[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Priest/LJ handcuff...

Ralph Furley

I do know that it is important to hancuff players that are injury prone. But can anyone else think of a handcuff situation that got more hype than Priest and LJ? I can't think of another situation where someone "had" to handcuff their player. Does anyone else think that a Priest owner might live to see another day if LJ isn't on his roster? I know it would be nice, but I think there may be other options that may be better for a team. I guess I'm just not understanding all the hype between these two. Then again I'm not a Priest owner either.

if you beleive in the necessity of the priest/lj handcuff, then you HAVE to drop Priest a few notched on your cheatsheet because you are in essence using a 1st and 5th rounder for a 1st round RB.

Haven't been in a situation to draft him, but i sure as heck would trade that spot away or pick the next guy in line

I handcuffed him with Curtis Martin in one of my leagues. I agree it's a bit overrated especially because I think there is a possibility that the situation could lead to a RBBC in KC before any major injury to Priest. I think that it's Holmes position and he will perform quite adequately - JMO.

I think Priest will do great too. I just can't think of another handcuff situation that this many people were conerned about. I'm too lazy to look up LJ's stats when Priest was out. I'm sure they were good, but didn't he have like 4 TDs against someone? I thought that Priest also got 3 or 4 TDs as well that game.

I guess I'm just not understanding all the hype between these two.  Then again I'm not a Priest owner either.

946403[/snapback]

I think some of hype and draft position of Holmes and Johnson is justified because of the numbers they(along with D. Blaylock) put up last year.

Many of these TDs did come in one game but the stats are staggering for the trio:

Total yards 2721

Total TDs 35 :D

I'm too lazy to look up LJ's stats when Priest was out.  I'm sure they were good, but didn't he have like 4 TDs against someone?  I thought that Priest also got 3 or 4 TDs as well that game.

946424[/snapback]

That was actually Blaylock that had the 4 TDs (against Atlanta), and you're right, Priest had 4 that same game too.

I do agree with what you're saying, I think the LJ thing is a bit out of control (often going in the 4th round) seeing how he is a backup/handcuff. IF Priest gets hurt again, he'll have a ton of value, but if not, then he is probably no more than a 3rd or 4th RB option at best. I just drafted Priest in a league, and I will certainly try to get LJ to protect my investment, but I've already targeted Round 6 or 7 as the spot where I'll look to take him. If he's gone before then it will suck, but I really can't justify picking him prior to that...not until I fill out my roster with the majority of my other starters.

Edited by Skrappy1

My position is this: It is WAY better to draft a 3rd running back that can serve as a backup to BOTH of your RB starters than to draft LJ who is only a backup to ONE of your starters.

In other words, don't leave better value on the table just to handcuff Priest. And this goes for other RB tandems.

I handcuffed him with Curtis Martin in one of my leagues.  I agree it's a bit overrated especially because I think there is a possibility that the situation could lead to a RBBC in KC before any major injury to Priest.  I think that it's Holmes position and he will perform quite adequately - JMO.

946420[/snapback]

Apparently, you don't know what "handcuff" means.

One cannot "handcuff" Priest Holmes with Curtis Martin inasmuch as the two play for different NFL teams.

I think the hype is at least partly deserved, because K.C is one of the best teams in league at opening holes for their RB, and talent-wise, LJ is one of the best backup RBs in the NFL. So, whenever LJ gets any opportunity to get onto the field, it is almost guaranteed he will put up big numbers. About how many other backup NFL RBs can you say that, other than maybe Faulk?

I'll let you know how it turns out since I kept Holmes in one league. Didn't get LJ, he went too early for my liking. I'd have taken him two rounds after he went for the handcuff. I can tell you this, the LJ ownermade a mistake if he drafted him where he did in hopes of a trade.

I do know that it is important to hancuff players that are injury prone.  But can anyone else think of a handcuff situation that got more hype than Priest and LJ?  I can't think of another situation where someone "had" to handcuff their player.  Does anyone else think that a Priest owner might live to see another day if LJ isn't on his roster?  I know it would be nice, but I think there may be other options that may be better for a team.  I guess I'm just not understanding all the hype between these two.  Then again I'm not a Priest owner either.

946403[/snapback]

Given that (1) Priest is 32 and is coming off of a major knee injury and (2) KC's offensive line has been absolutely dominating opposing defenses for the past three seasons, I'll argue that it's not over over-hyped.

That was actually Blaylock that had the 4 TDs (against Atlanta), and you're right, Priest had 4 that same game too. 

I do agree with what you're saying, I think the LJ thing is a bit out of control (often going in the 4th round) seeing how he is a backup/handcuff.  IF Priest gets hurt again, he'll have a ton of value, but if not, then he is probably no more than a 3rd or 4th RB option at best.  I just drafted Priest in a league, and I will certainly try to get LJ to protect my investment, but I've already targeted Round 6 or 7 as the spot where I'll look to take him.  If he's gone before then it will suck, but I really can't justify picking him prior to that...not until I fill out my roster with the majority of my other starters.

946470[/snapback]

See that's why I will never pick Holmes. You need to pickup LJ, but anything more then a 8 Rd pick is a waste of picks, and all the drafts I've seen, LJ is gone by 4-5th round. I've got better things to do with a 4th or 5th rounder then waste it on a backup.

I took Priest at # 7--then I snagged LJ later in the 5th. Every starter is a play away--so I didn't mind grabbing LJ later on. If I could have found someone I felt was better at 7, I'd have grabbed the pick. But it is tough to go against Priest when he's on a tear...

Edited by Ruffian

I do agree with what you're saying, I think the LJ thing is a bit out of control (often going in the 4th round) seeing how he is a backup/handcuff.  IF Priest gets hurt again, he'll have a ton of value, but if not, then he is probably no more than a 3rd or 4th RB option at best.  I just drafted Priest in a league, and I will certainly try to get LJ to protect my investment, but I've already targeted Round 6 or 7 as the spot where I'll look to take him.  If he's gone before then it will suck, but I really can't justify picking him prior to that...not until I fill out my roster with the majority of my other starters.

946470[/snapback]

Thats kind of how I feel about it. If I was a Priest owner, I would love to have LJ, but I don't think I could justify round 4 or even 5 as a place to take him.

My position is this:  It is WAY better to draft a 3rd running back that can serve as a backup to BOTH of your RB starters than to draft LJ who is only a backup to ONE of your starters.

In other words, don't leave better value on the table  just to handcuff Priest. And this goes for other RB tandems.

946522[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly. Good advice from a KC guy.

Given that (1) Priest is 32 and is coming off of a major knee injury and (2) KC's offensive line has been absolutely dominating opposing defenses for the past three seasons, I'll argue that it's not over over-hyped.

946625[/snapback]

Just out of curiosity, how early do you think LJ should be drafted in a redraft league? I think in keeper leagues, it would be a lot earlier.

946625[/snapback]

Right. The hype is because you have an injury prone RB and a backup who has shown he can step in a put up the same numbers if the starter gets injured. One can't say that about most duos, which is why handcuffing doesn't make sense. However, if one has Priest and LJ, there is near certainty that one back or the other will produce HUGH numbers.

I didn't get LJ in my money league...he went too early...

but when I overload at RB's...I don't do it for trade bait...I want to make sure I have 2 top performing backs on my roster...

I've had ricky watters go down and have alexander...I've had deuce go down...bennett...and I've always moved on without those injuries phasing my lineup..

946625[/snapback]

Good info here. If I had to pick 2 future HOFers on that O right now, my money is on the two big dogs in the O-line, not in the backfield. And I like Priest a lot...

Apparently, you don't know what "handcuff" means.

One cannot "handcuff" Priest Holmes with Curtis Martin inasmuch as the two play for different NFL teams.

946550[/snapback]

Apparently, you don't know jackshucks about anything.

I said I handcuffed CuMar against Priest. That means I have Martin as insurance for Homles in every week except bye week. I can f'n "handcuff" Martin as much as I want - even if they play for two different NFL teams.

If by chance, both of these old m'fers wind up hittin' the high road, then maybe I am left eating my own words, but something tells me that one of these two will put up some steady numbers.

Edited by justin

35 TDs.

Name any two other non-QBs you can draft in the first and fifth rounds that give you a shot at 35 TDs.

This is no ordinary handcuff. This is not getting, say, Jordan last year to hopefully get you a couple more TDs should Martin get hurt and get only 6-8.

I think one enhances the other's value considerably. Meaning, if I were a bookie setting odds for which team would win a fantasy league, I'd give better odds to a team with Priest and LJ than I would to a team with Portis and LJ, or Priest and Levaranues Coles or Priest and Fred Taylor. And should they for some reason end up splitting time, you could probably play both each week and still get better production than you would from almost any other RB duo.