[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

darnit I hate my owners!

Grits and Shins

I have been commissioner of my local league (the one Sarge just joined) for more that several years. Each year the absolute hardest thing I have to do is settle on a draft date.

This year I sent out the initial inquiries about draft day on June 6th. The first response seemed to be that August 27th was the best date. On July 6th I sent out an email proposing that August 27th be our draft date. Eight owners specifically agreed on this date, three owners were silent (which I took to be assent) and we are currently short 1 owner. One of our out-of-towner owners planned a trip into town around this date.

I sent more than several follow up emails attempting to get the three owners to respond.

Finally called yesterday and left another message with the 3 silent owners (actually with the father ... the other are his sons).

I get a response today that all three owners will be out of town that weekend!

ARRRGHHHH!

Of course I have been planning other drafts I am in AROUND the August 27th date as well.

I'm pissed.

Sorry had to vent ... :D

I wish my local commish would at least have attempted some form of communication at this point in time. I pretty much have accepted the fact that our draft will be September 10th...the week before is Labor Day weekend and nobody ever can do it then, and previously, nobody has wanted to do it 2 weeks before the start of the season.

But, not one word from our commish...no early set up of the site, no polling to inquire about draft dates--it's weak.

Playing in some BOTH leagues has clearly made this a lot easier to handle for me.

We are holding a Sunday draft because everybody couldn't agree. We'll have 11 out of 12 at the draft this year. I don't think we've had all 12 together in quite a few years. There's always something going on.

It happens every year in every league.

I feel your pain Blitz. This will be our 11th season and we always have our draft the Sunday before the season starts. One owner who runs another league has been in this one for nine years. Last year he schedules his draft the Sunday before the season starts. We managed to change some times around to do both in one day. I made it clear at last year's draft that next year's (this year's) will be (as always) the Sunday before kickoff. I even posted it on the website the day after the season ended. He calls me up last week to ask when my is. :D:D:D

We are holding a Sunday draft because everybody couldn't agree.  We'll have 11 out of 12 at the draft this year.  I don't think we've had all 12 together in quite a few years.  There's always something going on.

906043[/snapback]

yup in one local we are having it on a sunday this year. guess ill have to take monday off

I feel your pain. Setting a draft date is harder than finding that "G" spot I keep hearig about. :D This is the first year I just picked a date and unbelievably it went through.

What I usually do is put out a calendar and state that I will do any weekend. Then I mark the ones I would rather NOT do...works every time...one of those two weeks. :D

Are you talking about the draft or G Spot :D

If the latter, PM me the secret :D

906187[/snapback]

:D

Yeah, right. If I knew that I would patend it and make millions!

Are you talking about the draft or G Spot :D

If the latter, PM me the secret :D

906187[/snapback]

It's right there, no, right there :D , no, to the right, now left, Oh F*ck it. :D

I pretty much have accepted the fact that our draft will be September 10th...

906037[/snapback]

Gil.......You do realize the season starts on Thursday night September 8th don't you??? :D :doah:

Oak vs Pats @ 9pm

Gil.......You do realize the season starts on Thursday night September 8th don't you???    :D  :doah:

Oak vs Pats @ 9pm

906394[/snapback]

Yes BD's....this will be the third year in a row (ever since they've opened with the Thursday night game) that one game will be in the books before we begin our draft.

No way to change it since only a few of us have a problem with it...I tried to change it for 05' before we drafted for 04' and it was shot down. :D

Yes BD's....this will be the third year in a row (ever since they've opened with the Thursday night game) that one game will be in the books before we begin our draft.

No way to change it since only a few of us have a problem with it...I tried to change it for 05' before we drafted for 04' and it was shot down.  :D

906416[/snapback]

Wow, that sucks!!! :D:D

If you happen to draft one of the players in that game, does your team get those points?? :D

Might make a difference on where a couple players are drafted if it'll give you an advantage for the first game........Wow.....See your frustration!!

I always set the date 2 weeks before the draft. No every really complains they all yield to my decision! We're in our 6th year and we've never had less than 10 and had all 12 once and hopefully this year too.

They always want to have it on Sat morning, cause we have it in greater Cleveland and we have 4 out of towners. 2 drive up from Columbus (2 hrs) and one from Pittsburgh (2 hrs). The 4th FLYS in from Baltimore! So set up a dinner on Friday night with those who will be around and breakfast for everyone right before the draft. It's a good time, and it brings back college memories when I crack open that beer at 9:30am.

Yes, we've stated that if the player is drafted in the first 11 rounds of the draft, he must be in the starting lineup for week 1. We've made this the case because we also do IDP and there may be a DB, DL or LB that goes off who wouldn't necessarily be picked as a starter.

I think it's crap, but most of the others don't care. I think it will be an even bigger problem when a player goes down for the year during that Thursday night game who would have been drafted as a top player.

Since I got dinged by taking Steve Smith early last year and he only played one game, that same injury factor should be in place for 100% of the games, not 99.8% of them.

I feel your pain.  Setting a draft date is harder than finding that "G" spot I keep hearig about. :D  This is the first year I just picked a date and unbelievably it went through.

906158[/snapback]

The G-Spot is a myth invented by women to extend foreplay........