[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Blackberry, droid or iphone?

bpwallace49

Word. I run a task killer that I click to shut down the non-essential stuff that tends to run in the background.

My GPS only kicks on when I need it... as a matter of fact, if it runs too long my phone starts to really heat up (G1, old hardware).

But I run two widgets from the Market that really save battery. WiFi OnOff, and Bluetooth OnOff... on the home screen I just tap them to enable and disable these battery eating antennas. Works like a champ.

Also, for Android users... my other recent favorite app is called SyncMyPics... it logs into Facebook and syncs your friend's profile pictures with your phone's contact list to add pics. Very cool.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, for Android users... my other recent favorite app is called SyncMyPics... it logs into Facebook and syncs your friend's profile pictures with your phone's contact list to add pics. Very cool.

Shouldn't your facebook app already do that? The iphone facebook app does so I figured they'd all be programmed the same .

My android phone did it automatically. :wacko:

Maybe it's included with 2.0. My old hardware only officially supports 1.6... I run a cyanogen mod which is still not quite 2.0.

Or, maybe it's included with Motoblur which is a Motorola specific bundle of apps.

Edited by AtomicCEO

Maybe it's included with 2.0. My old hardware only officially supports 1.6... I run a cyanogen mod which is still not quite 2.0.

Or, maybe it's included with Motoblur which is a Motorola specific bundle of apps.

I'm on the HTC Hero which is still 1.5. Sometime this month it's supposed to jump to 2.1. Idk how it works, I just like that it does. It also gives me the option to use the google picture from gmail chat.

• 8 months later...
I'm up for an upgrade with Verizon Wireless, I now HATE blackberry as the only thing "cool" is BBM but I can go without it.

IPhone (old version) or any of the droids?

Which you recommend? I have never used either.

If you are an iTunes user and are happy with that interface (or just don;t want to learn a new one), the iPhone is a nice choice. It's a more controlled environment, which also means it will tend to be more stable

If you are more interested in options and don't care about dealing with occasional wonkiness or learning a new system to interact with a mobile device, then you get more choice and bang for the buck with Droid.

I have an EVO on Sprint and haven't looked back. Verizon is coming out with their version of the EVO called the Thunderbolt. If you are beholden to stay with Verizon and their high prices, I'd personally go with the Thunderbolt. If you want the same phone and pay less, go with Sprint. I travel all over the midwest states and have never had a problem with connectivity, so the Verizon has the best network, blah, blah, blah, just isn't worth the extra $60/month I would've paid for the same plan on Verizon.

I have an EVO on Sprint and haven't looked back. Verizon is coming out with their version of the EVO called the Thunderbolt. If you are beholden to stay with Verizon and their high prices, I'd personally go with the Thunderbolt. If you want the same phone and pay less, go with Sprint. I travel all over the midwest states and have never had a problem with connectivity, so the Verizon has the best network, blah, blah, blah, just isn't worth the extra $60/month I would've paid for the same plan on Verizon.

:wacko:

I pay $89 for my Droid via Verizon

450 minutes which I barely use half

Unlimited texting (great way to keep your minutes down btw)

And unlimited Data

Not sure $89 is too expensive for everything I want.

Now if you are in the mid western states, Verizon might not be right for you as it is AT&T country. Same if you want AT&T and you live on the west coast. Carriers dominate certain regions of the US with better coverage than others. Overall though, Verizon has the best service ... bar none.

I've had an iPhone 3G for about 2 years now and it's great. My wife has one too and she's bugging me to upgrade to the iPhone 4. It's still too expensive. When they announce the 5, we'll get two refurbished 4's for $25 each.

Droids on Verizon have the NFL Network. I wish I had a Droid instead.

My company just issued me a BlackBerry Bold so I can access e-mail remotely. I hate it. The keys are too small, the interface is not user-friendly at all, and the screen is too small. I've been spoiled on the iPhone.

I should be getting my new Bold today. It will be my first smart phone & I'm hoping I didn't waste my time going with it over the iPhone because I could get it free. If it's going to be a while before you get yours I'll let you know how I like it as a first time user.

Does that make me the last one to get a smartphone?

People gotta be crazy spending $300-$400 on a phone. :wacko:

:tup:

I pay $89 for my Droid via Verizon

450 minutes which I barely use half

Unlimited texting (great way to keep your minutes down btw)

And unlimited Data

Not sure $89 is too expensive for everything I want.

Now if you are in the mid western states, Verizon might not be right for you as it is AT&T country. Same if you want AT&T and you live on the west coast. Carriers dominate certain regions of the US with better coverage than others. Overall though, Verizon has the best service ... bar none.

:lol:

EVO on Sprint with unlimited everything is $70. :wacko:

I got two EVO's on Sprint unlimited everything tax, title, tags, at $144/month. Verizon would have been $210 without taxes included. The pricing was significantly different and there was no reasonable benefit going with Verizon. And like I said, I travel all over the midwest and live in Arizona and yeah, ok, Verizon has the best service...I guess...I've never had trouble with connectivity. And...Sprint is faster. :rofl:

:tup:

EVO on Sprint with unlimited everything is $70. :wacko:

I got two EVO's on Sprint unlimited everything tax, title, tags, at $144/month. Verizon would have been $210 without taxes included. The pricing was significantly different and there was no reasonable benefit going with Verizon. And like I said, I travel all over the midwest and live in Arizona and yeah, ok, Verizon has the best service...I guess...I've never had trouble with connectivity. And...Sprint is faster. :lol:

Ok I can buy that. But they don't have the Droid.

Ok I can buy that. But they don't have the Droid.

Which, is a good thing. While you and I may not have had problems with our respective Droid X and EVO, which are almost the same thing anyway, just different packaging, I do have several friends that have had issues with intermittent reboots, etc. Go figure...

If you are an iTunes user and are happy with that interface (or just don;t want to learn a new one), the iPhone is a nice choice. It's a more controlled environment, which also means it will tend to be more stable

If you are more interested in options and don't care about dealing with occasional wonkiness or learning a new system to interact with a mobile device, then you get more choice and bang for the buck with Droid.

I've had an iPhone 3G for about 2 years now and it's great. My wife has one too and she's bugging me to upgrade to the iPhone 4. It's still too expensive. When they announce the 5, we'll get two refurbished 4's for $25 each.

Droids on Verizon have the NFL Network. I wish I had a Droid instead.

My company just issued me a BlackBerry Bold so I can access e-mail remotely. I hate it. The keys are too small, the interface is not user-friendly at all, and the screen is too small. I've been spoiled on the iPhone.

Good Info here!

I have a BlackBerry for work and an iPhone 4 for personal. Don't like the BlackBerry at all other than being able to manage my barrage of work emails with it.

Love my iPhone but I am mostly a MAC user.

I work on extracting data from cell phones and the Droids did look interesting before I got my iPhone 4. IMHO it goes to user preference as each has its pro's and con's. It mostly depends on what you want to do with it. I need to sync with my Calendar and my Music Library (I work listening to music almost all day long) and manage home pictures/movies with my MAC so the iPhone was a no brainer. Before that I was with Sprint for approx 10 years and I traveled a lot and all over the nation. The service was excellent. Have traveled little with ATT so can't really make a judgement on coverage but so far so good.

You can also check this website for more info:

http://www.phonescoop.com/

Good Luck!

Upgrading my current Droid on Verizon to either the Thunderbolt or the Bionic... dual core processor, 4G etc... beats I phone by a long shot.... IMHO.

Thunderbolt/bionic are on Verizon?

I want to keep Verizon because I get 25% discount through my job and I have had ZERO problems on service for the years I've had them.

After two years with two different models of BB I'm not impressed. It locks up at least once a day in addition to a rebooting program which undoubtedly stops a lot of problems.. I mean it is a cool phone but it is difficult to text on and the voice service is unreliable. I'll be glad when straight talk gets some real smartphones.

Absolutely LOVE my Droid X. Even got my folks on them now (who are not particularly tech-savvy) and they loved them immediately. My dad's exact words were "it's like a blackberry on steroids". It also has an 8mp/720p camera, which is huge for pictures and videos.

But I agree with the above, that alot has to do with what you want to do with it. If compatibility with mac stuff like iTunes is important, then go with iPhone, but especially if you're like me and already have everything integrated with Google anyway, it's a seamless transition. I was able to import all of my outlook contacts into Google before my phone even came.

It may be worth holding out for a 4G phone, but to me it already goes plenty fast enough, especially when you use wifi on it. No complaints at all about the performance or features of this phone. Literally every time I've said, I wish this phone could.... I end up finding an app that can.

BTW, after a long hunt for the perfect case, I found this soft/hard hybrid case that is ultra-thin (probably my one complaint about the phone before was it was a brick with a case on). They have alot more options for iPhone users too, for those interested.

Absolutely LOVE my Droid X.

How's the battery life on the Droid X? I'm nearing 2 years on my Droid Eris which I've enjoyed but I am looking forward to upgrading to more speed and hopefully better battery life in the not too distant future. I'll probably wait til the holiday season to see what's cutting edge this year but even then may get a year old phone like the X instead of paying top $$ for something I won't really use that much.

Absolutely LOVE my Droid X. Even got my folks on them now (who are not particularly tech-savvy) and they loved them immediately. My dad's exact words were "it's like a blackberry on steroids". It also has an 8mp/720p camera, which is huge for pictures and videos.

But I agree with the above, that alot has to do with what you want to do with it. If compatibility with mac stuff like iTunes is important, then go with iPhone, but especially if you're like me and already have everything integrated with Google anyway, it's a seamless transition. I was able to import all of my outlook contacts into Google before my phone even came.

It may be worth holding out for a 4G phone, but to me it already goes plenty fast enough, especially when you use wifi on it. No complaints at all about the performance or features of this phone. Literally every time I've said, I wish this phone could.... I

BTW, after a long hunt for the perfect case, I found this soft/hard hybrid case

Thanks for the link

I am an EVO owner as well and absolutely love it!! :tup: Got 5 phones on my plan mine,my wife's my 2 kids (old enough for a phone) and my grandma's and I pay 190.00 for those 5 lines for the everything plan. And that is everything unlimited text- Phone minutes- Web - GPS Etc. Etc. I love my EVO better than the IPhone I once had. I would never again deal with AT& T for anything!! It made the IPhone experience unbearable!! :wacko: