[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Playoff Schedule Dilemma

shocktrooper

I run a 12-team, 3-division league with a 14-game regular season and a two-tier playoff schedule (where the top four teams play over weeks 15 and 16 for the championship, and the bottom eight over weeks 15, 16, and 17 for the Suck Bowl.)

Two divisions are already decided; but the third division has two teams at 10-3, both of whom have locked up their playoff spots and are merely jockeying for playoff position. Here's the problem: a few days ago, on the cusp of the playoffs, one of the 10-3 teams decided to quit the league (for personal reasons). This has left me in a difficult situation about how to decide the playoff schedule.

I have a had a few options recommended to me. 1) I could let the team run unattended as far into the playoffs as it will go; 2) As commissioner, I could run the team myself through the playoffs; or 3) I could delete the team and bump up the fifth-place team to the Wild Card spot, and give the team with the best record in the Suck round a first-round bye.

I don't like the first two options because they present money and credibility issues. How would I distribute any winnings? Divide them up evenly among the eleven teams? Divide it among the top four team? Keep it all for myself? Use it to lower the 2006 season entry fee? As for credibility, what happens if a couple of his players get injured in Week 14 and he limps into the playoffs? Is it right for his first-round opponent to get a cakewalk to the championship? Worse yet, what if he wins in the first round, and the championship opponent gets a cake walk?

I personally like the third option because it appears to be the fairest: the next-best team (fifth place) is in legitimate succession; the payout schedule remains unaffected (he said I could keep his entry fee); and the winner of the championship doesn't have an asterisk hanging over his head. And who cares about the Suck Bowl? (LOL!)

Since I run my league on the CEO model and not by majority vote (hey, I got lotsa integrity!), I was initially going to go with option three; but a couple of the other team owners thought I might be able to make a more informed decision if I got a little more advice from other posters here. Sounded reasonable to me.

So, what do you guys think I should do?

I like option #3.

Sounds pretty weird that the guy would just pull out. All he had to do was sit a lineup and not check it again. Sounds weird, but sure you know a lot more about it.

If he doesn't want to do that, then I'd go with option #3. That sounds the most fair. If for some weird reason, an NFL team couldn't make it, I'm sure they wouldn't leave the spot open.

Sorry that owner had to pull out, but the playoffs should be filled and active. That's the fun part. Having a ghost team is no fun.

What if a Huddler stepped in and ran that team until it was eliminated (or won the thing)? :D Has Megan Fox La'Louche who quit already paid all his fees? Is the league hosted online? If it were free and accessible online, I'd think the Donutrun Empire might be willing to take on another team for the stretch ... :D

Edited by Donutrun Jellies

I think you should set his lineup, and, if in doubt on a starter, poll the owners in your "suck" bowl.

Any money that he wins, send it to him...

If that's not a desired option, then use it to either

1. Add it to next years pot

2. Use it for the pizza and beer at next years draft

3. Use it to lower the overall fees for the next year.

Don't allow a non-playoff team the chance to win it all.

I think you should set his lineup, and, if in doubt on a starter, poll the owners in your "suck" bowl.

1.  Add it to next years pot

2.  Use it for the pizza and beer at next years draft

3.  Use it to lower the overall fees for the next year.

1203005[/snapback]

Hey, I'll run the team for ya! How much can I win?

Most of the Vets here at the Huddle will probably agree that someone should take over running the team through the playoffs, and if that team wins money it should be divided evenly among all the owners.

If you allow someone into the playoffs at this point that would otherwise have been eliminated, and that team ends up knocking someone else out, you will have problems.

The only question for me would be, are you as the Commissioner in the playoffs as well? If so, then you probably want to get someone else to run the team who is not directly competing for money, or else run it by committee each week. If you're not in the playoffs yourself, then just run the team yourself, fielding the most competitive lineup each week.

1203005[/snapback]

Agree.

Most of the Vets here at the Huddle will probably agree that someone should take over running the team through the playoffs, and if that team wins money it should be divided evenly among all the owners.

If you allow someone into the playoffs at this point that would otherwise have been eliminated, and that team ends up knocking someone else out, you will have problems.

The only question for me would be, are you as the Commissioner in the playoffs as well?  If so, then you probably want to get someone else to run the team who is not directly competing for money, or else run it by committee each week.  If you're not in the playoffs yourself, then just run the team yourself, fielding the most competitive lineup each week.

1203095[/snapback]

I tend to agree with this. By dropping out of the league at such a crucial point he is forfeiting his right to any winnings even if his team is left unattended and he wins the whole thing. So that option I don't think is right when you have other owners who are actively involved and putting in the time and effort. I think Savage has it right and if that team does end up winning some dough, then it should be distributed equally among the participants or used to somehow benefit everyone.

My 2 cents.

To protect the integity of the league, you might suggest to him that he find someone not affiliated with your league (to eliminate any conflict of interest) to take it over, or if you can't contact him, just tell the league that you'll find someone (probably find plenty of volunteers from this forum). If you have to find someone. You could offer the "take over" manager some portion of any winnings and maybe use the rest toward next years league fees or distribute among the playoff teams.

Just my opinion.

1203005[/snapback]

This is a great Idea.

bump!  Need more wily veteran advice from all you huddle members!

1204465[/snapback]

I've checked with my staff and if it is web-based, turn it over to my Assistant General Manager of Random Decision Making at the Donutrun Empire ... She'll play it out and see if she can run the table ... If she has success, send her the first $20 of her winnings for her troubles via paypal (nothing if she wins less than that) and keep the rest to lower the league fee next year for the other owners ... :D

Or is the idea of getting slapped around by a Donut's daughter tooo intimidating for this particular situation? :D

I think you should let someone else run the team. Letting someone in the playoffs who doesn't deserve it could create problems. What if the team you let in beats a team that would have beaten the 10-3 team? There are all kinds of things that could offset the balance negatively.

I have to suspect the guys personal reasons could not be avoided. So if you think he's due, do the best you can and get him his winnings. If he left because he was mad at the league, run the team out and decide to give him any winnings or break it out like suggested already.

No way should you let someone else in the playoffs.

If he has announced his pullout from the league, I'd consider his playoff spot to be forfeited, and promote the current 5th place team. That way, you are ensured of all of the playoff teams being managed 100%, instead of just setting a lineup on the missing guy's team, or having someone else run it who might have ulterior motives (i.e being friends with another owner in the playoffs who he subsequently "loses" to).

I don't want to deal with a crying little girlie' when she gets throttled in the playoffs.  I'll need some better advice than that!  :D

1204609[/snapback]

I understand ... tooo bad though -- she's always happy to slap around those who underestimate her ... Would have made great fodder in here. :D

In that case, I say vaporize the team, lock the players from being picked up by other owners, and let the team behind them slide up into the playoff spot. Then mail the guy a dead frog as a sign of the league's displeasure with him. :D

Let the toilet bowl owners decide by concensus. Then take the winnings to lower the league fees for next year. The toilet bowlers would have something to play for because their fees would be lower. Also it avoids any appearance of collusion if you chose someone to run the team and they ended up playing you.