[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Football & Diminishing Enjoyment

Chief Dick

here's a solution: "hire" an apprentice. Have a contest on the huddle, the winner gets to manage your teams next year while you take a year off (and gets half your winnings). If you decide you miss it too much, you can advise the apprentice as much or as little as you want, and you decide after the season whether to let them keep your teams or take them back.

Now this could be interesting.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here's a solution: "hire" an apprentice. Have a contest on the huddle, the winner gets to manage your teams next year while you take a year off (and gets half your winnings). If you decide you miss it too much, you can advise the apprentice as much or as little as you want, and you decide after the season whether to let them keep your teams or take them back.

This could be good. :popcorn:

I've been playing this game for 9 years now, and it seems that every year gets harder and harder to get excited about this hobby. The draft is usually a very anticipated event, but I know my enthusiasm has been tempered for the last several years. The reality of the situation is that I just don't really care about it any more. I know I continue to play because I have committed to my various leagues and will try to see them through, but the more I think about it the more I just want to walk away from it.

Don't know if it's because of the longevity of playing, the new family commitments I have now, or just plain apathy at doing the same thing every year. What really got be thinking about it was last week. The Chiefs lost, and most of my FF teams lost, and it really put me in a bad frame of mind the rest of the day and the early part of the week. And I started wondering why this fantasy football thing has such a hold on me.

It's almost like a drug in that you start with one league, and then you obsess and want more. You enter multiple leagues and all of a sudden it starts to really affect the way you think about football, and it really affects the most precious commodity we all have: TIME. And as I get older, time is my enemy. And when I think about the things most important, and how I allocate time to them, suddenly fantasy football seems like a serious waste of what precious time I have.

And when you throw in all the time I sit here reading, studying, and interacting, it drains that much more time from more important things.

I am starting to think I will walk away from this hobby all together after this year. And I've really enjoyed the competition, the added interest in football, and the added friendships I've been able to cultivate. But at this point it just takes up time. And I need that time to be a good husband and father, a good son to my parents, a good brother to my siblings, and a good friend to my closest compadres.

So to all here, thanks for letting me get this off my chest, and thanks for any advice. And thanks for allowing me to be a part of this community: it truly means more to me than you all can ever know.

Why not post a pic of yer hemeroids? Yeah, the Chiefs suck, and will suck for a few years until they get rid of Herm the Werm. Try being a Jets fan.... or worse, if there is such a thing, a Lions fan.

These sort of posts come up every year. What do you want... a pep talk? Looking to find others to say they have had enough? A pat on the back? You want someone to tell you what you need or don't need to do to be a good husband or father? manage yer life.... but why bring it into this forum? Is this an apology for quiting your leagues? Tell them.

I hate these "I have had enough (I think)" threads. Hey, if your life and family are suffering because of FF, do what you have to do. Don't whine about it.

Why not post a pic of yer hemeroids? Yeah, the Chiefs suck, and will suck for a few years until they get rid of Herm the Werm. Try being a Jets fan.... or worse, if there is such a thing, a Lions fan.

These sort of posts come up every year. What do you want... a pep talk? Looking to find others to say they have had enough? A pat on the back? You want someone to tell you what you need or don't need to do to be a good husband or father? manage yer life.... but why bring it into this forum? Is this an apology for quiting your leagues? Tell them.

I hate these "I have had enough (I think)" threads. Hey, if your life and family are suffering because of FF, do what you have to do. Don't whine about it.

Now that's the way to be a grumpy, ugly old man!!!! :D

The chiefs are actually pretty good this year, mainly defense. They would own the jets no problem.

I feel all warm inside now.

I'm curious--why do you want to see a picture of his hemorrhoids? Personally, if this were in a poll, I'd vote to not see that picture.

I hear ya about time and family. I would suggest only playing a local and possibly a big cash league. More than two leagues can leave you saying "what does it all mean?". One week you start AND play against Kurt Warner -- that is when you begin to doubt the fun.

I agree with Blitz..It helps to set your lineup and let it roll..It is possible you feel this way because as you mentioned the Chiefs are 0-2 and your fantasy teams have had a rough start..I agree with what you said though my moods are sometimes determined by how my team does and that isnt good..Especially if you have a family..Im in 5 leagues now..Added 2 this offseason. although the added leagues are a bit overhwelming I didnt want to pass on them because of the huddlers that are in these 2 leagues. Between the 5 leagues and MVP 2 survivor pools and the Blitz my head is spinning but im still addicted to it..I commish my main local which is my favorite league but a ton of work..Family time and multiple fantasy leagues is a tough juggle sometimes. There are a few sundays a season that I just let my games ride and hang with the family all day..You have to do what works for you..Good luck..If you decide to hang it up it goes without saying we would still want you pop in on the boards..I understand that my constant smack downs against you forced you out of friday night poker but at least stick around the boards..

Sounds like somebody lost all there games this week and is in a bad mood.

A lot of us here like to talk things through with our Huddle family members. We post our thoughts and things get worked through. We can use a "pep talk" every once in awhile. If you weren't so new here maybe you would know that. But then again probably not.

I'm not sure why you have become such an ass about things, but it just seems to me that if you don't have anything constructive to say why not keep your piehole shut?! There was no reason to slam CD with your hate. You don't like these kinds of threads? Then don't read them. Because you can rest assured.... there will be more of them every year.

I'm totally with you man. I've been playing for about 9 years as well and the enjoyment of fantasy football isn't at all what it used to be. I've cut down my # of teams as well over the years and I'm still just not as excited by it. In my opnion, fantasy baseball is FAR superior and more enjoyable for me b/c it relies on more skill and strategy. The problem with football is it's ALL about luck, and you either have it or you don't, like me. The same handful of guys luck out every year. A good draft means nothing if you go up against the high score EVERY week which I've done since about Week 4 of last year.

Edited by malta69

I understand. I'm thinking that taking it back to 1 or 2 leagues would go a long way toward reducing the "work" and increasing the enjoyment

i am finding that that is what im going to have to do... im in way to many this year and the fun is not there

i've been in one league for 15 years. that's it. never understood how more teams would be more enjoyable. i like to know who and what i'm rooting for. and it ain't work, its just added enjoyment to watching football, which i'll always do.

in the end its only a game. you find your own pleasure in life. don't make things bigger than they are. family comes first obviously, but everyone needs a little meaningless fun.

I went 0-4 this week in fantasy football and my team lost an important game in awful fashion. I probably feel a bit like you do (or did), but the thing is these kind of weeks are rare most seasons, maybe 2 or 3 per season. I know that next week will probably be better and come Thursday or Friday I'll be getting excited about football again.

Sorry to hear that it's not so fun for you, Chief.

I went from 7 teams last year down to 4 for this year. Then the invotes started rolling in. I resisted several, but ended up saying yes to a few.

I had 2 locals. I am keeping them.

I am in the Bling Bling league. I like this league. It is 12 teams, but big rosters and big line-ups. It's tough stuff. I will keep this almost without question.

I am in the Prime Time HAG league. I like the concept. It's fun to play across the age groups.

I joined the 32 Homers league after I had left the 32 more homers league behind. It wasn't something against the 32 more Homers, and I didn;t look to get in this league. The invite came from a bud, though, and it is a low maintenence league.

I joined the ConFusion IDP Dynasty league. I had hoped to get into Fusion in the offseason, but a more senior Huddler got the invite. Then this came along and as it's roughly the same format, I figured I'd give it a go.

Lastly I am placeholding Cave Dwellers for Crispirons. He had some bad mojo for a little while, and was not in communication with the league. I took over because I am a caveman...it just felt right.

I am also in the Huddle Survivor league, but that's a draft and forget league, so it doesn't count.

After this season I will most likely keep the 2 locals, Bling, PT, ConFusion, 32 Homers, and the Survivor. Cave Dwellers will go back to Crispy, and really that's at the upper limit of leagues I can manage and have fun. It would be easier if I was not a commish in 3.

I think each person has to decide what level of time they can commit, and also what formats they participate in. My locals are there for horsing around with my friends. My online leagues are that to a lesser degree, but I choose them as much for the format as I do for the people in them. It's definitely a balance.

This is me. I gave serious consideration to dropping several leagues this year to the point that I was sure I was going to drop 3 of my leagues. I have never quit on a league and couldn't bring myself to do so this year.

One thing I have done ... once all my lineups are set Sunday morning I put all my fantasy games out of my mind and simply watch football. I don't even look at my opponent's lineups anymore. So during the games when the ticker runs I may take note of one of my players scoring but for the most part I don't know who my opponents have so I don't know how my teams are doing.

Typically after the Sunday afternoon games have completed I will check on my games.

Agree 100% with you Grits -I'm in 5 leagues (2 local redraft - one my current CPA firm and another with my previous firm - a league I formed in 1989; 2 BoTH - GvE and 32 HomarRRRs; and one as a co-owner with IDP's). Gives me enough variety to keep it interesting. The IDP league we meet and set our lineup on Thurs. or Fri. and my co-owner keeps a tab on it. For all my other leagues, set the lineup on Friday after reading the news from The Huddle and set up my spreadsheet of my starters.

Sunday morning, check for any late injuries, tehn sit back with the remote and Direct Ticket watching my players. I don't even remember who my opponents are starting ... actually wait until I get into work on Monday morning to see if I won or lost. :D

Thanks sky for watchin' my back. :D

And to Rovers, I must say throughout my history here I have never whined or cried about anything. I would say I have always given an honest assessment of my Chiefs, in good and bad times, and have always tried to treat everyone here with respect. I can honestly say that if I have ever called someone out, it is usually for a pretty well grounded reason. So I'm sorry this thread made you respond like you did, because I know I have never shown you a complete lack of respect like you did me.

And to the others who responded here, thanks for your honest opinions. The whole point of my discussion was to see if others had experienced this sort of "burn out" associated with this hobby. Based on people's advice, I have already begun the thought process into what leagues I will be dropping next year, because I think sky said it first when he said to maybe scale back to a couple and see how it goes. And that's what I will do. And to be honest, the thought of doing this has actually made me see the light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak.

Edited by Chief Dick

Exactly what I was thinking. Man up for crissakes, or quit - who cares?