[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Football & Diminishing Enjoyment

Chief Dick

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some who have talked of burn out have mentioned time "wasted" with this hobby. I disagree with this. Just about everyone has hobbies. If this one brings you a little diversion fromthe stresses of "real" life and provides you with fun, it is anything but a waste.

As another posted--moderation.

And I need that time to be a good husband and father, a good son to my parents, a good brother to my siblings, and a good friend to my closest compadres.

This is something that is different for each person. However, if you feel that Fantasy footall is affecting your time with those listed above, you are making the right decision.

For me, I do put a lot of time into this hobby, but, if it ever effected my love of football, and more importantly, my committment to my family, I wouldn't think twice about walking away from it. I truly never let the Steelers or fantasy football ruin my days. I simply love watching football, love it all, but, when it's over, it's over, and I do realize that my true priorities in this life are God, my family, & my friends.

Best wishes to you in figuring out that happy medium, whatever it ends up being. :D

Thanks to all for the responses.

I've thought about the idea of scaling back, but the problem is where to draw the line. I currently play in:

1. Long time local redraft. This one is with my closest friends, and if I only played in one league, this would be it.

2. Local keeper league.

3. Dynasty league. This one is a BOTH league, and like the concept of the dynasty format. Also the most time consuming of all of them.

4. 32 Homers. Another BOTH league, and I like the unique format of it.

5. Local redraft #2. Just joined this one last year as a favor to a friend. I could easily drop this one after this year.

As you see, I am already in a diverse group of leagues. The second local redraft will definitely be dropped next year, but I hate to break commitments to the other leagues. I am one of those guys who will stay loyal to a decision forever, almost to a fault. Part of me feels I'm letting the leagues down if I decide to bail because I know how hard it is to find people who give a darn enough to be a good owner. And at best I consider myself a pretty active owner.

Theoretically I could drop the 2nd local redraft and the 32Homers league, which leaves me with three, all with different formats. But even the thought of three next year makes me cringe.

Glad to see that others have been though this. Maybe I just drop the 2 and try the three next year and see what happens.

Edited by Chief Dick

Yea...went from 7-8 leagues last year to 4 leagues this year. I will just say that you have to be borderline freaked out to not experience diminished returns on a hobby like FF. We aren't spring chickens anymore.

I remember my first year, drafting a QB in the first round, getting my rearend kicked, but cheering for every single guy on my team like it was life or death. I became aware of the importance of RBs in my 2nd year and drafted Emmit Smith along with a rookie named Edgerrin James; my starting QB was Doug Flutie but I won it all that year.

That was a strange and innocent time. Having one team. Nothing else mattered.

Now I have multiple players that I cheer for and cheer against due to the multiple leagues I've joined. Not only that, I am betting on 5-6 games a week. It's like I set myself up for a mathmatically impossible parlay of Fantasy Football and real time money. I don't know if I should get excited when TJ Houshmanzadeuah catches a TD pass or if I should curse him out. Did Housmanzaduah win me a FF game? Did he lose me a bet? Am I cheering for a terrorist?

No matter, I put blinders on and cheer for the Seahawks like there is no tommorow. After that I cheer for my bets and my FF teams. The chips will fall, but I love this game and I love all this ridiculous stuff I do with it.

:D

If three makes you cringe, then 3 is too many. I respect your loyalty to the leagues but when you come down to it, it's only a fantasy football hobby--not life and death (I can say this because I am DMD's favorite). Pick one or two and dump the rest. We all have enough chores in our lives, fantasy football shouldn't be one of them.

I don't know CD........I say just take a whole season off. Clear your mind of the whole FF situation. I am approaching the same delimna here with FF. I upted the amount of leagues I am in this season by 3 (from 2 to 5). So far, it's been a chore.

I went through this same type of burnout with playing softball. I was on 6 different rosters. 2 as a call-player. Of course, the one night about every 2 weeks I didn't have a scheduled game, I got called to play somewhere else. I totally missed the spring and summer, not too mention played on 2 fall teams. Tourneys EVERY weekend. 2 of my teams were very competitive, win, win, win. Have fun after you win :D

Yeah, I miss the game. But I miss hangin with some of the buds I had on the different teams. I miss helping some of the younger players adapt to the game. And I even miss the competition to a certain point. I will play again next season. I already discussed this with the coach. I am playing on ONE team. It will be my Sunday morning league. We play 1 double header and see ya next week.

Anyway....you do what you need to do. Only you know the answer to that. I just sayin', FF isn't going anywhere. You take a season off. Root for your Chefs, have fun with the little one in your avi, rest your mind and see you in 08.

Good luck with whatever you chose.

Maybe I just drop the 2 and try the three next year and see what happens.

Might be the best way to go CD.

However, I think that the one league that is causing you the most trouble and doubt could be the year-round Dynasty league. In the past you could pretty well hang it up from Feb to July/August. Recharge your FF batteries and concentrate on other things. A Dynasty league doesn't let you do that and so you are playing FF year-round and it is draining your enthusiasm.

I am sure you would miss it more than you know if you were to quit cold turkey. You have always appeared to me to enjoy FF ALOT. So slowly dropping leagues until you have a favorite or two might be the way to go.

As others have mentioned, the key for me is to play only in one league. It gets too schizo if you are in more ("Great, LT scored...no, wait, they guys playing against me in the other two leagues have him").

I like FF because it keeps me involved in what's going on in the rest of the NFL, instead of just rooting for the Bears and against the Packers.

Bottom line...it's supposed to be fun. If it is not, walk away.

Two leagues is the absolutely max for me. People who play 10 leagues probably do so because they know they'll win at least one of them, it's a good way to cover your bases and then they can say crap like, "I've won the league title 10 straight years", which is virtually a statistical impossibility playing in just one league with competent competition.

I quit my 2nd league this year, because I had a falling out with the commissioner (and he subsequently dropped out of mine) so I am down to one league, my own...That focus has made me more interested (not less) and I am having more fun (not less) this year.

My advice is...if you start losing the fantasy edge, definately scale back your league participation.

If three makes you cringe, then 3 is too many. I respect your loyalty to the leagues but when you come down to it, it's only a fantasy football hobby--not life and death (I can say this because I am DMD's favorite). Pick one or two and dump the rest. We all have enough chores in our lives, fantasy football shouldn't be one of them.

What he said.

1. Long time local redraft. This one is with my closest friends, and if I only played in one league, this would be it.

4. 32 Homers. Another BOTH league, and I like the unique format of it.

These are what I play in. The dynasty gives you something to do in the off season, and the local is the most fun (imo). Our local is all about trash talk and bragging rights.

Good luck.

I've only been playin for 3 years and this year I have upped my leagues to 3. Honestly it is overwhelming to manage that many leagues, furthermore you find yourself playing with and against the same players. I loved last year because I was in one league and I was undeafeted through 13 games. Ironically I finished 4th and didn't even get any money out of it. Also last year I had some issue's where I questioned trades and that put a strain on friendships that are just now being fixed. This year my persepective is to have fun, don't spend to much time preparing, and don't take this stuff to serious. Don't get me wrong I'm as competitive and anyone. Anyway I will always participate in the hobby, I will never do more then 2 league's. I have a little girl on the way and a time may come where family time supesedes this hobby but I doubt it will. Like anything mederation is key. Good Luck All!

but I hate to break commitments to the other leagues. I am one of those guys who will stay loyal to a decision forever, almost to a fault. Part of me feels I'm letting the leagues down if I decide to bail because I know how hard it is to find people who give a darn enough to be a good owner. And at best I consider myself a pretty active owner.

This is me. I gave serious consideration to dropping several leagues this year to the point that I was sure I was going to drop 3 of my leagues. I have never quit on a league and couldn't bring myself to do so this year.

One thing I have done ... once all my lineups are set Sunday morning I put all my fantasy games out of my mind and simply watch football. I don't even look at my opponent's lineups anymore. So during the games when the ticker runs I may take note of one of my players scoring but for the most part I don't know who my opponents have so I don't know how my teams are doing.

Typically after the Sunday afternoon games have completed I will check on my games.

Haven't read many replies but as (at least) one person said, scale back. I'll never understand people in whole bunches of leagues (I've actually heard of being of 6-7 or more, what in the flip...how you could keep even semi-track of all that and have a life/not be burned out escapes me). In fact I'm in 2 this year and it's one too many IMO.

Also scale back on the msg board thing; my time on them has varied, but generally I just do it when I have spare time ie am not doing much of anything else (if things are slow at work....or Sunday morning while drinking coffee :D ). And I don't have a family; if I did, no way would I even consider more than 1 league, and my msg board time would be near zero.

Having said all that, even tho I've been in mostly just 1 league, I'm also getting burned out of it...but it's for diff reasons entirely, ie the owners. Most seem to be either one extreme or the other nowdays, ie

1 - ultra-dweebs w/no life who just live for FF

2 - "normal" people who love football (and maybe the gambling aspect) but are really casual (ie lazy) FFers that do it more just because it's "the thing to do" and really are only barely into it.

When I first started playing, most owners were in the middle; they didn't live for it, but did get into having fun w/it and weren't such boring/lame owners, eg:

- they really got into the draft. They weren't interested in seeing how quick they could get it over with and weren't going "hurry up and pick" - we'd cook out, etc. Once in awhile people would even try to make trades of picks/etc during the draft. No more. Now people whine if a draft goes more than 4 hrs and that's even pushing it. Almost like it's a chore. ??

- they'd make trade offers during the year and were active on the waiver wire

- they talked up the smack. esp fun was getting together (or try) for games and ripping on each other's players during the games

....in other words, basically they got into it. No more. Half the people who play I wonder why they even bother.

At this rate I think I'll be out of it entirely within the next few years at most myself, unless a miracle occurs and I find a league that is like my orig league was years ago.

There are several problems with having too many leagues and GTD is one of them. With rumors flying this morning about Westbrook and Bledsoe, that's FOUR leagues I have to worry about the starting lineup. Another good reason to pare back to a manageable number.

I'd like to :D what Sky said above, also. Very sound advice.

My plan is to cut from 5 to 3 next year (one of the 3 is in a league I commish; I'm trying to get my wife to take over that team, so it would technically be down to 2 leagues); I'll let ya know how it works out for me.

This is me. I gave serious consideration to dropping several leagues this year to the point that I was sure I was going to drop 3 of my leagues. I have never quit on a league and couldn't bring myself to do so this year.

One thing I have done ... once all my lineups are set Sunday morning I put all my fantasy games out of my mind and simply watch football. I don't even look at my opponent's lineups anymore. So during the games when the ticker runs I may take note of one of my players scoring but for the most part I don't know who my opponents have so I don't know how my teams are doing.

Typically after the Sunday afternoon games have completed I will check on my games.

This is how I roll also. I keep watch my players only. There's no reason to get stressed out by worrying about other players not on your team. Each week, I'm hoping to score 120+ and if that happens most likely the outcome will be favorable for me. One thing's for sure: :I sure do love Fantasy Football

Edited by Brentastic

here's a solution: "hire" an apprentice. Have a contest on the huddle, the winner gets to manage your teams next year while you take a year off (and gets half your winnings). If you decide you miss it too much, you can advise the apprentice as much or as little as you want, and you decide after the season whether to let them keep your teams or take them back.