plantar fascitis.

This helps explain his slide down the depth chart and the injury is worrisome because it often lingers for a season. The new coaching staff has been impressed with Antowain Smith and rookie Wali Lundy, which doesn't bode well for Morency. (June 26)

Texans coach Gary Kubiak believes Vernand Morency is a poor fit for the team's one-cut running style.

"He's more of a shifty-type runner, and that's not what we want him to do," Kubiak said of Morency. "We tell them they get one cut and then they have to get the ball downfield." The Houston Chronicle says Morency is competing for the No. 3 running back job, not the backup job. (May 19)

While the most recent one sounds more upbeat, the one a week prior to that did not. So by default, the guy left is Lundy, the only guy at RB that the new staff drafted.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not laughing about him having a possibly serious injury. I just can't believe all the talk before the draft about how the Texans didn't need a back. They should trade down. They don't need Bush. Blah, blah, blah.

Bush would look pretty good as a Texan right now. Their offensive line would look better. Carr would be better. But nope.

Glad they are a division rival.

Not laughing about him having a possibly serious injury. I just can't believe all the talk before the draft about how the Texans didn't need a back. They should trade down. They don't need Bush. Blah, blah, blah.

Bush would look pretty good as a Texan right now. Their offensive line would look better. Carr would be better. But nope.

Sorry, I guess I am a moran! :D

Gary Kubiak comes from Denver where great backs were created from snow cone vendors and janitors, so it is no surprise that he would not feel he needs an overpaid back to make his system work. Plus his system is the old "one cut and up the field" whereas Bush is "five cuts and reverse field".

While I agree that Denver has had great success going with the plug & play RB, I have no doubt that Bush playing in that system for the Texans, would be incredible.

Too bad we won't get to see it.

i will NEVER forgive the Texans for passing on Bush. There was no reason to pass, and they dropped him right to a division rival. :D

The zone blocking of the Houston OL was VERY impressive. They have it down. Just as important were the punishing FB lead blocks. Regardless of who wins the starting role as the Texans RB, he'll be worth drafting unless it ends up being a RBBC. I don't think Kubiak would do that.

i will NEVER forgive the Texans for passing on Bush. There was no reason to pass, and they dropped him right to a division rival. :D

Wow, you're about to get slammed. :D The Texans and Saints aren't even in the same Conference

Wow, you're about to get slammed. :D The Texans and Saints aren't even in the same Conference

not the Texans division...i'm a panthers fan. I could care less about the Texans not having him, I just don't want the sunuva in my division

When I gloat over past comments that came true, I'm the closest thing to Satan, yet you do it on a daily basis, when the results have yet to be determined. It is certainly looking like you may have been right, but, why don't you wait until the final results come in before gloating daily about your victory.

If the Texans didn't kmow the situation DD was in, then I think they were ok to make the move they did. We're into one preseason, that's all. At any rate, if Lundy can continue doing what he did, I don't know that having or not having DD will be bad. The real answer to whether they made the right decision will lay with Bush and how he excells or doesn't. If one preseason game tells the tale, the Texans blew it. I'd rather wait for a bit to make that decision though.

When I gloat over past comments that came true, I'm the closest thing to Satan, yet you do it on a daily basis, when the results have yet to be determined. It is certainly looking like you may have been right, but, why don't you wait until the final results come in before gloating daily about your victory.

crawl back under your black and gold rock please.

I forgot you're a Dom Davis owner. . .

FYI, I'm laughing at the Texans, not you personally. :D

Edited by CaptainHook

If I had to guess today, I would guess

Davis-Smith-Lundy

I think Taylor will kept for special teams

I do not see Morency making the team.

There has been a lot of talk here about Davis health. This is all third hand info, but from the interviews with Kubiak (since Davis is not doing any), I would expect Davis to play against Philly on the 10th, and be the starter for the season. Kubiak does not at all seem concerned about Davis ability to play whenever he has been questioned. I also see the Texans having a very successful rushing program this season, as the line looked really good last night. Heck, even Carr ran for positive yards. :D

Disclaimer: I do not own any Texans RB's in any league. However, I do live in Houston and drink the kool-aid. It will be nice to see them roll into big D and serve those hated cowboys up with ANOTHER loss. :D

I have some doubt as to how the Texans medical staff would have missed something that big. It was arthroscopic surgery, and he came back too early. Swelling happens with any surgery. If it would have been similar to Martin and Faulk, they would have found it long before the draft. It just doesnt add up.

Never said you were laughing at me personally. You are gloating that you feel DD's injuries are justifying your comments that the Texans made a HUGH mistake. Time will tell if they made a mistake or not, now is not the time to gloat. You gloat AFTER things go your way, like when you win a Super Bowl, oops, nevermind, you wouldn't know anything about that. :D:D

I'm laughing at the people who decided to draft him this year when a red flag went up as a warning months ago...

I'm laughing at the people who decided to draft him this year when a red flag went up as a warning months ago...

I've only got him in one of my 7 leagues. It was a keeper league, and I unfortunately had no choice but to take the gamble with him. I'm obviously not liking what I'm hearing thus far, but, it is no different than last year's pre-season. I'm just going to hope for the best. I do have Parker & Tiki in that league as well, so I should be pretty safe.

I've only got him in one of my 7 leagues. It was a keeper league, and I unfortunately had no choice but to take the gamble with him. I'm obviously not liking what I'm hearing thus far, but, it is no different than last year's pre-season. I'm just going to hope for the best. I do have Parker & Tiki in that league as well, so I should be pretty safe.

yeah you're not in bad shape...

what round did you get DD in?

but from the interviews with Kubiak (since Davis is not doing any) Kubiak does not at all seem concerned about Davis ability to play whenever he has been questioned.

Really?

KFFL

Texans | D. Davis injury update

Published Thu Aug 10 8:35:00 p.m. ET 2006

(KFFL) Associated Press reports Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak said RB Domanick Davis (knee) is still bothered by a knee injury. "We're hoping for Domanick to get back," Kubiak said. However, Kubiak said if the knee continues to give Davis problems the team is going to have to find someone else that can step up and be the team's starting tailback.

Aug. 12, 2006, 12:46AM

By JOHN MCCLAIN

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

"We're putting this team together to go play Philadelphia," Kubiak said about the regular-season opener against the Eagles. "If Domanick isn't ready to go, the guy that dots the 'I' for us is going to be one of those five guys out here working every day.

chron.com

I have some doubt as to how the Texans medical staff would have missed something that big. It was arthroscopic surgery, and he came back too early. Swelling happens with any surgery. If it would have been similar to Martin and Faulk, they would have found it long before the draft. It just doesnt add up.

Dude, the reason he has so little cartlidge in his knee, is because of the arthroscopic surgery. They cleaned some of it out. It didn't just magically disappear guy. Some people can handle the removal of some cartlidge better than others. DD seems to fall in the others category.

Gary Kubiak comes from Denver where great backs were created from snow cone vendors and janitors

Well, at the very least, Mike Anderson was a former Marine... :D

Gary Kubiak comes from Denver where great backs were created from snow cone vendors and janitors, so it is no surprise that he would not feel he needs an overpaid back to make his system work. Plus his system is the old "one cut and up the field" whereas Bush is "five cuts and reverse field".

It doesn't get much truer than that. :D

If Kubiak doesn't like Morency's "shake-and-bake" style, I'm guessing he didn't consider Bush a "must-have" player for his system.

Plus, if Davis and/or Lundy ends up racking up a bunch of rushing yards, then the point will be very moot. Mario Williams would be the smart choice.

It doesn't get much truer than that. :D

If Kubiak doesn't like Morency's "shake-and-bake" style, I'm guessing he didn't consider Bush a "must-have" player for his system.

Plus, if Davis and/or Lundy ends up racking up a bunch of rushing yards, then the point will be very moot. Mario Williams would be the smart choice.

:D That depends on just how god or bad Reggie is. Let's re-visit this in December.

Edited by Randall