[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What's your take on this?

Piranha

Inmate guilty of killing pedophile priest

Victim was central figure in Boston's clergy abuse scandal

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

WORCESTER, Massachusetts (AP) -- The inmate who strangled child-molesting priest John Geoghan was convicted of murder Wednesday after failing to convince a jury he was delusional when he killed one of the central figures in the Boston Archdiocese sex scandal.

Joseph Druce, 40, faces an automatic sentence of life in prison without parole.

After hearing the verdict, he looked at the jury that rejected his insanity defense and said, "It's all right. Good job." As the jurors filed out of the courtroom, he said: "No hard feelings. Have a good night."

Druce sneaked into Geoghan's prison cell in August 2003, jammed the door shut with a book, then beat the 68-year-old Geoghan and strangled him with stretched-out socks before guards could step in.

Druce's attorney argued that he was insane at the time and believed God had chosen him to kill Geoghan and send a message to pedophiles around the world. Prosecutors, however, argued that Druce was a conniving killer who planned the murder for weeks so he could be a "big shot" in prison.

The jury of five women and seven men deliberated for about seven hours over two days.

Afterward, Druce's lawyer, John LaChance, acknowledged the long odds of succeeding with an insanity defense.

"With the killing of a person, and when the defendant admits he did it, I think juries are very reluctant to acquit on any basis," he said. "It appears obvious to me that there's a mental illness there."

Here's hoping this guy meets a similar fate:

http://wcbs880.com/siteSearch/local_story_020104630.html

But Brooklyn District Attorney Charles Hynes has said Rodriguez banished the girl to a rodent-infested room with a litter box filled with feces and urine, a wooden chair tied to a radiator and dirty mattresses. He later beat Nixzmary, stripped her naked and dragged her into the bathroom, where he dunked her head beneath cold water in the tub, dealing her a blow to the head so intense it caused a brain hemorrhage, prosecutors alleged.

I'm not one to wish harm on anyone, but certain people just don't deserve to live.

Here's hoping this guy meets a similar fate:

http://wcbs880.com/siteSearch/local_story_020104630.html

I'm not one to wish harm on anyone, but certain people just don't deserve to live.

1289235[/snapback]

This story is all over the NY papers everyday..The part that makes me sick with rage aside from the obviously horrific treatment this girl got is the fact that the mother was quoted as saying she feels bad for her husband and that the little girl gave them a very hard time.

This story is all over the NY papers everyday..The part that makes me sick with rage aside from the obviously horrific treatment this girl got is the fact that the mother was quoted as saying she feels bad for her husband and that the little girl gave them a very hard time.

1289245[/snapback]

that's just disgusting.

Druce's attorney argued that he was insane at the time and believed God had chosen him to kill Geoghan and send a message to pedophiles around the world. Prosecutors, however, argued that Druce was a conniving killer who planned the murder for weeks so he could be a "big shot" in prison.

1289124[/snapback]

Would someone have to be insane to think God talks to them? :D

I'm conflicted when I hear stories like this. Clearly the "priest" got what he deserved. I'd prefer to see that brand justice meted out by the legal system, not by vigilantes. But since the legal system failed to adequately address the gravity of the offense, I shed no tears for Geoghan.

While the murderer will still have to answer for his crime, I'd send him a carton of smokes if I had his address.

Edited by yo mama

Did the Priest deserve death? Possibly... heck probably! I still don't like to hear that someone was murdered. Life is precious and fleeting enough without us hurrying each other to it's end. God is both just and merciful. He doesn't need an inmate to help him mete it out.

This is the prison justice that should be dealt out to these douschbags .

1289183[/snapback]

Personally witnessed this sort of justice meted out a number of times. You have to understand that most convicts have kids out on the street who they feel powerless to protect from the likes of this Chomo. I will not say that I ever participated in harming somebody like this Priest, who actually deserves a fate far worse than death, because doing so would violate my right against self-incrimination. But I will say this, if I had been on the same yard as this Chomo and I knew about his crimes, a very serious "accident" would have befallen him.

Edited by spain

I watched a little of his testimony. The thing that really irks is that I believe the guards egged this guy on. He's as loosely wrapped as they come and I believe the inmates and guards helped him over the edge just a bit. I think he was a lifer already anyhow, but still.

He did say in his testimony that when he confronted Geoghan, Geoghan told him he was worth millions and that all those kids didn't matter. Which played right into Druce's own feelings about his childhood abuse.

The whole thing is a trainwreck.

Joseph Druce, 40, faces an automatic sentence of life in prison without parole.

After hearing the verdict, he looked at the jury that rejected his insanity defense and said, "It's all right. Good job." As the jurors filed out of the courtroom, he said: "No hard feelings. Have a good night."

1289124[/snapback]

Anyone stop to think that this is probably the 2nd life sentence Joseph Druce was tagged with? I would be willing to bet that someone with that kind of pre-meditated rage probably was abused himself as a child...which comes with a psychological life sentence nobody deserves. For killing the Priest, Druce was convicted of murder but he had no hard feelings for the jury. My guess is, that is because he sleeps a little better each night knowing he was able to exact some measure of payback/revenge not only for himself, but for the all the kids this creature, now dead, destroyed.

Or maybe not. But I am glad the Priest is dead.

Druce really is a pretty crazy guy. Oddly enough, killing the priest may have been an island of sanity for him. :D He has a pretty well documented history of physical and sexual abuse from childhood, I believe. He'd be in for life anyhow, it was just a question of whether it would be at the state hospital or maximum security.

Druce really is a pretty crazy guy. Oddly enough, killing the priest may have been an island of sanity for him. :D He has a pretty well documented history of physical and sexual abuse from childhood, I believe. He'd be in for life anyhow, it was just a question of whether it would be at the state hospital or maximum security.

1290645[/snapback]

I didn't even know this...it was just a sense of things. Maybe I should bold my response now, as it has even more validity. :D