[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jamal Lewis to split carries with C. Taylor

justin

My personal take on this is that Jamal will see about 20 carries on Sunday night in the opener. He should probably see slightly more (around 25) against TEN in week 2 and then he should be full speed by week 4 at DET (Ravens have a bye in week 3).

Article from Baltimore Sun:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/footbal...ports-headlines

Ravens game plan may be split backfield

J. Lewis, Taylor are both likely to play in opener against Colts

By Jamison Hensley

Sun Staff

Originally published September 9, 2005

There appear to be no secrets when it comes to the Ravens' offensive game plan against the Indianapolis Colts.

The Ravens want to establish ball control. They want to keep the vaunted Colts' pass rush off balance and keep the ball out of the hands of Indianapolis quarterback Peyton Manning.

The only uncertainty that remains is this: Who's going to be churning out the rushing yards for the Ravens in Sunday's season opener?

Ravens coach Brian Billick said starting running back Jamal Lewis and backup Chester Taylor will split time throughout the game, estimating their carries could be "fairly equitable."

Lewis, whose only preseason action was six carries in the finale, doesn't have the leg strength yet after recovering all offseason from ankle surgery.

"I don't think it's realistic to think that he should carry the ball 35 times right now," running backs coach Matt Simon said. "The great thing is we have a very capable football player in Chester Taylor. Why put that kind of burden on Jamal Lewis at this stage of the game when we have a good quality football player in our locker room that we have a high value for."

According to Billick, Lewis will receive more carries next week and should be ready to handle the entire workload after the Week 3 bye.

But Lewis indicated there was no such restriction to the number of carries, saying, "I don't think there is a limit." In fact, if the game remains close, he expects to see the ball frequently.

"One thing we do have and one thing we've always had is the running game, and I think that's what we always fall back on whenever it's tight."

Lewis then added that his ankle still aches but said, "It don't stop me from running. That's the crazy thing, it doesn't hurt when I run. It just hurts when I stop. Hopefully I can just keep it moving and it'll be all right. I'm not really concerned about it."

The concern is that Lewis will wear out late in the game if he isn't paced properly.

"When a runner is in game rhythm and shape, not only does he have his timing, but he has a gear that kicks in during the course of the game," Simon said. "While the other team is getting tired, he's still feeling strong. Jamal is not there yet. That's just being honest. We'll work to get to that level."

In the Colts' estimation, they're not catching much of a break by getting less of Lewis and more of Taylor. This preseason, Taylor rushed for 270 yards on 39 carries.

"Of all the tape that we've watched opponents - I have probably watched 50 games of preseason tape preparing for our different opponents - I thought Chester Taylor was the best back that I have seen in the preseason," Colts coach Tony Dungy said. "We obviously know Jamal, and he had a great day against us last year. That's going to be the task.

"Those guys create so much yardage after contact. That's how we have challenged our defense - we've got to limit the yards after contact. If we do that, we think we've got a great chance to win, but it's not easy."

Last season against the Colts, the Ravens gained 160 yards on the ground, with Lewis rushing for 130 yards.

Not much has changed in Indianapolis' front seven despite the defense ranking 24th against the run last season. Gary Brackett has replaced Rob Morris at middle linebacker, but the defensive line is still undersized (no one weighs 300 pounds) and outmanned.

At defensive tackle, starter Montae Reagor is doubtful with a groin injury and recently signed Corey Simon will be limited. Besides the other starter (Larry Tripplett), the rest of the tackles are rookies.

That's why pounding the ball up the middle and controlling the clock are pivotal to the Ravens.

"The games they have lost are the ones [opposing teams] are able to crank out drives," Billick said. "[The Colts] make it very difficult to make big plays. [but] you can't have just 10- and 12-play drives; you've got to have 10- to 12-play drives that score touchdowns."

Billick's saying "fairly equitible" distribution of carries has me thinking more along the lines of 15 carries for Lewis. I don't see them running the ball 40 plays. If "fairly equitible" means "equally split"

Billick's saying "fairly equitible" distribution of carries has me thinking more along the lines of 15 carries for Lewis. I don't see them running the ball 40 plays. If "fairly equitible" means "equally split"

977893[/snapback]

I wonder if this is gamesmanship on Billick's part? I've heard a few radio interviews with Vegas line guys this am and the consensus seems to be that Lewis is going to have a monster day Sunday. They could be wrong, but usually they tend to know their stuff since there's so much money riding on it. Any Homer insight? :D

OR C Taylor can prove himself and maybe itll end up being a RBBC.

I know pre-season doesnt count but he looked punishing and ran hard. This puts Jamal in sort of a "fight" for his spot.

977941[/snapback]

No, it doesn't. Listen, the guy had 6 carries in the preseason. Chester may get more action in this game because Jamal's legs are not in game shape. Do not read more into this.

No, it doesn't. Listen, the guy had 6 carries in the preseason.  Chester may get more action in this game because Jamal's legs are not in game shape.  Do not read more into this.

977952[/snapback]

Just speculating.... we will see the impact on Jamal when he returns.

But I know C Taylor is hungry and somewhat talented....scarey combo.

Not as extreme as P Holmes and and Larry Johnson but same concept. Give a LJ a chance to run and its going to be hard to bench him.

Edited by MrTed46

I think Jamal gets ~20 carries and has a HUGH game.  Chester will get ~10 carries and will spell Jamal occasionally.  I say to still start Jamal...

978055[/snapback]

i agree-- we will be watching and banging our heads through the game-- just like last night with dillon-- he had nothing the first half... hit at the line evertime-- but ended up with a quiet 2 td 100 yard total...\

i bet we see the same from lewis...

very similar to the pats game plan...

faulk had a great game last night--- i think taylor will mimick kevin faulks performance and lewis will mimick dillon....

What did Chester Taylor do last year when given the opportunity?

977993[/snapback]

He faced a few tough Ds, and other than the game against Dallas I would say he did very well:

Week 7 vs. BUF - 21 carries for 89 yards (4.2 ypc) + 2 receptions for 11 yards

Week 8 @ PHI - 18 carries for 78 yards (4.3 ypc) + 4 receptions for 18 yards

Week 11 vs. DAL - 15 carries for 33 yards (2.2 ypc) w/ 1 TD + 4 receptions for 18 yards

Week 12 @ NE - 16 carries for 61 yards (3.8 ypc) + 5 receptions for 24 yards

Week 13 vs. CIN - 23 carries for 139 yards (6.0 ypc) w/ 1 TD + 3 receptions for 25 yards

Week 14 vs. NYG - 25 carries for 104 yards (4.2 ypc) + 4 receptions for 27 yards

That means in the 6 games where he was the primary ball carrier he totalled 504 yards rushing on 118 carries (4.27 ypc) w/ 2 TDs and added 22 receptions for 123 yards. That's 627 yards of total offense in 6 games. What's wrong with that?

Edited by Skrappy1

would anyone consider starting both Lewis and Taylor if you can plug in Taylor as your flex position instead of a 3rd WR???

979796[/snapback]

Depends on what your other options are, because if you start both you would be basically using 2 slots to earn the points of 1 stud back. Say they split right down the middle, that would mean 60 yards & a TD for Taylor, just using the Huddle projections as a baseline. But that's probably the highest possible that he would earn for you, since Jamal should be given the opportunity to get rolling as the starter. You may have another back or WR who could exceed that, in which case Taylor may need to sit. :D