[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do you hope for injuries if they help your squad?

Cunning Runt

Do you hope a player gets injured if it benefits your fantasy team (ex: you hope Stephen Davis goes down if you have DeShaun Foster)  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Do you hope a player gets injured if it benefits your fantasy team (ex: you hope Stephen Davis goes down if you have DeShaun Foster)

• Yes - If it helps my squad, sure I do
    • No - it's in poor form to wish for injuries because of karma
    • No - it's in poor form to wish for injuries because it's classless

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep

Yep and ummm

Yep.

Been rooting for Tice to sustain an injury all season. Bah-Dum-Bum  :D

Please, no one who puts up morality polls online can expect honest answers.

Additionally, who gave you the authority to pass judgement on others and proclaim them "bad"? Seems someone has a complex.

1025619[/snapback]

I don't want to get into a whole thing here, but what would you call someone who wishes serious injury on another person, athlete or otherwise? Would you call them a saint? a really good person? a role model? Come on man, I'm not passing judgement I'm saying that if you root for injuries you're not a good person. Plain and simple. No one gave me the authority, that's the beauty of free speech.

Do you root for other members of your fantasy league to get hurt?

If another owner gets in a car accident or something, it could keep them from getting their line-up changes in on time and therefore help your fantasy team. Do you root for that?

Or, how about a good old fashioned serious illness to preoccupy your rival owner and prevent him from making good waiver wire decisions? Do you root for that, too? After all, it could help your fantasy football team.

Do you root for other members of your fantasy league to get hurt?

If another owner gets in a car accident or something, it could keep them from getting their line-up changes in on time and therefore help your fantasy team.  Do you root for that?

Or, how about a good old fashioned serious illness to preoccupy your rival owner and prevent him from making good waiver wire decisions?  Do you root for that, too?  After all, it could help your fantasy football team.

1025662[/snapback]

Right at the draft I went Gilhooly style on the guy that had the pick right before me..Bumped me up a notch and I got Edge.

Edited by whomper

Look, none of us are sitting on the couch watching our opponent's RB tearing up a defense and yelling, "go for the knees!" However, if you're sitting on the couch watching your opponent's RB tearing up a defense and then they're slow getting up after a play and have to sit out a quarter or the rest of the game, you can't honestly tell me that one of the first words that crosses your mind isn't, "sweet."

Fantasy football is a competition. As with every competition, there are different levels of seriousness. There can be some pretty major money on the line. There can be some pretty serious rivalries going on. Or it can be something that you do to pass the time between church and work on monday morning. I don't care which level you're a member of, but you need to understand that the other levels exist. If you're in it for sh*ts and giggles, then fine, maybe someone getting injured is horrible and its effect on your team's performance isn't much to you. But to some people this is serious business, and you need to realize that to the actual people who make up our teams, football is serious f*cking business. They get serious paychecks and put in serious effort. Incorporated in that paycheck is compensation for the risk they take by stepping out onto a field and trying to avoid getting hit by eleven 300 pound men.

Injuries are a part of this game because it is by nature a physical game. Sportscasters always say it's a "physical game". What they mean to say is it's a violent game. Bottom line. And like it or not, by playing fantasy football you're essentially gambling on the health of players. You wouldn't go to a boxing match, bet $3k on Holyfield (i know the names are outdated, i haven't watched a fight since i was 13) and then say "Oh man, i hope Tyson does't get hurt." f*ck Tyson. He's standing between you and three thousand dollars. And if Tyson ends up with brain damage when he's 50, well, that's a tough break, but he accepted that risk when he accepted a paycheck to step into a ring with a large, muscular man who's only intention was to kick the shucks out of him. But hey, check it out, I'm three thousand dollars closer to paying off my student loans. And don't tell me that football can't be compared with the brutality of boxing. Just because we give them a ball, more padding, and a bigger rule book doesn't mean that it's less barbaric. A war fought standing in a line, wearing bright red jackets while some guy plays a flute isn't any less f*cked up than one where I sneak up behind you and cut your scalp off.

So please don't lecture me from your moral high ground because you're just as responsible for Harrison getting injured as I am. We are all spectators of the game. We're not involved in injuries happening, but as fantasy football players we deal in human traffic. We gamble on a player's likelyhood of blowing out their knee or tearing a rotator cuff, and if you think that's f*cked up, then find another hobby.

That being said, if you're in the stands when an injury happens, yes, you better cheer that guy off the field. Philly fans booing Irvin off the field, now that was classless. If you have anything but good wishes for an injured player, you need to take a step back and seriously re-evaluate what you think is important in life because I don't think you've figured it out yet.

Edited by LosGatosEnFuegos

Look, none of us are sitting on the couch watching our opponent's RB tearing up a defense and yelling, "go for the knees!"  However, if you're sitting on the couch watching your opponent's RB tearing up a defense and then they're slow getting up after a play and have to sit out a quarter or the rest of the game, you can't honestly tell me that one of the first words that crosses your mind isn't, "sweet." 

Fantasy football is a competition.  As with every competition, there are different levels of seriousness.  There can be some pretty major money on the line.  There can be some pretty serious rivalries going on.  Or it can be something that you do to pass the time between church and work on monday morning.  I don't care which level you're a member of, but you need to understand that the other levels exist.  If you're in it for sh*ts and giggles, then fine, maybe someone getting injured is horrible and its effect on your team's performance isn't much to you.  But to some people this is serious business, and you need to realize that to the actual people who make up our teams, football is serious f*cking business.  They get serious paychecks and put in serious effort.  Incorporated in that paycheck is compensation for the risk they take by stepping out onto a field and trying to avoid getting hit by eleven 300 pound men. 

Injuries are a part of this game because it is by nature a physical game.  Sportscasters always say it's a "physical game".  What they mean to say is it's a violent game.  Bottom line.  And like it or not, by playing fantasy football you're essentially gambling on the health of players.  You wouldn't go to a boxing match, bet $3k on Holyfield (i know the names are outdated, i haven't watched a fight since i was 13) and then say "Oh man, i hope Tyson does't get hurt."  f*ck Tyson.  He's standing between you and three thousand dollars.  And if Tyson ends up with brain damage when he's 50, well, that's a tough break, but he accepted that risk when he accepted a paycheck to step into a ring with a large, muscular man who's only intention was to kick the shucks out of him.  But hey, check it out, I'm three thousand dollars closer to paying off my student loans.  And don't tell me that football can't be compared with the brutality of boxing.  Just because we give them a ball, more padding, and a bigger rule book doesn't mean that it's less barbaric.  A war fought standing in a line, wearing bright red jackets while some guy plays a flute isn't any less f*cked up than one where I sneak up behind you and cut your scalp off.

So please don't lecture me from your moral high ground because you're just as responsible for Harrison getting injured as I am.  We are all spectators of the game.  We're not involved in injuries happening, but as fantasy football players we deal in human traffic.  We gamble on a player's likelyhood of blowing out their knee or tearing a rotator cuff, and if you think that's f*cked up, then find another hobby.

That being said, if you're in the stands when an injury happens, yes, you better cheer that guy off the field.  Philly fans booing Irvin off the field, now that was classless.  If you have anything but good wishes for an injured player, you need to take a step back and seriously re-evaluate what you think is important in life because I don't think you've figured it out yet.

1026243[/snapback]

Can someone condense this down to the Cliff Notes version for me - thanks.

Look, none of us are sitting on the couch watching our opponent's RB tearing up a defense and yelling, "go for the knees!"  However, if you're sitting on the couch watching your opponent's RB tearing up a defense and then they're slow getting up after a play and have to sit out a quarter or the rest of the game, you can't honestly tell me that one of the first words that crosses your mind isn't, "sweet." 

Fantasy football is a competition.  As with every competition, there are different levels of seriousness.  There can be some pretty major money on the line.  There can be some pretty serious rivalries going on.  Or it can be something that you do to pass the time between church and work on monday morning.  I don't care which level you're a member of, but you need to understand that the other levels exist.  If you're in it for sh*ts and giggles, then fine, maybe someone getting injured is horrible and its effect on your team's performance isn't much to you.  But to some people this is serious business, and you need to realize that to the actual people who make up our teams, football is serious f*cking business.  They get serious paychecks and put in serious effort.  Incorporated in that paycheck is compensation for the risk they take by stepping out onto a field and trying to avoid getting hit by eleven 300 pound men. 

Injuries are a part of this game because it is by nature a physical game.  Sportscasters always say it's a "physical game".  What they mean to say is it's a violent game.  Bottom line.  And like it or not, by playing fantasy football you're essentially gambling on the health of players.  You wouldn't go to a boxing match, bet $3k on Holyfield (i know the names are outdated, i haven't watched a fight since i was 13) and then say "Oh man, i hope Tyson does't get hurt."  f*ck Tyson.  He's standing between you and three thousand dollars.  And if Tyson ends up with brain damage when he's 50, well, that's a tough break, but he accepted that risk when he accepted a paycheck to step into a ring with a large, muscular man who's only intention was to kick the shucks out of him.  But hey, check it out, I'm three thousand dollars closer to paying off my student loans.  And don't tell me that football can't be compared with the brutality of boxing.  Just because we give them a ball, more padding, and a bigger rule book doesn't mean that it's less barbaric.  A war fought standing in a line, wearing bright red jackets while some guy plays a flute isn't any less f*cked up than one where I sneak up behind you and cut your scalp off.

So please don't lecture me from your moral high ground because you're just as responsible for Harrison getting injured as I am.  We are all spectators of the game.  We're not involved in injuries happening, but as fantasy football players we deal in human traffic.  We gamble on a player's likelyhood of blowing out their knee or tearing a rotator cuff, and if you think that's f*cked up, then find another hobby.

That being said, if you're in the stands when an injury happens, yes, you better cheer that guy off the field.  Philly fans booing Irvin off the field, now that was classless.  If you have anything but good wishes for an injured player, you need to take a step back and seriously re-evaluate what you think is important in life because I don't think you've figured it out yet.

1026243[/snapback]

:D Hear, Hear !! Could not have said it better myself.

:D  Hear, Hear !! Could not have said it better myself.

1026289[/snapback]

Agreed, although I suspect my right brain feels differently. Seems it depends on the day of the week, and which personality is present.

Nobody wants to see anyone get seriously injured, however a little unbearable crotch rot or uncontrolable puke all over the ball seems just what the doctor ordered against my opponent.

It's a violent game, and at 10 zillion dollars a piece, I have very little sympathy for Ricky's pain. Now if he cared to share some of that bud I might feel differently! :D

It's a good question Runt, and I waited awhile to answer. In the end I answered yes, assuming it did not affect my team or my fantasy squad.

FWIW.

And by the way, the injury could be anything - a sprain, broken ear lobe, whatever - I certainly don't wish death on anyone, but I absolutely 100% want things to occur to benefit my fantasy team, and oftentimes an injury to another player is one of those things. As I said initially, Thomas Jones and Stephen Davis are two of the primary guys I'd like to see go down as I have Benson and Foster respectively. Nothing personal mind you. They're just chess pieces to me. I'd rather have them win the job outright, but even then RBBC is a possibility so an injury is better. Why is that so hard to understand and why does that make it classless. It's a game and the players are, like I said, chess pieces to me. I have zero, zilch, nada personal feeling toward any one player. For that matter I drafted Michael Turner in the off chance that LaDainian goes down, so dare I say that I hope that happens too.

Edited by Cunning Runt

If you don't get the differences, then you haven't got a clue.

1026736[/snapback]

I guess the tounge-in-cheek hughmor evades you. Like I said, I don't wish harm on anyone, but the point of my joke was to get you to see it from a players standpoint. Otherwise, how would you feel if someone wished harm on you for something as trivial as a fantasy football game?

It's a game and the players are, like I said, chess pieces to me. I have zero, zilch, nada personal feeling toward any one player.
Pretty heartless comment there, I could say the same thing about you. Edited by rajncajn

I guess the tounge-in-cheek hughmor evades you. Like I said, I don't wish harm on anyone, but the point of my joke was to get you to see it from a players standpoint. Otherwise, how would you feel if someone wished harm on you for something as trivial as a fantasy football game?

Pretty heartless comment there, I could say the same thing about you.

1026921[/snapback]

Rajn, I generally like and respect what you have to say and on this I'll agree to disagree and you can think I'm a cold-hearted mo-fo. When it comes to this stuff, I freely admit it.

Here's my take and I'm guessing based on the poll results, a lot of people feel the same way:

I view fantasy football as a game that I'm trying win and the players are the game pieces. And I want to win even more because it's against friends, who I definitely want to beat, and if that's not enough - it's for money. I've got about $300 out there with a chance to win close to a couple grand in the various leagues I'm in.

I do not view fantasy football as just an add-on to my favorite sport or team. It's now the primary reason (amongst many others), why I love Sundays during the NFL season. And taking it a step further, if I had to choose between the Colts, my favorite team, or my fantasy team doing well, it would hands-down be my fantasy team that I would want to excel.

So if it's heartless to want Stephen Davis to get a high ankle sprain or whatever so my guy (DeShaun Foster) gets the undisputed #1 RB job, then that's just the way it goes. If I had Davis, it'd be Foster I'd want to see go down. It is absolutely nothing personal. It's a game that I'm trying to win - pure and simple. It's not like I can cause an injury to happen. It's going to happen or not all on its own.

And I saw earlier someone make a comment about - try saying that to an NFL player. You know what - I think that as competitive as these guys are, they'd know exactly where I'm coming from.