[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can someone explain this to me?

T-Scorp

Let me get this right...

Gado is being tackled in the end zone...attempts to throw throw the ball forward.

Green Bay is penalized for intentional grounding and holding. The holding call is declined and the IG penalty is accepted the Lions are awarded a safety. :D

THEN....the officials get together, scratch their asses and decide GAdo was throwing the ball to an eligible receiver (Hederson I believe) and that it was an eligible pass. It a huge stretch but hey I can buy that. :D

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE HOLDING CALL...the replays clearly showed holding IN THE ENDZONE? :doah: :D

Please explain this to me....

Edited by T-Scorp

Bad call, but the Lions should have kicked the field goal on 4th and goal. If you didn't get it in the first three times, why would you get it in on the fourth time? Why have Garcia sneak it in the hole? The Lions didn't deserve to win the game. The refs blew the call, but the Lions blew the game.

To me, it looked like the hold began at the half yard line and continued 3 yards into the endzone (he pretty much grabbed him from the snap). Should this be called as in the endzone, I have no idea??? But if the pass was outside the pocket, then that shouldn't have been a penalty.

Bad call, but the Lions should have kicked the field goal on 4th and goal.  If you didn't get it in the first three times, why would you get it in on the fourth time?  Why have Garcia sneak it in the hole?  The Lions didn't deserve to win the game.  The refs blew the call, but the Lions blew the game.

1209862[/snapback]

That's the key point. They weren't driving Grady off the ball.

maybe i was dreaming, but the replay did show the hold happening outside the end zone. combine that with gado throwing the ball forward as he was going down and i thought the refs got it right. actually was a heads-up play by gado to try anything to avoid the safety - and it worked.

:D

what was funny to me was the announcers trying to get it right beforehand. they had no freakin' clue what sherman was complaining about. i love it when those guys try to get ahead of the game and then end up backtracking ... they do it quite a bit.

Edited by tonorator

what was funny to me was the announcers trying to get it right beforehand.  they had no freakin' clue what sherman was complaining about.  i love it when those guys try to get ahead of the game and then end up backtracking ... they do it quite a bit.

1210115[/snapback]

very rarely do those announcers never have a clue as to what's going on. i think i'd rather watch Everyone loves Raymond that listen to those guys.

maybe i was dreaming, but the replay did show the hold happening outside the end zone.  combine that with gado throwing the ball forward as he was going down and i thought the refs got it right.  actually was a heads-up play by gado to try anything to avoid the safety - and it worked.

what was funny to me was the announcers trying to get it right beforehand.  they had no freakin' clue what sherman was complaining about.  i love it when those guys try to get ahead of the game and then end up backtracking ... they do it quite a bit.

1210115[/snapback]

I disagree. The GB lineman engaged the Lions DL on the snap, was drove back, and then held and pulled the Lions DL down in the endzone. However the question I have is, who was Gado throwing it to? I did not see anyone around the ball. Throwing the ball away to avoid a sack is intentional grounding, right?

maybe i was dreaming, but the replay did show the hold happening outside the end zone.  combine that with gado throwing the ball forward as he was going down and i thought the refs got it right.  actually was a heads-up play by gado to try anything to avoid the safety - and it worked.

1210115[/snapback]

they showed an overhead replay, and i thought it was pretty clear that the holding was in the endzone.

i loved when theisman was complaining that gado began his run "8 yards deep in the endzone." the endzone is only 10 yards total.

they showed an overhead replay, and i thought it was pretty clear that the holding was in the endzone.

i loved when theisman was complaining that gado began his run "8 yards deep in the endzone." the endzone is only 10 yards total.

1210248[/snapback]

ok, so maybe i was dreaming ... looked like the 1 yard line to me, but the kids were throwing the football around the house and it was hard to see ...

i remember that quote from theisman too ... i was thinking, 8 yards deep? looked like 4 to me ... they love to overdramaticize.

Digest of Rules

Intentional Grounding of Forward Pass

1. Intentional grounding of a forward pass is a foul: loss of down and 10 yards from previous spot if passer is in the field of play or loss of down at the spot of the foul if it occurs more than 10 yards behind the line or safety if passer is in his own end zone when ball is released.

2. Intentional grounding will be called when a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage due to pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.

3. Intentional grounding will not be called when a passer, while out of the pocket and facing an imminent loss of yardage, throws a pass that lands at or beyond the line of scrimmage, even if no offensive player(s) have a realistic chance to catch the ball (including if the ball lands out of bounds over the sideline or end line).

. There are four basic spots at which a penalty for a foul is enforced:

(a) Spot of foul: The spot where the foul is committed.

(:D Previous spot: The spot where the ball was put in play.

© Spot of snap, backward pass or fumble: The spot where the foul occurred or the spot where the penalty is to be enforced.

(d) Succeeding spot: The spot where the ball next would be put in play if no distance penalty were to be enforced.

Exception: If foul occurs after a touchdown and before the whistle for a try, succeeding spot is spot of next kickoff.

2. All fouls committed by offensive team behind the line of scrimmage (except in the end zone) shall be penalized from the previous spot. If the foul is in the end zone, it is a safety.

3. When spot of enforcement for fouls involving defensive holding or illegal use of hands by the defense is behind the line of scrimmage, any penalty yardage to be assessed on that play shall be measured from the line if the foul occurred beyond the line.

That call was complete BS! Gado made a bonehead play by fumbling forward to avoid a safety and was actually rewarded for it.

Say what you will, but that was not a pass. It was a desperate attempt at not getting tackled in the end zone with the ball. What if Detroit jumped on the ball instead of GB and it was ruled a fumble the way it should have been? The the Lions would have had the ball on the one foot line.

If it was a pass, which it wasn't, it didn't get past the line of scrimmage. That call was screwed up all around. If the Lions had a GM that knew how to run a draft, I would just look at that loss as getting us a better draft pick, but that hasn't worked lately...

Signed,

A Bitter Lions fan (is there any other kind?)

To me, it looked like the hold began at the half yard line and continued 3 yards into the endzone (he pretty much grabbed him from the snap).  Should this be called as in the endzone, I have no idea???  But if the pass was outside the pocket, then that shouldn't have been a penalty.

1209873[/snapback]

All emotion aside, KCMast is correct. THe hold began outside the endzone and proceeded into it. I think it gets called where it began. As for the pass play, it was the bizzaro play of the year, but as the rule summary above shows -- they got it right ... the video sure looked like an intentional shovel forward instead of an accidental loose ball. :D

That call was complete BS! Gado made a bonehead play by fumbling forward to avoid a safety and was actually rewarded for it.

Say what you will, but that was not a pass. It was a desperate attempt at not getting tackled in the end zone with the ball. What if Detroit jumped on the ball instead of GB and it was ruled a fumble the way it should have been? The the Lions would have had the ball on the one foot line.

If it was a pass, which it wasn't, it didn't get past the line of scrimmage. That call was screwed up all around. If the Lions had a GM that knew how to run a draft, I would just look at that loss as getting us a better draft pick, but that hasn't worked lately...

Signed,

A Bitter Lions fan (is there any other kind?)

1211041[/snapback]

But they still wouldn't have been able to punch it in :D

It was a horrible example of officiating, no doubt.

1209774[/snapback]

Well, you didn't need to see that play to realize that. It was evident when it took them a good several minutes to start overtime because none of them could find a coin to flip... :doah: