[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

That was the most awesome punt EVER

CaptainHook

what an embarrasment for the city of pittsburgh

I don't see it that way. We don't control the weather and this was a weather issue. The new sod was probably worse than them letting the old sod alone for this game but there was 7 games on that field in the last 11 days and new sod was needed. You may ask why there were 7 games and I will tell you that this is Pittsburgh and all our High School championship games get to play where the pro's play. Pretty cool if you ask me and it is something that each of those kids takes with him for life. I don't think that the embarrased city of Pittsburgh would have it any different.

I don't see it that way. We don't control the weather and this was a weather issue. The new sod was probably worse than them letting the old sod alone for this game but there was 7 games on that field in the last 11 days and new sod was needed. You may ask why there were 7 games and I will tell you that this is Pittsburgh and all our High School championship games get to play where the pro's play. Pretty cool if you ask me and it is something that each of those kids takes with him for life. I don't think that the embarrased city of Pittsburgh would have it any different.

+1 :D

it wasn't a weather issue so much as a bunch-of-games-on-a-brand-new-field-that-somehow-doesn't-have-any-drainage-under-the-turf issue. it was entirely preventable. it is a disgrace to put a product like that out for an NFL game to be played on, there is no excuse.

it wasn't a weather issue so much as a bunch-of-games-on-a-brand-new-field-that-somehow-doesn't-have-any-drainage-under-the-turf issue. it was entirely preventable. it is a disgrace to put a product like that out for an NFL game to be played on, there is no excuse.

I love the fact the Steeeelers let the HS kids use the field ... but stilll ... the idea of laying new sod over old sod because there wasn't time to take up the old sod and do it properly? That spells mis-managed timing, doesn't it? I would have taken a loss to Miami if it meant no significant injuries because of the turf -- the Steeeelers were very fortunate to escape with a win and without horrendous injuries ... Someone should look at the timing of the process for next year. Brilliant idea, poorly executed, from what I know (very little, actually, but so be it ...)

Certain teams request home or away games on specific weekends due to other events at that stadium or city on certain weekends. Since they knew that the HS playoffs and the Pitt Panthers were playing on that field that weekend, the Steelers would be wile to request a road game that weekend in order for the grounds crew to get enough time to get the field ready after the 5 games in that short span.

And grass if preferred over artifical turf if at all possible.

The field was undoubtedly a reason, if not the reason, for the close score. The game had playoff implications for the Steelers. A loss and the Steelers would have been tied with the Browns and dropped a game behind the Jaguars.

Seems like a big price to pay to let some kids play on the field.

What's the verdict on FieldTurf? I read that it's identical to real grass from a playing standpoint -- i.e., traction, bounce, cutting, etc., and players agree that it's a great surface and there is less chance of injury compared to the old school AstroTurf. Is that true or just marketing? It would seem that FieldTurf is a much better option when it rains and probably very close to real grass even in ideal conditions. The Pats switched to FieldTurf because their field was a mess. I'm thinking there must be a drawback to it because every team would have made the switch by now.