[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Owens Free To Seek Trade

ebartender

OK I'm not trying to :D here... really...

How did he "ruin" SF and Philly?

1256918[/snapback]

I agree, but that is exactly what Mort said. I don't think he ruined SF since they were on the way down. I do think he had a big hand in screwing up the Eagles last year. McNabb going down was the biggest thing, but T.O. really tore that team apart.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still contend he's going to go somewhere and clean up his act and will be totally undervalued come fantasy draft time. 

1256918[/snapback]

Although I do think he will produce next season and may be undervalued, there is no way he changes. He may play the good role for a year like he did in Philly. He will probably say the same thing with his new team like he said when he got to Philly. Thanking them from saving him from a bad situation. The fact that he is leaving a offensive minded team that passes more then any in the league and has a top QB says a lot. He is all about the money. I don't think there is any situation that would have been as good for him as the Eagles, as far as his production.

I agree, but that is exactly what Mort said.  I don't think he ruined SF since they were on the way down.  I do think he had a big hand in screwing up the Eagles last year.  McNabb going down was the biggest thing, but T.O. really tore that team apart.

1257192[/snapback]

But the Eagles were Superbowl contenders with him. :D

Wherever he goes, that team immediately gets much better. I think he's learned his lesson about his attitude.

Wherever he goes, that team immediately gets much better.  I think he's learned his lesson about his attitude.

1257212[/snapback]

Nope!

Wherever he goes, that team immediately gets much better.  I think he's learned his lesson about his attitude.

1257212[/snapback]

Once again, I agree that he can make a team better (unless he starts with his media crap that can tear a team apart) and he did give the Eagles another threat which helped them two seasons ago. But the Eagles also made 3 straight NFC championships without him and they did fine in the playoffs 2 seasons ago while he was out, making it to the Superbowl.

The sad thing is that he could have been one of the top WRs ever if he just shut up and played. I would think a guy who needs his ego stroked as much as he does would love to be considered one of the best ever.

1257212[/snapback]

What makes you think he learned his lesson? He did it with San Fran and now with Philly. This is why guys like Owens get away with the crap they pull. People are always willing to look the other way because he has talent.

He will get small contract offers - 2 years. I doubt that the Eagles will get anything for him...I would take a 5th rounder and be happy. Anything more is a bonus.

I agree that he will be on good behavior for about 1 year or until the team he is on starts to lose.

I will still try to steal him next draft. Wow...that would that be weird. I hate him for his part in the Eagles fiasco but will love him if he is winning me games in FFL. That is until of course he acts like TO, gets suspended, and then I will be able to hate him again.

I agree, but that is exactly what Mort said.  I don't think he ruined SF since they were on the way down.  I do think he had a big hand in screwing up the Eagles last year.  McNabb going down was the biggest thing, but T.O. really tore that team apart.

1257192[/snapback]

OK I'll give you that. The parking in coaches' spots, everything else... he was a hugh detriment. But independent of that crap, if he WOULD have been on the straight-and-narrow, I think that team still flounders. Just a hunch.

Oh, and to the talk of him going to Tampa... I can definitely see that. 1-year deal, Gruden in his grill saying "I dealt with Meshawn, I can deal with you, PUNK! Now let's go win some football games."

I still contend he's going to go somewhere and clean up his act and will be totally undervalued come fantasy draft time.  I'm not gonna go out on an msaint-like limb and offer up some silly sigline bet, but I wouldn't be shocked if he got his act together and had a stellar season, regardless of what colors he's wearing.

1256918[/snapback]

I heard Millen and Mr Ford are looking into re-uniting TO with Garcia. They don't feel they have enough weapons at wr yet and it will be a big help in hiring a new coach. :D

Honolulu blue and silver would be a tough color for him to be wearing :D

Is Joe Gibbs interested in slapping him around?

TO seems like the sort of high-profile player Danny-Boy would have definately added a couple of years ago ... not so sure now, though...

Edited by muck

I still contend he's going to go somewhere and clean up his act and will be totally undervalued come fantasy draft time.  I'm not gonna go out on an msaint-like limb and offer up some silly sigline bet, but I wouldn't be shocked if he got his act together and had a stellar season, regardless of what colors he's wearing.

1256918[/snapback]

I agree with this totally. in some drafts you might pick up Owens in the 4th or 5th or possibly even lower. I expect Owens to come into camp ready to show the world that he can be a team player and to prove it all year. then in his following year when he wants to renegotiate his contract he will freak out again. but for next year I have him high on my sleeper list (at least a sleeper considering the talent and where he will be drafted)

I have HUGH doubts about him cleaning up his act. He has honed it down to a science and there is no turning back. The guy is a slug and a detriment to any locker room he will/would grace with his awesome presence.

There are few coaches around that could take an Owens and make him viable product. All those coaches are gone or the NFLPA has castrated them. Lombari, Allen, Madden.... none of those would make it today... and that is the type of coach Owens needs. Someone to slap him upside the head and tell him to shut his pie hole.... get out there and play or go home... right from the git go.. not after he has the team in termoil.

1256933[/snapback]

Maybe Ditka could handle him!

but I wouldn't be shocked if he got his act together and had a stellar season, regardless of what colors he's wearing.

1256918[/snapback]

The key here is this statement. A stellar season not stellar seasons. Regardless of what TO attempts to do his real nature can't be suppressed for longer then 1 season. Whichever team grabs him will have 1 year before he lets loose.

If you think about it, no team will give TO a HUGE (not HUGH as this is a proper name :D ) contract beyond a 1 year incentive laden agreement. After the 1st year TO will want a longer term deal worth big bucks which he likely won't ever get again. He will do this once again and it will be strike 3 and out of football.

The Eagles botched this by making it clear he wasn't coming back. They might have had a first round pick if they could have kept everything quiet. Some team might give them a late round pick just to be able to pick him up before other teams get a shot at him, but that's about it.

The Eagles botched this :D  by making it clear he wasn't coming back.  They might have had a first round pick if they could have kept everything quiet :D .  Some team might give them a late round pick just to be able to pick him up before other teams get a shot at him, but that's about it.

1257511[/snapback]

:D:D:D

And TO & Drew didn't manipulate the situation and wouldn't have :head in sand:

He wanted released or a new contract and he was going to cause one or the other regardless of any Eagle effort to keep it quite.

The only way Owens goes somewhere else to play is if him and Rosenass finally realize that the deal will have to be small and loaded with incentives. Here's how I see it happening:

TO finds a new team (let's just say TB). TO then stays on his best behavior for one full year and therefore gets the roster bonus before the following season. Then he starts off the 2nd season on his best behavior and if the team is winning and he's getting the ball, then he's happy and he starts to make his money. If the team is tanking and/or he's not getting enough chances in his eyes to reach those incentives, then he starts pouting all over again. That will officially end his career on the field. He then replaces Shannon Sharpe on the CBS show.

The only way Owens goes somewhere else to play is if him and Rosenass finally realize that the deal will have to be small and loaded with incentives.  Here's how I see it happening:

TO finds a new team (let's just say TB).  TO then stays on his best behavior for one full year and therefore gets the roster bonus before the following season.  Then he starts off the 2nd season on his best behavior and if the team is winning and he's getting the ball, then he's happy and he starts to make his money.  If the team is tanking and/or he's not getting enough chances in his eyes to reach those incentives, then he starts pouting all over again.  That will officially end his career on the field.  He then replaces Shannon Sharpe on the CBS show.

1257585[/snapback]

Sounds good but how about he replaces Mike Irvin after Berman catches him smoking crack in the ESPN bathroom :D

It's one thing to trade a draft pick for TO: the problem is getting him to agree to a contract.

I would say TO and Rosenhaus are f**ed: If I were a GM, here is what I might offer the Eagles for TO: 4th round draft pick, and TO must agree to a contract that would be optioned on a weekly basis. I would offer him a 2 mil signing bonus.

Personally, I hope the Eagles just keep him and sit him for another year. :D