[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Carson Palmer to the Raiders

Grits and Shins

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mort confirming on ESPN right now. The second pick is a conditional that could also be a 1st based on performance.

I will say this - give them credit for going hard after an opportunity. This team is ready to win now, has some weapons a quality QB can utilize, and a running game and defense that doesn't force the QB to be the man. They might overpay for him, but they aren't letting a chance slip through their fingers. It would be more of a shame if they did nothing.

Oh, and Mort just mentioned that if this didn't happen, the Raiders were next looking at Vince Young :wacko:

Fantastic value for Cincy. Mike Brown I'm....impressed. Use that first round pick on a scouting department!

Love the win-now attitude of the Raiders, but if they cannot win the division the wildcard will be extremely hard to get. Should be interesting to see how Carson looks!

I hate losing all the draft picks, but I love all the "past his prime" comments. Isn't Palmer 31? Hardly past the prime for a talented NFL QB.

I think many of you forget that the talent - and I use that term very, very loosely - surrounding Palmer during his last 3 years as a Bengal was just awful. Nothing but malcontents and nobodies.

I hate losing all the draft picks, but I love all the "past his prime" comments. Isn't Palmer 31? Hardly past the prime for a talented NFL QB.

I think many of you forget that the talent - and I use that term very, very loosely - surrounding Palmer during his last 3 years as a Bengal was just awful. Nothing but malcontents and nobodies.

Hasn't been the same since he was injured. He had some decent players. Bengals made the playoffs a couple years ago.

Next question: when does he start? Does he get one week to watch Boller suck it up against the Chiefs, learn the system, get acclimated, find out where he and his brother can buy matching Little Lord Fauntleroy suits & big swirly colored lollipops in the Bay Area, etc...?

Hasn't been the same since he was injured. He had some decent players. Bengals made the playoffs a couple years ago.

I don't disagree that his stock took a hit after the leg injury, but let's face it, their OL was terrible and for a non-mobile QB, he was getting killed. The Raiders OL is, in my biased opinion, the most improved in the NFL. And yes, Ochocinco & Owens & Housh were talented. WERE. They were also mostly awful people to have chirping in your ear every damned play.

But he still managed over 3,000 yards & 20 TDs each of the past 2 years, in a bad situation. The '09 playoff team was centered around Benson Benson Benson and the offensive scheme called for Palmer to manage games, not win them with his arm.

Next question: when does he start? Does he get one week to watch Boller suck it up against the Chiefs, learn the system, get acclimated, find out where he and his brother can buy matching Little Lord Fauntleroy suits & big swirly colored lollipops in the Bay Area, etc...?

Boller will be fine for 1 week, they're playing the Chiefs at home for crying out loud. And then they have their bye, so he gets 2 weeks. Palmer will start in week 9 is my guess.

A steep price to pay, but Palmer is a good fit for the Raiders. They already have a solid O-Line and strong running game to go along with dangerous, but young WRs. Palmer is a definite upgrade over Boller and very well could be an upgrade over Campbell. Probably not as prone to making the dumb mistake although not as mobile. Is his arm strength really that diminished? Seemed like he used to throw the deep ball pretty well during Ochocinco's prime. I know he had elbow surgery but at least in baseball, pitchers often come back just as strong or stronger after surgery.