[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Owens Free To Seek Trade

ebartender

Mort just reported that the Eagles have given Rosenhaus & Owens the right to talk to other teams about possible trades. This is interesting for two reasons. One, I would love to see Rosenhaus & Owens get no interest in a trade just so they see what other teams think. And second, do you think this means the Eagles could possibly keep Owens? I doubt any team would offer anything if they know Owens will be cut before next season.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dallas Cowboys, Tampa, Atlanta, et al are likely suitors..

1256869[/snapback]

Everyone is a suiter with the possible exception of Indy. All you have to do is look at the recycled loser coaches from team to team to see that NFL teams have no memory longer than their collective ... uh... short memories.

1256869[/snapback]

According to Mort, he thought a few teams would be interested but he said after talking to someone at one of the teams he said he was told that they were thinking of it, but then looked back at how he ruined two teams (San Fran & Philly) and was not interested anymore. Mort didn't mention what team said this of course. Mort also said that if Parcells didn't come back that Jerry Jones would have probably taken Owens, but not now with Parcells there.

According to Mort, he thought a few teams would be interested but he said after talking to someone at one of the teams he said he was told that they were thinking of it, but then looked back at how he ruined two teams (San Fran & Philly) and was not interested anymore.  Mort didn't mention what team said this of course.  Mort also said that if Parcells didn't come back that Jerry Jones would have probably taken Owens, but not now with Parcells there.

1256896[/snapback]

OK I'm not trying to :D here... really...

How did he "ruin" SF and Philly? Those teams were going to have problems with or without him. Now, I am NOT defending TO, not in the least. The guy's a big baby with a jackasz for an agent that created some HUGH issues on his past few teams. But to say he's single-handedly RUINED teams is giving him too much credit. The Niners were going to end up sucking any way you looked at it. And the Eagles? Well, gotta assume McNabb was going to get hurt at some point.

I still contend he's going to go somewhere and clean up his act and will be totally undervalued come fantasy draft time. I'm not gonna go out on an msaint-like limb and offer up some silly sigline bet, but I wouldn't be shocked if he got his act together and had a stellar season, regardless of what colors he's wearing.

I still contend he's going to go somewhere and clean up his act and will be totally undervalued come fantasy draft time.  I'm not gonna go out on an msaint-like limb and offer up some silly sigline bet, but I wouldn't be shocked if he got his act together and had a stellar season, regardless of what colors he's wearing.

1256918[/snapback]

I have HUGH doubts about him cleaning up his act. He has honed it down to a science and there is no turning back. The guy is a slug and a detriment to any locker room he will/would grace with his awesome presence.

There are few coaches around that could take an Owens and make him viable product. All those coaches are gone or the NFLPA has castrated them. Lombari, Allen, Madden.... none of those would make it today... and that is the type of coach Owens needs. Someone to slap him upside the head and tell him to shut his pie hole.... get out there and play or go home... right from the git go.. not after he has the team in termoil.

I have HUGH doubts about him cleaning up his act. He has honed it down to a science and there is no turning back. The guy is a slug and a detriment to any locker room he will/would grace with his awesome presence.

There are few coaches around that could take an Owens and make him viable product. All those coaches are gone or the NFLPA has castrated them. Lombari, Allen, Madden.... none of those would make it today... and that is the type of coach Owens needs. Someone to slap him upside the head and tell him to shut his pie hole.... get out there and play or go home... right from the git go.. not after he has the team in termoil.

1256933[/snapback]

He could go to the Pats. Teddy Bruschi is the only force on this earth that can get TO in line.

Any team would be foolish to offer anything for him. The Eagles will cut him loose and I doubt there will be much competition for his services all things considered.

However I would love to see the Eagles get a 1st round pick for him :D

Any team would be foolish to offer anything for him.  The Eagles will cut him loose and I doubt there will be much competition for his services all things considered.

However I would love to see the Eagles get a 1st round pick for him  :D

1256948[/snapback]

You can rest assured that there will be plenty of competition. The NFL is big on giving 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th chances. Especially (unfortunately) if the person they are giving a chance to has talent. The only thing against him would be the money being asked... that could/would be the only stopper in a lot of the negotiations.

You can rest assured that there will be plenty of competition. The NFL is big on giving 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th chances. Especially (unfortunately) if the person they are giving a chance to has talent. The only thing against him would be the money being asked... that could/would be the only stopper in a lot of the negotiations.

1256955[/snapback]

How high could the bidding get? 4 or 5 mil per year with a 2 maybe 3 year deal?

Very short memories and too few QBs good enough for Mr. Owens

How high could the bidding get?  4 or 5 mil per year with a 2 maybe 3 year deal?

Very short memories and too few QBs good enough for Mr. Owens

1256957[/snapback]

Someone mentioned earlier that the contract would be real minimum and heavy on the insentives. I could go with that being the rule of thumb. Doubt there would be much, if any, signing bonus.... nor would it be very long term.

Someone mentioned earlier that the contract would be real minimum and heavy on the insentives. I could go with that being the rule of thumb. Doubt there would be much, if any, signing bonus.... nor would it be very long term.

1256964[/snapback]

Along the lines of what I was thinking but there is always one crazy owner he will offer him the world. :D

TO and Smitty? I doubt even Fox could bring him around, which means you go to "Big Cat's" office (Mr Richardson), but after Smitty's visit couple of years back, the youung man has been humble(except for the ejection). Could Carolina's sense of "team" turn this A-Wipe around? I personally doubt it very much, but if he could be gotten on the cheap-ya never know.

Along the lines of what I was thinking but there is always one crazy owner he will offer him the world. :D

1256967[/snapback]

This is true... and...

1256933[/snapback]

I don't care WHO the coach is on whatever team he goes to is. They have (hopefully) learned their lessons and will be 100% straight with him from the outset. Play and shut up, or don't play at all. The choice will be simple for him. I THINK. Now, what you say is totally valid; he is a slug. And so is his greasy agent. But someone's gonna take the chance, someone will have the fire to keep him in line, and he'll be back. As much as I hate to say it, he'll be back. And will be good.

1256869[/snapback]

Today on the Dan Patric show he was saying that Tampa was considering him. According to Patric, Mort had been saying that TB management was talking to C Simms about the posibility of bringing Owens to the team.

Gruden has already proven that he will sit a star. If Owens is making a minimum salary loaded with incentives and starts his typical BS, he could be benched without costing too much money, relatively speaking.

Today on the Dan Patric show he was saying that Tampa was considering him.  According to Patric, Mort had been saying that TB management was talking to C Simms about the posibility of bringing Owens to the team. 

Gruden has already proven that he will sit a star.  If Owens is making a minimum salary loaded with incentives and starts his typical BS, he could be benched without costing too much money, relatively speaking.

1257046[/snapback]

I wouldn't be worried if the Bucs signed him because Gruden already dealt with Keyshawn and would not be afraid to sit TO down in a heartbeat. Simms thows a nice deepball so TO would love to get in on that. However, the Bucs cap is tight and they might not be able to offer as much as other teams. Bruce Allen does know how to make people fit though and they have $2 million extra this year due to the McCardell holdout arbitration. This will be a long offseason... :D

Where ever he goes, he better not be teamed with a rook at QB and he will produtive for at least 1 year, after that beware.