[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Young should be the first QB taken

giantsfan

When was the last time a QB that had a 1000 yards rushing in college amounted to anything in the NFL?

As an Aggie I fervently hope Vince Young enters the draft!

1248915[/snapback]

And I hope Spain is right and the Titans take him at #3. :D

when Young received the offensive MVP award after the game, he sure made it sound like he was coming back....i know that can change though.

1248987[/snapback]

Brown will be pushing him to come back next year for a run at the Heisman. Many other people will be bring up Willis McGahee's name in discussions with him.

IMO he should go pro ... his value will NEVER be higher that it is right now.

Brown will be pushing him to come back next year for a run at the Heisman.  Many other people will be bring up Willis McGahee's name in discussions with him.

IMO he should go pro ... his value will NEVER be higher that it is right now.

1248994[/snapback]

Agreed.

He said last night after the game he would talk with his family, and talking with the team. The only reason he would go pro would be to earn the money to support his family.

I agree that his value is at its peak. When he comes back next year, the defense will not be as dominant as they loose their MLB, SS, and CB. Plus he risks injury, especially with how he plays. At least he would be under contract if he got injured in the NFL next season.

After 250 passing yards, 30/40 on attemps, 17 rushes for 200 yards, and 3 TDs...

You'd have to be crazy not to go pro after that game.

Besides, I want to see him at the Combine so I can see his 40 time.

VY should go pro. Best case for him would be to get drafted by the Titans and have McNair around him for a year or so. VY and McNair are very tight. If he goes pro he will definitely be a better QB than Vick. He is bigger, harder to take down, less injury prone, and a hell of a lot more accurate. While they really didn't take any shots deep down field to show off his arm strength, let me assure you he has a moster arm as well. As a Texas fan, I hope like hell he stays, so that Texas can get another NC, but as a realist, he would be dumb to do so, just like that idiot "I still think we have a better team" Lienart.

3. Young led the NCAA in passing efficentcy

1248729[/snapback]

First let me say that I do not watch much college football, but I did watch the game last night. From what I saw, it's pretty easy for VY to lead the league in passing efficiency when all his passes are under 10 yards. It's not like this guy is slinging it around out there. Don't get me wrong, he looked very good last night, but he basically looks to run everytime and then if a lane closes he throws a quick 5 yard pass. Maybe this was just last night as I said I don't watch much so I haven't seen him play before.

First let me say that I do not watch much college football, but I did watch the game last night.  From what I saw, it's pretty easy for VY to lead the league in passing efficiency when all his passes are under 10 yards.  It's not like this guy is slinging it around out there.  Don't get me wrong, he looked very good last night, but he basically looks to run everytime and then if a lane closes he throws a quick 5 yard pass.  Maybe this was just last night as I said I don't watch much so I haven't seen him play before.

1249025[/snapback]

Same here. I was listening to Mike&Mike on ESPN radio this morning and they were saying that Young has not demonstrated that he can drop back, read a defense, and make the throws that are necessary in an NFL offense - the out patterns, long crossing patterns, etc. I've only seen him against Ohio State and then again last night. His passes seem to have a lot of zip on them, so I think he has the arm strength to make those NFL-type passes. But I don't know if he has the accuracy and the decision-making ability. I guess only time will tell.

I think a "bigger, stronger Michael Vick" is a good comparison right now. I'm just not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

I think a "bigger, stronger Michael Vick" is a good comparison right now.  I'm just not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

1249044[/snapback]

I'm sure ... and it depends on what you want. If you want a player that is exciting to watch and will get you some wins during the regular season but perennially fall short in the playoffs then it's a good thing. If you want to win some championships then it's a bad thing.

First let me say that I do not watch much college football, but I did watch the game last night.  From what I saw, it's pretty easy for VY to lead the league in passing efficiency when all his passes are under 10 yards.  It's not like this guy is slinging it around out there.  Don't get me wrong, he looked very good last night, but he basically looks to run everytime and then if a lane closes he throws a quick 5 yard pass.  Maybe this was just last night as I said I don't watch much so I haven't seen him play before.

1249025[/snapback]

I didn't really see him ever looking to run first last night. He went through his reads and if their was nobody to dump it off to he took off and gained good yardage. The plays where he did take off running first were designed runs for him. I agree that he is a lot better than Vick. I believe he throws the short passes because it is open, he takes what the defense gives him, the defense is so worried about him running that all the WR's have to do is take the secondary down field and leave the RB's and TE's free to roam the middle and get open, if they don't he takes off and has lots of running room and open space to make people miss, and then he is hard to bring down once you do get in position to tackle him because of his size.

I still think Leinert has a better arm than most think. He too doesn't throw deep because he plays within the system, if you can throw dump off passes to Jarrett and Bush and get 6-7 yards every play, as a player on a TEAM, why wouldn't you do that?

Am I the only one that thinks Jarrett is going to be special and a very good WR in the NFL, I presume he comes out after next year.

I'm sure ... and it depends on what you want.  If you want a player that is exciting to watch and will get you some wins during the regular season but perennially fall short in the playoffs then it's a good thing.  If you want to win some championships then it's a bad thing.

1249045[/snapback]

We've discussed how the mold has been made and GM's will chase it.

That is something you just don't know whether or not you'll get. Obviously, VY has the tools to play in the NFL and be an exciting player. But, at Texas, they aren't running a pro style offense and he might very well get messed up once he goes pro and gets coached up.

I would think that his throwing motion would scare the crap out of a lot of teams.

I didn't really see him ever looking to run first last night. He went through his reads and if their was nobody to dump it off to he took off and gained good yardage. The plays where he did take off running first were designed runs for him. I agree that he is a lot better than Vick. I believe he throws the short passes because it is open, he takes what the defense gives him, the defense is so worried about him running that all the WR's have to do is take the secondary down field and leave the RB's and TE's free to roam the middle and get open, if they don't he takes off and has lots of running room and open space to make people miss, and then he is hard to bring down once you do get in position to tackle him because of his size.

1249051[/snapback]

Very valid points, and as I said, I don't watch much college football so I was basing everything on what I saw last night. Maybe it's that Texas WR's did take everyone deep to leave room and Young did just take advantage of the short openings. I would be very interested to see him turn pro and then we'll all see what tools him and Leinart do have when at the combine.

Same here.  I was listening to Mike&Mike on ESPN radio this morning and they were saying that Young has not demonstrated that he can drop back, read a defense, and make the throws that are necessary in an NFL offense - the out patterns, long crossing patterns, etc.  I've only seen him against Ohio State and then again last night.  His passes seem to have a lot of zip on them, so I think he has the arm strength to make those NFL-type passes.  But I don't know if he has the accuracy and the decision-making ability.  I guess only time will tell.

1249044[/snapback]

completely agree...I would love to see him do well in the NFL but he's gonna have to learn to throw a football correctly and lose that side-arm crap..

Leinart doesnt have the arm palmer does, and Vick isnt as accurate, or durable as Vince.

1248783[/snapback]

Pete Carroll did a radio interview in Boston a few months back (no link, sorry), and he was talking about the differences between the 2. He said that, while Leinart was a very good QB from the mental aspect of the game, Palmer was a far superior QB physically. Carroll called Palmer 'the perfect QB from a physical standpoint'

completely agree...I would love to see him do well in the NFL but he's gonna have to learn to throw a football correctly and lose that side-arm crap..

1249147[/snapback]

Yea, it didn't work for Favre. Some times mechanics aren't everything. You have to remember the guy is 6-5 so even if his delivery is side arm, it is still higher than most QB's out there.

Anyone who think that VY is the next coming needs to understand something. Let me first say that I love his ability and think he is a special player and I am not ripping him but what the O-Line did for him says a lot. VY had a ton of time to throw and when there were called QB draws he had huge holes to run through. Yes he did have his great playes where he made the play himself but a majority of the time he was untouched until he got into the SC backfield. VY on a team, like NO or Houston would not have these holes to run though and would be under a ton of pressue. That changes things for a guy like VY. He did not throw the ball down the field much. I think that unless VY has the O-Line like KC, Denver, Pitt...he will have trouble early in the NFL. Lets not forget that the Texas O-Line deserved a lot of credit for Youngs game as well.

Anyone who think that VY is the next coming needs to understand something.  Let me first say that I love his ability and think he is a special player and I am not ripping him but what the O-Line did for him says a lot.  VY had a ton of time to throw and when there were called QB draws he had huge holes to run through.  Yes he did have his great playes where he made the play himself but a majority of the time he was untouched until he got into the SC backfield.  VY on a team, like NO or Houston would not have these holes to run though and would be under a ton of pressue.  That changes things for a guy like VY.  He did not throw the ball down the field much.  I think that unless VY has the O-Line like KC, Denver, Pitt...he will have trouble early in the NFL. Lets not forget that the Texas O-Line deserved a lot of credit for Youngs game as well.

1249312[/snapback]

There is no doubt that Texas has one of the best O-lines in the country. That being said, part of what makes them great in the passing game is VY. Teams are afraid to send the blitz on him, and encourage the D-line to contain him rather that rush him. So while part of it is good blocking, part of it is because of the way opposing teams have to scheme for VY.

Anyone who think that VY is the next coming needs to understand something.  Let me first say that I love his ability and think he is a special player and I am not ripping him but what the O-Line did for him says a lot.  VY had a ton of time to throw and when there were called QB draws he had huge holes to run through.  Yes he did have his great playes where he made the play himself but a majority of the time he was untouched until he got into the SC backfield.  VY on a team, like NO or Houston would not have these holes to run though and would be under a ton of pressue.  That changes things for a guy like VY.  He did not throw the ball down the field much.  I think that unless VY has the O-Line like KC, Denver, Pitt...he will have trouble early in the NFL. Lets not forget that the Texas O-Line deserved a lot of credit for Youngs game as well.

1249312[/snapback]

well, you could say the same about ANY QB for a great college team. i don't think anyone is under the impression that VY will pass for 250 yards and run for 200 more in the NFL. but he's got some tools that will serve him well in the pro game.

There is no doubt that Texas has one of the best O-lines in the country.  That being said, part of what makes them great in the passing game is VY.  Teams are afraid to send the blitz on him, and encourage the D-line to contain him rather that rush him. 

1249319[/snapback]

USC looked to be containing VY and stopping that last drive after they blitzed on 1st and 2nd down. Once they got them to 3rd and then 4th, they sat back again and it cost them.