[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chris Cooley

sarge5121976

Yeah, I think he's worth a look. If you're scraping the bottom of the TE barrel like I found myself in one league, then Chris Baker is another decent option. When you pass on a TE in the 7th for that 2nd tier WR or rookie RB, and it comes to the 10th, you get what you get and you don't throw a fit!!!

:D

He was top 15 in 04 in his rookie year. He will lead the team in rec. TD's. I would say around 500yards and 6-7TD's.He is THE redzone target in Was. Everyone else is a smurf...I like him better than guys like Stevens ,LJ Smith and other so called good fantasy TE's.

974309[/snapback]

I have to agree. who is your #1 TE, he could be a good bye week filler or an ok starter if you must start him

Glad to hear thoughts like this. I have Antonio Gates but of course must deal with the week one suspension. I was taking a look at Cooley and trying to decide between him and LJ Smith this week to fill for Gates. This thread could be the deciding factor. Thanks for the input everyone.

Lots of people are high on him - I don't see him doing much past 35-400-5, but depending on your needs, that low ceiling may be enough. Aside from Clint Didier's salad days, Gibbs historically uses his TEs as blocker or oh-you-forgot-about-me receiving threats.

Glad to hear thoughts like this.  I have Antonio Gates but of course must deal with the week one suspension.  I was taking a look at Cooley and trying to decide between him and LJ Smith this week to fill for Gates.  This thread could be the deciding factor.  Thanks for the input everyone.

974482[/snapback]

I have the same problem (Gates game suspension)in 2 leagues. In 1 league I already had Wiggins backing him up. in the other league I picked up stephen Alexander to fill in.

I think Cooley is a adequate replacement but I do not expect much out of him this week. I think they will be able to do other things on offense and Cooleys only looks to be in the red zone(if then).and the way the Redskin offense is I am not sure how many redzone shots there will be.

I like him as the TE to emerge yes.  Remember Witten came out of nowhere, and so did Gates actually.  He's coming a pretty solid rookie season...

974329[/snapback]

It seems like he is more Bubba Franks than Witten or Gates though. That is to say he may score some TDs but he won't get too many receptions or good yardage. Both Witten and Gates finished their rookie years strong and even though they both missed time they still had 4 games a piece with 40+ yards receiving. Cooley played a full 16 games last year and only ended up with 1 game over 40 yards and only 2 over 30 (his yards-per-reception was only 8.5).

It seems like he is more Bubba Franks than Witten or Gates though.  That is to say he may score some TDs but he won't get too many receptions or good yardage.  Both Witten and Gates finished their rookie years strong and even though they both missed time they still had 4 games a piece with 40+ yards receiving.  Cooley played a full 16 games last year and only ended up with 1 game over 40 yards and only 2 over 30 (his yards-per-reception was only 8.5).

974594[/snapback]

This is good stuff - same conclusion I came to; he might be a Franks-type guy, but will never be a true upper-level TE.

Glad to hear thoughts like this.  I have Antonio Gates but of course must deal with the week one suspension.  I was taking a look at Cooley and trying to decide between him and LJ Smith this week to fill for Gates.  This thread could be the deciding factor.  Thanks for the input everyone.

974482[/snapback]

I have Gates as well... and drafted Cooley to start for him in Week 1. I think he might be a nice sleeper TE this year.

Seriously, I do think he will do well in Washington. I hear he is the endzone target as well and think Ramsey will target him more than 35 catches. Ramsey is going to worry more about turnovers this year and don't think he will be dumping the ball to Portis as much as he would Cooley. IMO.

The Dark Knight

the preseason rankings had him #9, which was quite a ways ahead of Bubba.  9 is someone who should be a solid starter in a TE manditory league, seeing that 10-12 will have to be played every week.

975974[/snapback]

Not necessarily. I'm not so sure that there really are 9 or more TEs that are solid fantasy starters...after the top 6 or 7 you're probably going to be reaching and finding much inconsistency, at least in my opinion.

I think the TE posistion is such (like last year) that we will see guys leapfrog up the rankings again though. I can understand passing on say, Randy McMichael, and waiting to grab Cooley, or H. Miller, both of whom have a lot of sleeper value, and at worst will probably only slightly underperform compared to McMichael.

I know it's all ??? still, but if Heath gets worked in to that offense, we may see a Witten'esque year. 6'5" 260 with good hands and speed. Seems like a nice outlet for Rothel.

974482[/snapback]

I did the same for week 1 and bye weeks. Cooley is often available late.