[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thoughts on My League Mess?!?!?

Richard

I am in a league that allows ties during the regular season. I am assuming that it was an oversight on behalf of the commissioner (and the rest of the league) that we do not have any rules spelled out on breaking ties for playoff games. However, I am one of two teams that are now getting squeezed into a very uncomfortable position since we tied for the Super Bowl.

The commissioner, my opponent, and another league member are all advocating extending the season by one week and re-playing the championship game. Of course, I have several key players who will not play much, if at all....especially Alexander. I used the analogy of marathon organizers telling the runners as they cross the finish line at the end of the grueling 26.1 mile race that they need to run an additional five miles.

I was/am advocating establishing the policy for a playoff tie-breakers (i.e. reserve points, kicker or QB points, total TD points, higher seed, etc.) via a league vote and then applying whatever chosen standard is from here on. Obviously, this doesn't sit well with my opponent, because almost all thinkable scenarios would have me winning.

I now believe the most fair thing to do is to have us declared "Co-Champions" and split the pot evenly. But I had another league member criticize that plan by saying, "would the NFL allow ties and Co-Champs in the real Super Bowl"? I obviously would rather be the sole champ, but I think extending the season by one additional week is unfair.

Thoughts?!?!?! What would you guys do if you were, the Commish, me, my opponent? For a silly game, this sure has left a bad taste in my mouth!

But I had another league member criticize that plan by saying, "would the NFL allow ties and Co-Champs in the real Super Bowl"?

1239070[/snapback]

Well....the obvious answer to that question is "No, they are smart enough to have rules to break ties in the first place. And one of them is NOT, come back next week and we'll start over!" :D

Simple logic says, you have nothing in place to break ties, so it's impossible to break the tie. Tie=Split Pot

I am in a league that allows ties during the regular season.  I am assuming that it was an oversight on behalf of the commissioner (and the rest of the league) that we do not have any rules spelled out on breaking ties for playoff games.  However, I am one of two teams that are now getting squeezed into a very uncomfortable position since we tied for the Super Bowl.

The commissioner, my opponent, and another league member are all advocating extending the season by one week and re-playing the championship game.  Of course, I have several key players who will not play much, if at all....especially Alexander.  I used the analogy of marathon organizers telling the runners as they cross the finish line at the end of the grueling 26.1 mile race that they need to run an additional five miles.

I was/am advocating establishing the policy for a playoff tie-breakers (i.e. reserve points, kicker or QB points, total TD points, higher seed, etc.) via a league vote and then applying whatever chosen standard is from here on.  Obviously, this doesn't sit well with my opponent, because almost all thinkable scenarios would have me winning.

I now believe the most fair thing to do is to have us declared "Co-Champions" and split the pot evenly.  But I had another league member criticize that plan by saying, "would the NFL allow ties and Co-Champs in the real Super Bowl"?  I obviously would rather be the sole champ, but I think extending the season by one additional week is unfair.

Thoughts?!?!?!  What would you guys do if you were, the Commish, me, my opponent?  For a silly game, this sure has left a bad taste in my mouth!

1239070[/snapback]

You're right. They should just declare you co-champs and you should split the pot with the other guy.

The person who said "would the NFL allow ties and Co-Champs in the real Super Bowl" is missing the boat. The NFL has rules in place to deal with that stuff, and unfortunately, your league does not. Changing any rules (extending the season :D , using bench points to break ties, etc.) in any way during the regular season is just plain wrong and unethical. Again, just split the pot, address tie breakers in the offseason and consider it a lesson learned. Let us know what happens.

Split it, and fix the mess next year. If I was you I would wonder if you even should be in it again.

With no proir rules in place for tie-breakers , you must split the title, no other way would be fair.

1239073[/snapback]

Agreed. :D

And I think you'll find this to be the overwhelmingly popular answer here at the Huddle given the scenario that you've provided.

By the way, you probably tied because you don't use decimal scoring.  You should.

1239102[/snapback]

Good information here. This is the best tie breaker -- and if it is a tie after that, it was meant to be. :D

But you STILL can't do that or anything else this year, absent the rule being in place going in. :D

I don't foresee anyone suggesting anything other than splitting this years pot and changing the rules for 2006.

By the way, you probably tied because you don't use decimal scoring.  You should.

1239102[/snapback]

:D

By virtue of the fact that ties are allowed during the season and no provision was made for SB ties, the only solution is split the money and declare co-champs. My rationale is ties were foreseeable, so with no rule, that in itself IS the rule. Anything else would be against the rules, until youm change them in '06'.

Yup.

Any rule implemented now will be interpreted by the losing owner as unfairly favoring the winning owner. There is absolutely no way around it. And in all fairness tie-breakers can NOT be implemented after the fact because no matter how hard you try they will not be percieved as fair by the losing owner.

I simply can't believe how many leagues don't have rules in place to handle ties. :D

The ONLY solution at this point is to split the pot.