[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chad Johnson Took a Swing

Jumpin Johnies

They were trying to win a playoff game.

1258099[/snapback]

So what? There's a line you don't cross at some point, regardless of circumstances and taking a swing at the HC is probably across that line.

Suspensions/benchings happen enough at the college level come Bowl Time, even though they're 'trying to win a postseason game.

They've gotten their hits from your posting and no doubt others, but still nary a hint of it in the mainstream media. Conspiracy? Hardly. How about rumour mongering at its worst.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

confirmed by dave lapham of bengals radio,  didnt confirm the punch thrown at lewis.  but there was fireworks in the lockerroom by johnson.  while this is dissapointing i really dont think its a factor in the big picture.  heck i felt like kicking my dog when carson went down.

1258317[/snapback]

Leave the poor dog alone and kick that O lineman of the bengals for not finishing his blocks. :D

confirmed by dave lapham of bengals radio,  didnt confirm the punch thrown at lewis.  but there was fireworks in the lockerroom by johnson.  while this is dissapointing i really dont think its a factor in the big picture.  heck i felt like kicking my dog when carson went down.

1258317[/snapback]

Well if Lap says some of this is true, it is.

For those who don't know, Dave Lapham was a center for the Bengals in the late 80s and early 90s. He's now part of the homer radio game-day announcing crew. He's a shameless homer to be sure.

So what? There's a line you don't cross at some point, regardless of circumstances and taking a swing at the HC is probably across that line.

Suspensions/benchings happen enough at the college level come Bowl Time, even though they're 'trying to win a postseason game.

They've gotten their hits from your posting and no doubt others, but still nary a hint of it in the mainstream media. Conspiracy? Hardly. How about rumour mongering at its worst.

1258299[/snapback]

Please read post #77. :D

Please read post #77. :D

1258472[/snapback]

the question is if cj threw a punch at lewis - not if there were fireworks in the locker room. who cares about fireworks in a locker room - it's a locker room. i won't believe cj took a punch at lewis until i hear it from an eyewitness or cj/marvin themselves.

Edited by tonorator

I'm not sure post #77 confirms Chad Johnson throwing a punch at Marvin Lewis.

1258480[/snapback]

This is true but it does look like CJ lost control(fireworks) at halftime of the biggest game the Bengals have played in over 10 seasons. What does thyat say about him?

evidently there was a scuffle between hue jackson and chad. tj and marvin kinda jumped in the middle to break it up. i have not heard if there was punches thrown. i think this is all much ado about nothing. and the media will try to blow this out of proportion. unless your a bengals fan you cannot understand the emotional effect palmers injury had on people. i can understand why players in the locker room would do things totally out of character. im just a fan and it was one of the worst things ive felt football related in twenty years. and theres been alot to feel bad about around here in the last 15.

Edited by kevin4192

This is true but it does look like CJ lost control(fireworks) at halftime of the biggest game the Bengals have played in over 10 seasons.  What does thyat say about him?

1258583[/snapback]

it says that he recognized that he was not involved enough in the action and unless he is heavily involved, the bengals have a much lower chance of winning. kitna just did not look his way and did not give him chances to make big plays. hell, in the 3rd quarter, kitna did nothing but run around and fumble vs. give his top receivers a shot at pulling down the ball. a competitor doesn't sit still during the biggest game of the year and quietly let this pass. the best player on a team should not go quietly into the night when he is not part of the game plan. heaven forbid our football players actually have some fire in their gut ... i praise him for shooting off some fireworks to wake up a team that just died on the field. this kind of behavior is on an entirely different level vs. taking a swing at a coach.

= i praise him for shooting off some fireworks to wake up a team that just died on the field.  this kind of behavior is on an entirely different level vs. taking a swing at a coach.

1258624[/snapback]

Thi sis the dumbest thing I have yet to hear from a CJ apologist.

The Bengals were WINNING at halftime with their second string QB, and your opinion is that CJ needed to "wake up" the team? Had nothign to do with a 4th string WR catching so many passes, right?

Give me a break, they totally disapeared in the second half of that game, AFTER his wake up call, not before. So to try to spin th isincident, swin at Marv or no swing, is really lame.

Chad Johnson denies the story and says it's "ridiculous." I like Chad a lot, I hope that he's telling the truth.

Chad: Fight story 'ridiculous'

By Mark Curnutte and Paul Daugherty

Enquirer staff writers

Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson tonight held a press conference to deny an Internet story that claimed he was involved in an altercation with Bengals coaches on Sunday.

Calling the story "ridiculous," Johnson said he had nothing but respect for the fans, the media, and especially his coaches.

"There's never been a confrontation, ever, and especially with a coach," Johnson said.

Referring to injured Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer, Johnson said: "Carson's out. Now somebody's trying to put Chad out. It's not fair."

The press conference was the result of a story that was posted on the Web site profootballtalk.com. The story claimed Johnson was involved in an altercation with receivers coach Hue Jackson and head coach Marvin Lewis Sunday during halftime of the Bengals-Steelers playoff game.

Johnson said he had no idea where the story came from. Earlier today, on Lance McAlister's sports talk radio show on 1360-AM, Bengals analyst Dave Lapham said a player on the Bengals offense confirmed that a confrontation did occur at halftime between Johnson and members of the coaching staff.

Jackson did not return a message left this morning on his office phone at Paul Brown Stadium.

Earlier today, Johnson told the Enquirer: “(The story) sounds like drama. At halftime, I was getting an IV. Nothing happened. Why don’t you talk to the coaches, they’re all down there today.”

All day, the Bengals refused to comment on the story.

“We don’t comment on rumors,” Bengals public relations director Jack Brennan said.

The Bengals led 17-14 at the halftime of Sunday's game, but lost 31-17 in the wildcard game.

The Web site reported that Johnson was unhappy about the lack of passes thrown to him, three with two completions in the first half.

Johnson caught two of the three attempts in his direction in the second half to finish with four receptions for 59 yards.

In post-game interviews Sunday, defensive tackle John Thornton was among the handful of players who talked in general about the lack of cohesion and that the team concept was lost and must be regained.

Thornton, reached this morning via cell phone, said, “I can’t confirm or deny anything that happened in the locker room.”

Thornton did say Sunday that the issue did not involve rookie players.

In his post-game comments Sunday, Lewis alluded, generally, to a problem, saying, “We came in here as a football team and we need to leave out of here as a football team and understand that it's about working through the tough times. You work through the critical points in the game and do you job.”

Chad Johnson Denies Scuffle Report

Thi sis the dumbest thing I have yet to hear from a CJ apologist.

The Bengals were WINNING at halftime with their second string QB, and your opinion is that CJ  needed to "wake up" the team? Had nothign to do with a 4th string WR catching so many passes, right?

Give me a break, they totally disapeared in the second half of that game, AFTER his wake up call, not before. So to try to spin th isincident, swin at Marv or no swing, is really lame.

1258749[/snapback]

no way i believe cj is creating commotion because of concern for his individual stats in a playoff game. if he was arguing to get the ball more, i freakin' agree with him because he's the best player on the team. they didn't involve him (or even try to) in the 2nd half and they fell apart - so while he didn't succeed in waking up the team to this fact, they indeed fell apart. even my 10 year old was yelling at kitna to just throw it up and let chad bring it down.

Edited by tonorator

it says that he recognized that he was not involved enough in the action and unless he is heavily involved, the bengals have a much lower chance of winning.  kitna just did not look his way and did not give him chances to make big plays.  hell, in the 3rd quarter, kitna did nothing but run around and fumble vs. give his top receivers a shot at pulling down the ball.  a competitor doesn't sit still during the biggest game of the year and quietly let this pass.  the best player on a team should not go quietly into the night when he is not part of the game plan.  heaven forbid our football players actually have some fire in their gut ... i praise him for shooting off some fireworks to wake up a team that just died on the field.  this kind of behavior is on an entirely different level vs. taking a swing at a coach.

1258624[/snapback]

I do understand that this is being blown out of proportion UNLESS he threw a punch at Marvin. However, if this were a Steeler, I would be very disappointed if one of our Wide Receivers had an altercation with a WR coach because he wasn't getting the ball enough in a game that we were winning, in which our backup QB who was forced to action just played a close to perfect half, which Kitna did. He was awful in the 2nd half, but this happened at halftime. I know you don't want to hear it, but it sounds like Chad lost control a bit here.

P.S. Obviously, this all still sits on the fact that I still haven't seen any links

to confirmation that ANYTHING happened.

Edited by Menudo

I do understand that this is being blown out of proportion UNLESS he threw a punch at Marvin.  However, if this were a Steeler, I would be very disappointed if one of our Wide Receivers had an altercation with a WR coach because he wasn't getting the ball enough in a game that we were winning, in which our backup QB who was forced to action just played a close to perfect half, which Kitna did.  He was awful in the 2nd half, but this happened at halftime.  I know you don't want to hear it, but it sounds like Chad lost control a bit here.

P.S.  Obviously, this all still sits on the fact that I still haven't seen any links

to confirmation that ANYTHING happened.

1259362[/snapback]

i don't care if he lost control and i actually don't mind if he did. even though cincy was ahead, i believe chad knows his team and kitna and he saw what was coming. he could have handled it better if he did blow up, but this news doesn't put him in the TO category to me. i don't know if he will get there, but i haven't seen it (of course, i could be blind to it, i admit). bottom line - he should have got the ball more in the 2nd half as it sounds like he was asking for. it didn't happen, and they lost.

i don't care if he lost control and i actually don't mind if he did.  even though cincy was ahead, i believe chad knows his team and kitna and he saw what was coming.  he could have handled it better if he did blow up, but this news doesn't put him in the TO category to me.  i don't know if he will get there, but i haven't seen it (of course, i could be blind to it, i admit).  bottom line - he should have got the ball more in the 2nd half as it sounds like he was asking for.  it didn't happen, and they lost.

1260020[/snapback]

Perhaps he didn't get the ball much because Ike Taylor owned him as usual ? :D

Edited by Menudo

CJ is the MAN!! He didn't take no swing on Marvin Lewis. Hell he looks at the man like a FATHER.

Now was there a heated discussion, maybe, maybe not, none of us were there. But its a locker room, at halftime of a very intense playoff game with a divisional rival, and the team just lost its franchise QB....maybe everyone was on edge..

But I couldn't have agreed more with what CJ said...if he truly took a swing at Marvin, he would have been sat down for the second half....playoff game or not, Marv has got to keep that lockeroom in check and set an example!

Oh, and one more question for you to chew on CJ-haters:

WHERE IS THIS STORY AT ON ESPN.COM OR ANY OTHER MAINSTREAM NEWS SERVICE??

I'd just like to say to Sox, Czarina, thinkaboutit27, Pope Flick, tonorator, ced1001, et. al -- You were all wrong.

As reported earlier, Dave Lapham confirmed the locker-room scuffle the other day and, now, on ESPN, Boomer Esiason told Jim Rome that he's also spoken with people on the team who witnessed the "headlock" incident and subsequent intervention by Housh and Marvin Lewis. Both of those guys have plenty of legitimate contacts within the organization and neither has a reason to lie. Of course, nobody buy Chad Johnson knows whether he "threw a punch" or simply "flailed his arms" or if the "punch/flailing" was directed at Marvin Lewis. But that's not really the point.

Bottom line -- Profootballtalk.com's sources broke the story to PFT first and the rest of the media was too late. Now, nobody on the team will talk to ANYBODY from a major sports network. Like I said before, the only times embarrassing stories like this get reported is when anonymous sources leak the info.

If the rest of you guys don't want any information from anonymous sources, then just stick with ESPN, CBSSportsline, NFL.com, etc. I, for one, like to read all the NFL info I can possibly gather. Sure, PFT sensationalizes some of their stories, but it's not too hard to sift through the editor's (Mike Florio) opinions. Again, he's right more than he's wrong.