[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Junior Seau Dead

KOKIDKOKID

Very, very sad. :(

This is going to make the law suits even that much more credible.

I think the pending class action lawsuit against the NFL (along with individual lawsuits like double D's) have a lot of merit. I understand the "play at your own risk argument", but if the players can establish that the NFL either knew and down played the issue of concussions and CTE or turned a blind eye to the problem, the potential verdicts against the NFL could be staggering.

People are posting on twitter that a suicide note, asking for his brain to be examined was found.

Another player did that last year. Shot himself in the chest so his brain would be intact. They might be confusing this instance with that one. I did read where Seau shot himself in the chest as well so maybe it's true.

Damn.....watching him mother on ESPN was tough....she was screaming "Please, take me, don't take my son" Hard to watch.......... :(

Seriously, I didn't see it so I don't know the context, but what exactly is the purpose of showing his mother's reaction on ESPN?

Seriously, I didn't see it so I don't know the context, but what exactly is the purpose of showing his mother's reaction on ESPN?

To wallow in it and milk it for all it's worth, of course. It IS ESPN after all (though the rest are just as bad).

The Seau's are apart of San Diego's tapestry. This was not odd at all. Junior was seen almost everyday by San Diegans as he ran on the beach or shopped in the supermarket. He lived among the fans and was well loved. The family was pretty much recieved the same way. I was not surprised she spoke out. We who live here and grew up with him feel part of the Seau family.

Agree.. Very sad.

But to your second comment - I sure hope not. These guys have a choice to not play the game.

This will be my only post as not to turn this into a pissing match, but an employer has the responsibility to let their employees know the risks they're taking, once they become aware of them. There is nothing you can say that justifies downplaying known concerns and not taking safety measures against brain damage, if that is in fact the case (though we don't know if it is, so let's reserve judgement there, and pay our respects to this man. It's so sad no matter what, but even moreso if it's because he gave all he had to the game he loved).

Edited by delusions of granduer

The Seau's are apart of San Diego's tapestry. This was not odd at all. Junior was seen almost everyday by San Diegans as he ran on the beach or shopped in the supermarket. He lived among the fans and was well loved. The family was pretty much recieved the same way. I was not surprised she spoke out. We who live here and grew up with him feel part of the Seau family.

So I'm taking it this was part of an interview? That would be a bit more understandable. I guess I've just seen too many times news crews trying to take advantage of a situation and catch a person's emotional reaction on camera during a time of great pain. I've had my own experience with that once before & it's a pretty sickening feeling.

So I'm taking it this was part of an interview? That would be a bit more understandable. I guess I've just seen too many times news crews trying to take advantage of a situation and catch a person's emotional reaction on camera during a time of great pain. I've had my own experience with that once before & it's a pretty sickening feeling.

No. I believe she wanted to thank San Diegans for loving her son and share that she had no idea he was suicidal. I honestly believe that she was the one who wanted to talk to the city, not the press. This is who they are. They wear their hearts on thier sleeve. Junior played that way and lived that way. This hit this city hard. He was an icon and was well loved.

WOW - very sad indeed.

Suicide always is.

One of the greatest LBs ever. Even in his twilight years I knew he had some football in him yet and was wishing so bad the Colts would've picked him up.

This will be my only post as not to turn this into a pissing match, but an employer has the responsibility to let their employees know the risks they're taking, once they become aware of them. There is nothing you can say that justifies downplaying known concerns and not taking safety measures against brain damage, if that is in fact the case (though we don't know if it is, so let's reserve judgement there, and pay our respects to this man. It's so sad no matter what, but even moreso if it's because he gave all he had to the game he loved).

Got it. Come and in and say your piece and then bail "because this isn't the thread for it". Good job.

Players could choose not to play. There is nothing you can say (to use your words) that changes that.

And that will be all from me. Just wanted the last word.

Got it. Come and in and say your piece and then bail "because this isn't the thread for it". Good job.

Players could choose not to play. There is nothing you can say (to use your words) that changes that.

And that will be all from me. Just wanted the last word.

I'll take the bait. I'm a current defense attorney and former Div. 1AA football player. I have suffered 4 documented concussions (along with numerous undocumented concussions) during my playing career. I think your argument that NFL players assume the risk associated with the game is flawed.

First, you can’t honestly say that football players pre-2010 knew that repeated concussions or repeated brain trauma would lead to permanent memory loss, depression, violent outburst, dementia and suicide. Did I know that football could lead to a broken neck? Yes. Did I know that repeated contact and periodic concussions that I suffered over 10 years of playing football might lead to dementia and suicide? No.

Second, assuming football players did not realize the true effects of concussions and CTE until 2010, how can you honestly tell them to stop pursuing their profession now? It’s like telling a radiologist 20 years into his education and career that “yeah, the radiation from the x-rays you read all day will kill you. Sorry, find a new line of work."

Third,if (big IF) the NFL and helmet makers knew (or should have known based on the obvious data) that NFL players were suffering brain damage and CTE as a result of concussions and repeated head trauma, and they did nothing about it by changing the rules/requiring doctor clearance/enforcing fines and penalties, you can rest assured that a jury will hold them liable.

• Like 2

I'll take the bait. I'm a current defense attorney and former Div. 1AA football player. I have suffered 4 documented concussions (along with numerous undocumented concussions) during my playing career. I think your argument that NFL players assume the risk associated with the game is flawed.

First, you can’t honestly say that football players pre-2010 knew that repeated concussions or repeated brain trauma would lead to permanent memory loss, depression, violent outburst, dementia and suicide. Did I know that football could lead to a broken neck? Yes. Did I know that repeated contact and periodic concussions that I suffered over 10 years of playing football might lead to dementia and suicide? No.

Second, assuming football players did not realize the true effects of concussions and CTE until 2010, how can you honestly tell them to stop pursuing their profession now? It’s like telling a radiologist 20 years into his education and career that “yeah, the radiation from the x-rays you read all day will kill you. Sorry, find a new line of work."

Third,if (big IF) the NFL and helmet makers knew (or should have known based on the obvious data) that NFL players were suffering brain damage and CTE as a result of concussions and repeated head trauma, and they did nothing about it by changing the rules/requiring doctor clearance/enforcing fines and penalties, you can rest assured that a jury will hold them liable.

Your being an attorney holds no sway with me. I believe what I believe.

That third IF is huge, and what anybody suing the NFL will have to prove. I don't like the whole "should have known", because the players, their personal doctors and team doctors should also have known this, and advised the players to quit after repeated concussions.