[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Regional foods of football cities

Kid Cid

Don't forget dessert! How about a lovely Northeast snowcone? Grab a cupfull of fresh snow an douse in natural maple syrup from the northeast NY maple region for a real adventure, go to the town of Marathon, NY (near Ithaca for you using a Cornell reference, south of Syracuse for those of you using SU)--have some Maple snow, eat at Mijo's, then off to the Three Bear Inn for a beverage.................ahhhhhhhhhhh

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stoperat:

Denver - Rocky Mountain Oysters

this more of an inside joke within the state. i'm not sure i would call this a delicacy.... we don't really serve these up at tailgate parties or when we're hosting. so people love em..... al the power to them.

This has is great, but we need to fill in the blanks. We need a bit more help from the throng. I live outside DC, but I don't know what passes for traditional food here, I'm a transplant. How 'bout some DC cookin? And there's no one here from Atlanta? C'mon guys, help a brother out!

i'll have to take some shots in the dark and go by assumptions......

Atlanta

cornbread, grits, fried chicken, etc ...... southern home cooking

Houston

texas=cattle....gotta be a lot of steaks served...and texas is also known for bbq.

DC

i've only been once.... found the seafood to be very good shrug

edit: from another post:

Denver

Steak and game. buffalo is mighty good.

Kid Cid:

This has is great, but we need to fill in the blanks. We need a bit more help from the throng. I live outside DC, but I don't know what passes for traditional food here, I'm a transplant. How 'bout some DC cookin? And there's no one here from Atlanta? C'mon guys, help a brother out!

I'm Wisconsin born, but grew up in Alexandria (just outside DC for those not familiar). I can't think of a regional food. Everyone here is from somewhere else.

Kid Cid:

How 'bout some DC cookin?

Back in the day, the Skins had the Hogs=Pigs=Pork=Bacon.

Kid Cid:

And there's no one here from Atlanta?

I've been to Atlanta a only a couple of times for sporting events, so I'm no expert, but a couple of foods stick out. Chick-fil-A Chicken is everywhere, plus is the sponser of the Peach Bowl. I love me a chick-fil-a chicken sandich'!

And while were on the topic Georgia is known for it's peaches - so we could have peach pie.

OK last one. What the hell do they eat in Indianapolis???? This could be one of the more immediate needs from this list.

I wrote my neice who lives in Indy and works for the NCAA. Here is her reply.

I have to admit that there is a very good reason why there is no entry next to Indy. We are the home of the chain restaurant. I can't think of anything this town is known for. I like the idea and the list though. Our assistant is Indiana native so I will ask her though she is out of the office sick today. All the rest of us are transplants and not to enamored of the the local food scene to tell the truth.

So I guess if the Colts win this week, you order out from Applebees?

I've lived in Indiana my whole life, and everyone is right. Indiana is the 'melting pot' of food. We have a little of EVERYTHING and nothing to call our own.

Aside from roasted ears of corn and turkey legs, I can't think of anything else I see around Indiana that I don't see much of anywhere else.

Kid Cid:

OK last one. What the hell do they eat in Indianapolis???? This could be one of the more immediate needs from this list.

They do have some well known steakhouses (like every major metro area). St. Elmos comes to mind. Also, after the Colts whooping of the Broncos in the opening round of the playoffs - two weeks ago, I can recall Peyton saying that he just wanted to go to a certain restaurant and eat....something...but I can't recall.

Kid Cid:

When I think of Indy, I think of the Motor Speedway. (You know you're a redneck when... loco )

Anyways, what type of grub do they serve at the Speedway? I'd think that if dem Hoosiers had regional grub, you'd find it there.

Corn pone perhaps?

lmao...who put Oakland with (see San Francisco)???...that's like comparing tartar sauce to cheerios. Those 2 cities may only be 10 miles apart but they might as well be on 2 separate planets. Oakland is best known for it's fabulous soul food cafes, mexican restaurants, and in several of it's more colorful neighborhoods, lead based paint chips (more commonly known as bullets)...

Something else (thanks to my wife reminding me)...

Pork Tenderloins. The type where the tenderloin is like 4 times larger than the bun. :D I used to have those when I was a kid and still get them at lunch sometimes. It's definatley Indiana food.

As far as what someone else asked (what they serve at the Speedway): Tenderloins, Turkey Legs, Roasted Corn Ears are big items. Along with the typical stuff (elephant ears and the like)