[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I need this explained to me

giantsfan

He is an average HC who has missed the playoffs twice in 5 years and has NEVER made it to the conference title game. So please explain to me why, when there are tons of people available, would KC give up maybe 4th and 5th round picks for Herm. I just don't get it.

1248025[/snapback]

why would any team give up picks for any coach?unless he's gonna take some snaps at QB,I don't like it.

It's all over the Radio here, 4th and a 5th. Nothing confimed of course. I am okay with it as he is the guy all of us here want. Had it been for high draft picks then I woulda been pissed.

Guest Cherni
He is an average HC who has missed the playoffs twice in 5 years and has NEVER made it to the conference title game. So please explain to me why, when there are tons of people available, would KC give up maybe 4th and 5th round picks for Herm. I just don't get it.

1248025[/snapback]

Good info here. Take the picks and ship Herm off. Nothing against Herm but draft picks are money.

And it's going to happen according to radio in NY. Maybe a 3rd and 5th or a 4th and 5th. I think KC is nuts and the Jets are coming out WAY ahead here getting 2 decent picks for an average HC. I just don't know what KC is thinking here.

1248070[/snapback]

They want to help the Jet's close the gap between the Pat's and Phin's 2-3 years ahead of schedule? Seriously though, with the high draft pick this year, and extra picks for Herm, it will be a quantum leap for the Jet's, and could pump life back into them sooner rather that later.

The Jets gave up pics for Parcells. He took them from 1-15 to the playoffs. The Pats gave up picks for Belichick. 3 Superbowls. The Bucs gave up picks for Gruden. SB Victory.

The only one of those coaches to win a SB previously was Parcells. Maybe KC thinks Herm has what it takes to get them over the top next season :D

Edited by Caveman_Nick

They want to help the Jet's close the gap between the Pat's and Phin's 2-3 years ahead of schedule? Seriously though, with the high draft pick this year, and extra picks for Herm, it will be a quantum leap for the Jet's, and could pump life back into them sooner rather that later.

1248089[/snapback]

You're forgetting the Jet's history of drafting. :D

I like Edwards. 4th and 5th round picks, meh. I'd rather have both Edwards and the picks but if Edwards is Peterson's man then you don't have the two years to wait before the window (offensively) in Kansas City could be closed.

If Chiefs' management thinks they are ready to contend for a Super Bowl in the next two yearsit is easily a good move. For a 4th and a 5th might be worth it even if not.

And it's going to happen according to radio in NY. Maybe a 3rd and 5th or a 4th and 5th. I think KC is nuts and the Jets are coming out WAY ahead here getting 2 decent picks for an average HC. I just don't know what KC is thinking here.

1248070[/snapback]

Shhhhhhhhh someone on KC might hear you...

Seriously though, I think it will only be one pick - probably a third.

Their saying Heimerdinger is the frontrunner for the Jets HC job, with Fassel being an outside contender. I'd much rather see Heimerdinger get a shot than to bring in Fassel.

Hopefully, they'll get a couple of decent OLmen and either a defensive tackle or a wide-receiver with speed to go deep. Muddle through another year with Martin and either Chad (if healthy) or a journeyman QB while the rookies develop. Then in 2007 get a real QB (via FA) and a draft young RB and hope another window of opportunity opens in the 2007-2009 timeframe with that new nucleus of offensive players before the defense gets too old and needs rebuilt. I concede it's a longshot, but its the only way I can see to try to get back in contention.

KC's track record in the draft ain't exactly pretty, people. I don't like the move because of Edwards. I could care less about the draft picks. Peterson doesn't use them wisely anyway.

All this does is guarantee the Chiefs will be mediocre for the next 5 years, which is enough to fill the seats at Arrowhead, which is all Peterson cares about.

The Chiefs will have their usual record anywhere between 8-8 and 10-6 for the next 5 years.

Some HC's are worth draft picks.... some HC's aren't.

Edwards, nice guy that he is.... is not one of those worth draft picks.

1248159[/snapback]

Exactly. I just don't get what KC sees here. What has Herm done? Comparing him to a Parcells or a Belichick, both of whom won SB's, Belichick as a DC, is crazy. To me this is ridiculous by KC and the Jets are getting VERY lucky here. They give up their average HC for 2 picks? Are you kidding me. Whether or not you think Perterson will do anything with the picks doesn't matter because obviously you still rather have them then not have them. I am just lost as to why KC would do this and just as lost when I hear any KC fan say he likes the move.

Shhhhhhhhh someone on KC might hear you...

Seriously though, I think it will only be one pick - probably a third.

Their saying Heimerdinger is the frontrunner for the Jets HC job, with Fassel being an outside contender. 

1248130[/snapback]

Wow Vet, a typo??? After the crap you gave me about my typo??? I hate people who call out typos, but in your case I'll make an exception. Maybe you need to visit la biblioteca?

You can bank on KC trading down in the first round to try to replace some of the lost picks ...

Oh, and look for them to spend an early pick on at least one offensive lineman (maybe even their first rounder).

Herm cant manage a clock and has made some pretty bad decisions in his short HC career..He is an intense and motivated guy but now worth a big compensation package.

The Jets gave up pics for Parcells.  He took them from 1-15 to the playoffs.  The Pats gave up picks for Belichick.  3 Superbowls.  The Bucs gave up picks for Gruden.  SB Victory.

The only one of those coaches to win a SB previously was Parcells.  Maybe KC thinks Herm has what it takes to get them over the top next season :D

1248109[/snapback]

KC gave up high picks for Vermeil and made the playoffs once in his five years, losing their lone playoff game ...

:D

It's entirely possible that I'm wrong, but my impression of Edwards is that he's a "players" coach. Somehow, I'm thinking that might not be what young LJ and co. needs, but it's just a hunch. :D Vermeil was a touchy feely kinda guy too and it worked out OK (for fantasy football at least :D)

It's entirely possible that I'm wrong, but my impression of Edwards is that he's a "players" coach. Somehow, I'm thinking that might not be what young LJ and co. needs, but it's just a hunch. :D Vermeil was a touchy feely kinda guy too and it worked out OK (for fantasy football at least :D)

1249007[/snapback]

Herm is a players coach for the most part, but he'll also drop the hammer on a player when necessary. He suspended John Abraham for a game - a very important game a couple years ago - after Abraham got a DUI. And he's not afraid to have players ride the pine if he thinks they aren't working hard in practice. But he's not an "in your face" disciplinarian. I think he needs to surround himself with "tough" coordinators that get in the players faces. Then, he can kind of play good-cop, bad-cop with Herm being the good cop. I was looking forward to seeing how that worked this year, with Heimerdinger and Henderson both being in-your-face kind of coordinators, but with all the injuries we were never able to tell if it was a good formula or not.

I will say that Herm runs a fairly loose training camp and I believe that is a big part of the reason why the Jets typically got off to terrible starts under his regime. Only in 2004 did they get off to a fast start, going 5-0, but it was against very weak competition. It'll be interesting to see if he changes this in KC and starts running a tougher camp.

I think KC is getting a good coach. Herm's not the guy to rebuild the Jets right now. But given a team with good talent - like KC - he'll do well. He'll get them to the playoffs next year and maybe a Superbowl in the next few years. Then the same people who are on this board today criticizing the Chiefs for giving up too much to get Herm will be mocking the Jets for letting Herm go.

Edited by Vet

Herm is a players coach for the most part, but he'll also drop the hammer on a player when necessary.  He suspended John Abraham for a game - a very important game a couple years ago - after Abraham got a DUI.  And he's not afraid to have players ride the pine if he thinks they aren't working hard in practice.  But he's not an "in your face" disciplinarian.  I think he needs to surround himself with "tough" coordinators that get in the players faces.  Then, he can kind of play good-cop, bad-cop with Herm being the good cop.  I was looking forward to seeing how that worked this year, with Heimerdinger and Henderson both being in-your-face kind of coordinators, but with all the injuries we were never able to tell if it was a good formula or not.

I will say that Herm runs a fairly loose training camp and I believe that is a big part of the reason why the Jets typically got off to terrible starts under his regime.  Only in 2004 did they get off to a fast start, going 5-0, but it was against very weak competition.  It'll be interesting to see if he changes this in KC and starts running a tougher camp.

I think KC is getting a good coach.  Herm's not the guy to rebuild the Jets right now.  But given a team with good talent - like KC - he'll do well.  He'll get them to the playoffs next year and maybe a Superbowl in the next few years.  Then the same people who are on this board today criticizing the Chiefs for giving up too much to get Herm will be mocking the Jets for letting Herm go.

1249032[/snapback]

Exactly :D