[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

first year in 23 years not playing FF

frenzal rhomb

I’m not ready to quit playing but I am dialing it back this year for the first time in a while. I usually watch football all day every Sunday with the Sunday ticket. I’m passing on the Sunday ticket for the first time in about 6-7 years. I want to spend my Sunday’s doing other things so that’s my reasoning.

16 hours ago, frenzal rhomb said:

Ive just burned out on it.  Wonder how I'm gonna feel this year watching games and not screaming at/for individuals.  Hung out with my league replacement last week and talked keeper strategy and really enjoyed it.  Still think I'm glad I'm out.  

I did this back in 2015. I was in a bunch of leagues, and it started feeling like an obligation instead of a hobby. Especially Tuesday nights getting waiver requests in. I took the year off and really enjoyed the freedom. It also worked out well, as I had just started a new job and would have never been able to keep up with my leagues if I hadn't stepped away. 

I got back into fantasy football in 2016, but only in my main local (who thankfully had an opening). I'm still only in that one league, and I don't plan to get into others. Enjoy the year off - I actually didn't even watch much football the year I took off. I actually think it takes fantasy football for me to have interest in the NFL these days which is sad. But the game is becoming hard and harder to watch with all of the replays and rules changes.

I almost did the same this year. But I decided to stay in my 2 longest running leagues (32 Homers and Weapons of DMD) in addition to the Huddle Best Ball format (Huddle Message Board) but this one is awesome where you can draft and forget it, no maintenance needed. Compared to 5-7 years ago where I was playing in about 12 leagues, I have been cutting leagues since that. No regrets with the exception of a Dynasty league I wished I would have stayed in, although Dynasty Leagues a very high maintenance and you have to keep up with College football as well if you want to stay competitive.

Enjoy the break!!! :brew:

I've been playing Fantasy Football for years but I only ever watch my Jags play. There were a few years I didn't even bother doing that every week, lol. This year I'll either be at the games or doing yard work, so no binge watching Football for me.

Edited by Inziladun

Gave up on my commissionership after running a league for over 20 years.  Not sure if the guy who offered to step up will actually get it off the ground, I honestly don't care if he doesn't.  How times change.  There's a second local, however, I plan to play in.  Draft tomorrow.  Haven't done squat for research.  Meh.

I feel you.  I just retired my keeper league that I have been the Commish for for close to twenty years.  I'm down to one league and almost dropped out of that one as well.  I stayed in that one because they revamped the league structure. Hopefully it will be fun this year or this will be my last. The NFL product just does not interest me much anymore.  It is just harder to watch now.

A few years ago I was in 8 leagues - figured I could hedge my bets and win in a few of them.  Worst fantasy season ever.  I didn't finish higher than 4th in any of them.  I was miserable all season long and couldn't really focus on one team as I had too many.  Last year I went down to 4 and still didn't enjoy it at all.  Came in 2nd in my main local, but still felt burnt out and realized that I enjoyed football so much more when I just watch it and like the OP said, not cheering for specific individuals. 

This year I was gonna throw in the towel, but I'm not sure I can ever quit my main local as I've been in it in what seems like forever.  I cut out all the rest - until earlier this week I had a buddy who was desperate for me to join his league so he could even it out at 10.  I REALLY didn't want to do it, so he paid half my fee for me - I'm certainly managing it on my own with no input from him and should I win anything I'll certainly split it with him behind the scenes.  No one else in our league knows that he paid for half my entry fee, but regardless I'm treating this as if I bought in full and this is my team exclusively.  This could honestly be the league that kills my drive for Fantast Football permanently if someone catches wind of this and then accuses us of shenanigans.  I'm 40, but the league is full of a bunch of 20 year olds.. 

On 8/22/2018 at 8:42 PM, awahl63 said:

I took one year off 6 years ago and regretted the break. I’ll admit that I’m a tad burned out on watching every game - TNF, all of Sunday, and MNF. I’ll watch less football on Sunday this year.

I'm more burned out on fantasy then watching games, and that is with the 1-31 Browns as my favorite team. I find it to be less fun, and more like work. I'm sure it would help if I won more often, or even if I was really bad and had a better shot to rebuild with a high draft pick. 

I went from 8 leagues to 1 last year. Regretted the decision by week 2. I filled the gap with DFS and had moderate success. I am back to 4 leagues and will still dabble in DFS. Just makes watching the games a bit more fun. I find if I do not look at my leagues on Sunday until after the 4 PM games, I enjoy it more.

Last year I stopped being glued to my TV and it helped with the burn out.  I set my line ups at 12:30 for the 1pm games, check again at 3:30 to make sure all my 4pm guys are playing and then again for the Sunday night game.  Found that not obsessing over my scores and the actual games make it more enjoyable and less like a chore.

2 hours ago, Montana is da Man said:

Last year I stopped being glued to my TV and it helped with the burn out.  I set my line ups at 12:30 for the 1pm games, check again at 3:30 to make sure all my 4pm guys are playing and then again for the Sunday night game.  Found that not obsessing over my scores and the actual games make it more enjoyable and less like a chore.

I've always tried to avoid looking at fantasy game scores all day Sunday, I usually check in the gap before SNF. To me if you're spending all day just cheering for/against fantasy players you really aren't watching or enjoying the game.

I went from glued to couch every Sunday paying for NFL Ticket with 2-3 FF leagues with one being big money & betting on football to 

No NFL ticket, no real commitment to watching any games & just being a $100 FF league just to keep the whistle wet if I get inspired for football.

Th not knowing which is a catch or not, the timely penalties when someone sneezes near a QB or hits to a receiver in the head when they duck & defenses aren't allowed to do anything drive me crazy & caused me to lose interest

On 8/22/2018 at 2:07 PM, frenzal rhomb said:

Ive just burned out on it.  Wonder how I'm gonna feel this year watching games and not screaming at/for individuals.  Hung out with my league replacement last week and talked keeper strategy and really enjoyed it.  Still think I'm glad I'm out.  

You''ll get into a daily at some point. The withdrawals will get to you at some point not having anything on the line. LOL