[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Conspiracy Theorist

Chief Dick

I believe that gambling drives sports. And outcomes of sports. And we see time and time again how officials calls seem dubious at best. I have always thought game officials have the easiest way to directly affect the outcomes of games, and consequently they are the easiest targets to be on the take. Take it one step further and think about whether the NFL is in the business of driving calls in a way that makes it advantageous for the gambling world to succeed. We all watch games where we see a call that is so blatantly bad you have to wonder how they could miss it. Even with the benefit of instant replay.

I started thinking about this a lot more after the Super Bowl last year, and how the whole Jerome Bettis homecoming story was just too good to be true. And we can all agree the Steelers benefitted tremendously from questionable calls. Including the Indy game.

Fast forward to this year, and we see the feel-good story of our generation unfolding in front of us. You have the New Orleans Saints rising from the despair of Hurricane Katrina and uplifting an entire city, and region, and country for that matter. Now imagine this team making a run to the NFC Championship game, and then to the Super Bowl. The hype for this team, and city, would be unprecedented. The entire nation would refocus on what is going on in New Orleans, triggering more awareness and money for the area.

And guess who is coming to the rescue? The good old NFL.

It will be interesting to see how the game unfolds this weekend, and if there are real suspect calls that go New Orleans way. I know, they still have to execute, and sometimes opponents can overcome those bad calls and win anyway. I just would not be surprised to see some interesting and controversial calls.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that gambling drives sports. And outcomes of sports.

While it's funny sometimes to try and cover up a homer teams' mistakes during a game by placing the blame on the refs, I've actually thought about this a lot more recently -- especially after last year. And this isn't just the NFL that I'm thinking money is driving the outcome of games. This could be happening in every major sporting event that has a lot of money riding on it. Vegas has an enormous amount of cash flow that to a certain extent could be considered as driving a portion of our economy. In fact, the deep roots of this money can probably be seen from Vegas all the way into politics, etc. Money is power. And with power you can do pretty much anything.

I don't like to think of sporting event outcomes being dictated by underground odds, and vegas, mainly because it delegitimizes the very core and fundamental part of millions of people's lives; sports, competition, and the fun of competitive games revolves around the fact that the best team, or person, and most prepared team will win the game. Not the team with the most money riding on a win.

It's interesting to talk about and consider the theory, but there's no way to prove this type of activity is happening. So in this case the best thing to do is hope it's not happening and enjoy the games. :clap:

...although, I gotta say, if the Saints go to the Super Bowl in the same "questionable" style as the Steelers did last year, and then win with the same questionable calls, then this theory of yours will probably be even more considered. That's not to say the Saints won't go, because they do have a great team, but it seems like all the stars are lining up in just the right places for the Saints... and some of the already questionable:

Saints somehow get Reggie Bush with the second overall draft pick. Did money tell the Texans not to pick Bush, or are they owners of the Texans really that stupid? :D

The Saints pull off a crazy turnaround season and win a first round bye and home field advantage throughout the playoffs. :bash:

...the rest of their story is yet to be determined.

But I do know one thing is for sure, and this is why I'm much happier having the Seahawks play the Bears rather than playing the Saints in New Orleans. It's going to be almost impossible for a team to go into New Orleans and win this weekends game. Whether I think this because money will drive the Saints to win, or because I think the Saints are actually good enough to beat any team in the NFC.... I don't know yet.

Good luck Eagles, 'cause you are really going to need it this weekend. :D

This isn't Pro Basketball :bash:

Of course the Patriots did win the SB after 9/11 :D

And remember how patriotic the Super Bowl was that year? :D

Well it looks like the Saints are already guaranteed to win it this year, so there's no use even playing the rest of the NFC playoff games. We could also just skip the AFC playoffs and let the Chargers go to lose against the Saints. Look on the good side of things, we get to watch two weeks of Hurricane Katrina flashbacks and what it took for the Saints to get to the Super Bowl! :clap:

some may slam this post of yours, not I.

Completely agree with it.

of course you do. :D:D

As much as I have posted in here on the SB and my Hawks last year - this is ridiculous. Too much money drives the NFL, and the integrity of the games is way to valuable to eff with. I like a good conspiracy theory, but not in the NFL.

The Sea/Pitt was completely suspek - but more of a bad game, and maybe som underlying bias from the refs seeing all the BS stories, but I do not honestly believe dat sh1t goes on in the NFL.

And as such, I will be on Philly +6.

And we can all agree the Steelers benefitted tremendously from questionable calls. Including the Indy game.

The Steeler benefitted from questionable calls in the Indy game ? They almost got robbed in the Indy game. Polamalu got a clear interception to ice the game. It was overturned incorrectly, which was admitted later by the head of officials and the Colts almost came back to take it. How did the Steeler benefit from calls in that game ? After the game there were several posts on here from non-Steeler fans saying they would have been sick if the Colts had won because the Steelers were robbed on the Polamalu call.

Agreed, and as a Seahawk fan I take great satisfaction in watching Stealer fans still getting their panties in a bunch when people criticize officiating. :D

I didn't get upset about the criticism of the officials in the SB. I take offense at some halfwit questioning how they got to the SB.

Oh, and by the way, I watched the replay of SB XL on the NFL Network. Couldn't believe how stupid the Seattle coaching staff was in the hurry-up mode. Even in the end instead of kicking a FG, they threw a 5 yard

out but failed to get out of bounds. End of story. :D

In the end your team made it back to the tourny, mine didn't so I guess you get the last laugh this year.

Good luck against Da Bears Hawks. For your sake, I hope Rex shows up as the Idiot QB again.

As I have said countless times, if the Hawks weren't playing my Steelers last year, I'd have been routing for them.

Do you people even watch football? From these dumbass posts I will say no.

Is there some conspiracy that makes a receiver put one foot out of bounds on a 12 yard 3 down hook route?

Is it evil vegas that makes maraive harrison drop a sure catch for 15 yards in the 4th quarter?

Sure, it's easy to see a games outcome and second guess what brand of gasoline they put in their beemer, but watch the game tards, it's not all that easy.

That being said, the The only 6 time Super Bowl Winners and YOUR DADDY did no deserve to win last year.

We haven't even made it to the Superbowl and already the excuses are beginning to mount. I've heard this bs all season. Let us have our day in the sun and for once try not to taint it with the hints of conspiricy. After all the years of being dubbed the perennial losers of the NFL we deserve at least that. This is a damn good football team we have, nothing more, nothing less.

I really do have a hard time believing conspiracy theories, NBA, NFL, MLB...any sport really. If they are rigged, it has to be the most elaborate complex secret ever contrived, and kept hidden by thousands of players over years and years.

You know what? I'm totally sick of this sh*t. You tell me exactly how the Steelers made it TO the Superbowl because of questionable calls. Yes, there were a few calls IN the Superbowl as everyone and their mother knows, bur BEFORE? The Steelers simply peeked at the right time and rattled off 8 straight wins. The refs tried to take the Indy game away from them but they persevered. So shut your freekin' cumgums about the "questionable" way the Steelers made it TO the SB. I'm sick of it already.

The Steelers Super Bowl win is legit, and so is their playoff run to make it to the Super Bowl. They played better and came out of the game with a win. :D

Sometimes I get carried away with the sarcasm, but given the thread topic I really couldn't help but stir up a little bit o' the fire that's still lingering from last years Super Bowl and playoffs. It's intriguing to think of how crappy the NFL would be if it really was some pre-determined format made out to look realistic. But it's not. While money could sometimes seem like it dictates games, I highly doubt this sort of stuff goes on. If real evidence ever slipped out that something like this is happening, think of the lawsuits... even more, the amount of money vegas would lose from so many people no longer betting on sports, let alone the NFL.

cumgums? That's a new one. :D

We haven't even made it to the Superbowl and already the excuses are beginning to mount. I've heard this bs all season. Let us have our day in the sun and for once try not to taint it with the hints of conspiricy. After all the years of being dubbed the perennial losers of the NFL we deserve at least that. This is a damn good football team we have, nothing more, nothing less.

You'll get nothing and like it! :D

IF there were fixes in the NFL it would/could only be via the refs. Now if they would only fix it for the Eagles just once!!

The officiating the entire 2005 season was horrendous, everyone seems the focus on the cherry on top-Pittsburgh SB win, but the entire season was beyond bad. That SB just was a microcasim of the macrocosim that was the 2005 season, in which the league basically admitted it was an "off" year for the zebra's-so they got new unis in order to hide from the public eye.