[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The "Official" American Idol Thread

Chief Dick

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the thing that stands out to me so far this year is that the guys' side is exponentially stronger than the girls' side. the odds of a girl winning it this year are close to zero, IMO.

Thought the exact thing. The upright bass guy and Paul McDonald seem to be the best "artists". The deep voice dude sounded awesome in his "11th hour performance". I have a feeling the ghey little Asian monkey boy will also bring it a bit too.

I honestly don't like a single one of the chicks. I have a feeling a few of them will flame out right off the bat.

While I agree that the guys are head and shoulders above the girls this year tonight the guys as a group weren't very good but there were some very good performances too. Only 5 get thru by vote and I think the 5 should be:

James Durbin (Thought he was fantastic without "trying" to be over the top)

Jacob Lusk (Dude has a BIG BIG BIG voice and a richness that is just incredible)

Paul McDonald (I really like how "different" he is and he nailed Maggie Mae(SP?))

Casey Abrams (Dude looks like a complete and utter goof but he is a 100% pure entertainer and he can sing his ass off too)

Scotty McCreery (not a fan of his but he nailed his song and with how the rest of the guys bombed I think he belongs in the top 5)

oh and as far as the girls go I think that Lauren Alaina is head and shoulders above all the other girls and I also think she has what it takes to win it all too but for now I will just go out on the she makes the top 3-5 limb because I do think the show is a guys to lose this year.

While I agree that the guys are head and shoulders above the girls this year tonight the guys as a group weren't very good but there were some very good performances too. Only 5 get thru by vote and I think the 5 should be:

Jacob Lusk (Dude has a BIG BIG BIG voice and a richness that is just incredible)

Paul McDonald (I really like how "different" he is and he nailed Maggie Mae(SP?))

Casey Abrams (Dude looks like a complete and utter goof but he is a 100% pure entertainer and he can sing his ass off too)

Scotty McCreery (not a fan of his but he nailed his song and with how the rest of the guys bombed I think he belongs in the top 5)

oh and as far as the girls go I think that Lauren Alaina is head and shoulders above all the other girls and I also think she has what it takes to win it all too but for now I will just go out on the she makes the top 3-5 limb because I do think the show is a guys to lose this year.

I agree with your 5 guys that should definitely make it through. I think the 6th should either be the first guy that sang with the goofy glasses, or the kid that was in the car accident. Those 5 that you listed were all amazing and very different from one another.

IMO the 6 guys that should make it are:

James Durbin

Clint Jun Gamboa

Paul McDonald

Stefano Langone

Jacob Lusk

Casey Abrams

One of those guys will probably go in favor of Scotty McCreery. And I like Scotty for what he does, but I think that he's very limited in his scope of what he can make work.

Nice talent pool this year. And I think a few of the ladies will surprise tonight.

my 6, roughly in order, would be:

jacob lusk

james durbin

casey abrams

paul mcdonald

scotty mcreary

robbie rosen

I don't know why the hell the judges thought june-bug sounded good. he didn't. I was thinking there's an arena-mix versus TV-mix issue going on there, but he sounded totally drowned by the instruments and out of tune. that geovanny guy is ok, and that guy that was in the accident was ok. I've kinda liked the gay little red-head kid in the past, but he was annoying as hell last night. I kinda suspect tim halperin will get through somehow on votes. as long as the top 4 I mentioned get through, I'm good with it.

as far as the girls....the only one that interests me at all from a singing standpoint is naima.

Jacob Lusk and Casey Abrams are the best of the guys IMO. Not a big fan of the rest.

I find Paul McDonald annoying. He may be the missing 4th Gibb brother from the Bee Gees.

Agreed that the TV mix was awful last night. I could barely hear a couple contestants over the instruments and backup singers.

Jordan Dorsey was such a Shark Vac with that Usher song. He has to be gone.

Looking forward to Pia Toscano tonight: smoking hot babe that one. Hopefully some of the women catch a bit of fire to make it more interesting.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

Between the level of talent and the chemistry of the judges, I've never enjoyed the show more. Can't say I've thought about Simon for a second. Also I've never heard any judges praise any singer as enthusiastically as they did Jacob Lusk last night. I think he and Casey are the ones to beat.

No one has mentioned Robbie Rosen -- great, great natural talent who could get overlooked in such a strong field. Guys like Stefano and Jordan will outlast him just because of the female vote, but on singing ability alone he's easily top 5.

my order ...

james durbin

casey abrams

scotty mcreary

tim halperin

paul mcdonald

durbin was on another plane vs. everyone else. casey is a trip and just fun, not sure if he can make it all the way through to win. scotty is indeed one dimensional, but he does that one dimension about as good as you can do it. tim and paul are filler that could possibly surprise.

jacob lusk has all kinds of vocal ability, but i find him annoying as hell. it's hard to even understand what he's saying because he doesn't even try to control himself to make the song legible. robbie rosen has sounded good in the past, but he butchered angel in my opinion. light my fire long hair guy has got to go ... along with rat monkey boy.

one thing is for sure about the male field ... the ghey is strong in this group.

i don't know what the judges heard live but I didn't get their love for the last girl...I thought it was sharp in spots and her voice wasn't near as strong as it needed to be for that song....

no particular order but the 5 I think should get thru are:

Thia Magia

Lauren Alaina

Lauren Turner

Kendra Chantelle

Naima Adedapo

as far as the girls....the only one that interests me at all from a singing standpoint is naima.

pretty much have to stand by that. but thia was really good tonight, and lauren (turner) and kendra weren't bad. haley was kind of ok, but everything with her is just really overdone to the point of being corny. the rest did squat for me. I really don't get what the judges (and everyone else) sees in lauren alaina. she's ok, but not great, yet somehow the judges are always blowing smoke up her butt no matter how she sings. and the chick that sang a verse in spanish, "wow, you really made that your own"....really?? by singing a loungey, unremarkable version with one verse in spanish? gimme a freaking break. :wacko:

If I were picking the top 12, this would be my list (in order of where I place them):

1. Casey Abrams

2. James Durbin

3. Paul McDonald

4. Jacob Lusk

5. Pia Toscano

6. Naima Adedapo

7. Scotty McCreery

8. Stefano Langone

9. Thia Megia

10. Karen Rodriguez

11. Ashton Jones

12. Lauren Alaina

I am really enjoying this years show but why is Randy the only voice of reason? Its like Steven and J-Lo think EVERYONE did amazing when clearly 1/2 of them stunk up the joint...

you guys have already nailed the top 10 or so, its very clear...

I agree, Tyler and Lopez need to be more critical when the performances warrant. Randy says something critical and the whole audience boos and J. Lo tries to shout him down. Hey, let's give them all 10th-place ribbons and be done with it so everyone can feel good.

nailed the 5 guys and I think that Stefano did a good job in the WC to get thru so I am ok with the 6 guys BUT I think that Robbie deserved a spot over the "DIVA" with the attitude and voice that isn't nearly as big as she thinks it is...also was very surprised they gave Stalone Jovany a shot to sing over Tim or the Where's Harry Potter Waldo kid

i don't know what the judges heard live but I didn't get their love for the last girl...I thought it was sharp in spots and her voice wasn't near as strong as it needed to be for that song....

no particular order but the 5 I think should get thru are:

Thia Magia

Lauren Alaina

Lauren Turner

Kendra Chantelle

Naima Adedapo

3 of my 5 made it but what shocks me more than anything is that 7 girls made it versus just 6 of the guys but when all is said and done I think that there are only 3 girls that have a real shot at it...Lauren Alaina, Thia Magia and Naima...but the fact that Naima didn't get enough votes to make the top 5 makes her battle an uphill one.

Solid Top 13 this year....the choice of which boys to take was realtively easy (as evidenced by the amount of people here who got 4/5 or 5/5 right in their predictions). Girls were a little trickier, but I think the right bunch made it through.

Still not getting all the love for the chick that thinks she's Carrie Underwood: She's got a decent voice, but will lose the male vote if she continues to wear skin-tight pants wrapped around that hugh caboose. She's a wannabe, looked very uncomfortable on stage when interviewed, and will be exposed as just "good" at some point...not great.

The Casey effect will get tiring by the final 8. Dude's an just an OK singer.

Hoping to get a better gander at Pia's assets as the competition rolls on...chick is hawt, and with that voice, she will be there in the final 5.

I wouldn't let that skinny tribeswoman give me any lovin....you see those teeth? The fact is, white America won't embrace her the way they did for Fantasia.

Durbin's voice is solid, and will get any and all votes from the R&R audience. Should be enough to carry him deep into the competition.

Oddly, McCreary is the wild-card. If he can pick some songs that are more mainstream (he sings a lot of old-time country...he needs some modern country in his repoitoire), he may win a lot of viewers. He should last to the top-6.

Stephano can really sing. If he continues to imporve each week, and gains a little more confidence, he could last for a while.

Lusk clearly has the biggest and smoothest voice. His coaches will work with him and make him into a rich man's Reuben Studdard. Dude has a real shot to win it all with some seasoning and mainstream song choices.

People will tire of McDonald's uniqueness....just won't be interesting anymore after another month of shows.

Thia is too cute, and with her voice and some formal training, could win the whole thing.

My early final 3: Thia, Durbin & Lusk

If I were picking the top 12, this would be my list (in order of where I place them):

1. Casey Abrams

2. James Durbin

3. Paul McDonald

4. Jacob Lusk

5. Pia Toscano

6. Naima Adedapo

7. Scotty McCreery

8. Stefano Langone

9. Thia Megia

10. Karen Rodriguez

11. Ashton Jones

12. Lauren Alaina

My top 12 all got in.......I'm still not sure how that curly haired blonde got voted in over Ashton & Naima