[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Netflix Price Increase

Egret

Netflix is raising prices starting September 1. The streaming only option will still be $7.99 per month. DVDs will now be a separate option starting at $7.99 per month for one at a time. I've had the two at a time plan for awhile now. It will be $11.99 plus $7.99 for the streaming. I put some screenshots of the pricing on my blog. There's some colorful comments on the official Netflix blog.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Netflix is raising prices starting September 1. The streaming only option will still be $7.99 per month. DVDs will now be a separate option starting at $7.99 per month for one at a time. I've had the two at a time plan for awhile now. It will be $11.99 plus $7.99 for the streaming. I put some screenshots of the pricing on my blog. There's some colorful comments on the official Netflix blog.

I have the 3 at a time option. I'll have to rethink this. It used to be $18 or so and was a good deal but if they're going to turn into robbers like Hulu and all the rest of them, they can shove it.

These guys are turning into slick, lying executives:

By offering our lowest prices ever, we hope to provide great value to our current and future DVDs by mail members.

Ummm, no, these are not your lowest prices ever. Jeebus, were you hired from the Gubment?

First thing I'm canceling is the streaming option. If they want to charge for that they need to seriously expand the selection. Had the urge a while back to re-watch the wire, not available, like most other things I have tried to find.

First thing I'm canceling is the streaming option. If they want to charge for that they need to seriously expand the selection. Had the urge a while back to re-watch the wire, not available, like most other things I have tried to find.

Exactly. The streaming option is good for the old price since it's not really THAT expansive. It definitely isn't worth $8 a month without putting up more. A lot more.

I have the streaming only option at $7.99 per month. My son likes to search for things you don't find everyday (Batman animated flicks I didn't know existed) or I find old movies that I think he'll like (I put the original Karate Kid on when that remake came out last year). Probably still not getting our money's worth but I'll keep it.

I just started with Netflix a few months ago. Looks like I may have a short membership now. I will definitely quit the streaming movies (I've watched some, but agree that the selection is way too limited). I will have to give some thought as to whether to stay on with the 1 DVD at a time deal.

Looks like they are going to have a maximum of two DVDs at a time unless you have the streaming option too. I was going to scrap the streaming and revert to three DVDs only but according to the My Account page, I can't.

How can they be serious about charging more when they advertise Bird Cage as a new streaming movie? Maybe I will be able to stream Lincoln Lawyer sometime in 2018. :wacko:

I only have the one at a time option right now. We don't turn them over very fast anyway. We still buy many movies when they come out anyway.

I'm very disappointed that only one Pixar movie for available to streaming. I probably won't stay with it if they don't improve their choices.

How can they be serious about charging more when they advertise Bird Cage as a new streaming movie? Maybe I will be able to stream Lincoln Lawyer sometime in 2018. :wacko:

I only have the one at a time option right now. We don't turn them over very fast anyway. We still buy many movies when they come out anyway.

I'm very disappointed that only one Pixar movie for available to streaming. I probably won't stay with it if they don't improve their choices.

The Lincoln Lawyer is available soon on Zediva.com. I'm guessing next week since it's out on DVD now. Zediva is a legal online streaming service. It costs around $2 to stream new releases. You can also buy ten movie credits for $10. I've been using it for just over a month.

Here's the legal battle with the MPAA. Surprisingly, Zediva has a pretty decent case. I'll continue to use it as long as it remains legal.

I've had Netflix since 2003 but I'll likely cancel it. I had scaled back to streaming-only for the kids, but we barely even use that anymore. The one time we found something on Netflix streaming that we actually wanted to watch, it started stuttering about 20 minutes into it (with an Ethernet connection). I prefer to just stream from Apple TV. We watch so few movies anyway that it barely makes a difference, cost-wise.

I've had Netflix since 2003 but I'll likely cancel it. I had scaled back to streaming-only for the kids, but we barely even use that anymore. The one time we found something on Netflix streaming that we actually wanted to watch, it started stuttering about 20 minutes into it (with an Ethernet connection). I prefer to just stream from Apple TV. We watch so few movies anyway that it barely makes a difference, cost-wise.

Do you do this through iTunes or do you have some fandangled program I have read about but never downloaded? I currently us my Apple TV as an iPod for my receiver. Its cool and all but I know there is more I can do with it.

I don't stream, so I guess I'll be saving $3 a month by eliminating that option. I'm cool with that.

I just did that as well. Although I had been streaming some stuff, but F them for trying to increase my monthly bill by 50%.

I'll be doing the same thing Opie is doing and get my DVDs from the library. I just looked at my history, and I haven't been using the DVDs as much as I used to. My son uses the streaming a lot for the Nickelodeon shows and Phineas and Ferb. I can't really drop that. Thankfully our local library system is very user friendly. I can enter the DVD I want online and pick it up at the front desk. I already do that with books, no reason that I can't do that with movies too.