[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The "Official" American Idol Thread

Chief Dick

There is definitely some talented kids this year. I'm also surprised how much I'm enjoying it with the new judges. I think Simon will still be missed once they really get it started.

I kind of hear what you are saying. J LO and Tyler have yet to prove they can be as analytical and realistic as Simon. He was the one that would be the voice of hard reality. Maybe Randy can fill that role, but the other two probably can not. Seems like so far this panel is getting it right though for the most part. To be honest, three or four people that made last night's cut should be gone. Don't understand why deep voice cowboy is still here. He is one dimensional and has no shot. Even the young boy that was shunned from the group. Waste of a spot. Now the nasty chick that forgot her words, I get why they kept her. Drama. That is it. Can you imagine what that skank looks like first thing in the morning?

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of hear what you are saying. J LO and Tyler have yet to prove they can be as analytical and realistic as Simon. He was the one that would be the voice of hard reality. Maybe Randy can fill that role, but the other two probably can not. Seems like so far this panel is getting it right though for the most part. To be honest, three or four people that made last night's cut should be gone. Don't understand why deep voice cowboy is still here. He is one dimensional and has no shot. Even the young boy that was shunned from the group. Waste of a spot. Now the nasty chick that forgot her words, I get why they kept her. Drama. That is it. Can you imagine what that skank looks like first thing in the morning?

My wife and I refer to that drama-queen woman as "the faces of meth".

I thought she was weak compared to some of the other younger kids....and she was lucky to make it thru after forgetting the lyrics a week earlier.

$10 says she's not even in the final 12.

If we were able to bet that is a bet I would have taken...but since the TOS don't allow betting then you would just have to "MFN" if you know what I mean

As often as I have said I wouldn't be caught dead watching this show after seeing the inner workings of it first hand, the infusion of the new panel has brought me back. Its a fresh, entertaining look, one that was desperately needed and justified by yearly downward ratings. Would I work on the show again? :wacko: I think I would. Just to meet and stare at that booty.

I think the new judges have been outstanding. The meaness is largely gone and I do not miss it. Lopez and Tyler both seem to want to help the singers and have already proven themselves as tremendous talents that know what they are talking about. They are the sort of judges the show should have had all along but I guess had to prove itself to merit getting them. I imagine Tyler and Lopez won't do it for more than a year or two and I'll miss them way more than Simon who IMO was so obviously bored with what he was doing was not a plus for the last couple of seasons.

It will be interesting to see how the judges do once the shows are live. All the shows so far have been taped, so we see the "best" clips of what the judges have to offer. Simon may have been overly critical, but at least he was offering a critique, and when he liked someone, you knew that person had done a good job. If it turns into an Ellen/Paula "that was brilliant!" lovefest, I'll probably turn it off. The new judges are stars who still have images to protect. Unlike Simon, whose job it was to be an a-hole, I don't think Tyler and J-Lo want to be seen that way.

It will be interesting to see how the judges do once the shows are live. All the shows so far have been taped, so we see the "best" clips of what the judges have to offer. Simon may have been overly critical, but at least he was offering a critique, and when he liked someone, you knew that person had done a good job. If it turns into an Ellen/Paula "that was brilliant!" lovefest, I'll probably turn it off. The new judges are stars who still have images to protect. Unlike Simon, whose job it was to be an a-hole, I don't think Tyler and J-Lo want to be seen that way.

I believe J-Lo will fill that role of the defender ala Paula but at this point in his career, I really don't think Tyler gives a chit what people think of him and I think you will see rather matter of fact commentary from him, popular to the crowd or not.

There is a lot of talent. It's going to be hard to guess who goes I bet.

I wonder if American Idol has a forum...and if they do, if they have a "Smack Bowl" sort of contest and if they do, how the hell could they possibly beat "tube socks".

I'll tell you who SHOULD win it: Paul McDonald. But since it's mainly teenyboppers that vote, he'll have issues making it actually happen.

Dude is by far the most interesting artist in the top-24.

I was a little disappointed to see the kid what had the Aaron Neville type voice go. I like Paul McDonald.

Seriously...there seems to be a ton of talent in this pool. There are many I think could win it.

I was a little disappointed to see the kid what had the Aaron Neville type voice go. I like Paul McDonald.

Seriously...there seems to be a ton of talent in this pool. There are many I think could win it.

I agree, I'm enjoying this season more than I have in years and it's just getting started. I think my favorite is the kid with the beard who played the stand-up bass last week.

The cliffhanger drama is absurd though. Suck it up J. Lo, the sobbing is a bit much.

I actually like this year much more than maybe any other. More talent than ever and the show is more than Simon trying to think of yet some other way to insult people. The show has much more heart than ever before and judges who know what they are talking about. JLo is having a hard time crushing dreams but she seems genuinely bothered by it. Both her and Tyler run the risk of alienating people as judges which could impact their careers outside the show. All previous judges had no such problem other than Ellen who had no musical experience or knowledge and wasn't even that funny.

Mrs. DMD and I are enjoying this year even if our local girl Holly was cut last night.

I agree, I'm enjoying this season more than I have in years and it's just getting started. I think my favorite is the kid with the beard who played the stand-up bass last week.

The cliffhanger drama is absurd though. Suck it up J. Lo, the sobbing is a bit much.

I don't blame J Lo at all for that. That story was gut wrenching. plus she's a woman. I think they didn't need to show all of that though. they could've showed her upset for a few seconds and that would've been enough to get the point across.

As a big-time Beatles fan, I really enjoyed last night's show. Like everyone else is saying, I think the talent is phenomenal this year, and the new judges are working really well. I'm really enjoying it.

I don't blame J Lo at all for that. That story was gut wrenching. plus she's a woman. I think they didn't need to show all of that though. they could've showed her upset for a few seconds and that would've been enough to get the point across.

Meh. I think she definitely milked it for dramatic effect.

Another thing that was kind of silly was the "We're really, really sorry to have to tell you this....................but...........................you know we only have 24 slots...................and it just kills us to send some really talented people home..............................BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THAT BECAUSE YOU MADE THE TOP 24!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Excellent group of finalists though. Looking forward to the live shows.

I think the judges this year are great. and damn, J-Lo always looks so elegant and hawt. that aspect alone, what a huge upgrade from looking at kara the weasel and ellen the tomboy for a couple hours every week.

the thing that stands out to me so far this year is that the guys' side is exponentially stronger than the girls' side. the odds of a girl winning it this year are close to zero, IMO.