[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chad Johnson Took a Swing

Jumpin Johnies

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd just like to say to Sox, Czarina, thinkaboutit27, Pope Flick, tonorator, ced1001, et. al -- You were all wrong.

As reported earlier, Dave Lapham confirmed the locker-room scuffle the other day and, now, on ESPN, Boomer Esiason told Jim Rome that he's also spoken with people on the team who witnessed the "headlock" incident and subsequent intervention by Housh and Marvin Lewis. Both of those guys have plenty of legitimate contacts within the organization and neither has a reason to lie. Of course, nobody buy Chad Johnson knows whether he "threw a punch" or simply "flailed his arms"  or if the "punch/flailing" was directed at Marvin Lewis. But that's not really the point.

Bottom line -- Profootballtalk.com's sources broke the story to PFT first and the rest of the media was too late. Now, nobody on the team will talk to ANYBODY from a major sports network. Like I said before, the only times embarrassing stories like this get reported is when anonymous sources leak the info.

If the rest of you guys don't want any information from anonymous sources, then just stick with ESPN, CBSSportsline, NFL.com, etc. I, for one, like to read all the NFL info I can possibly gather. Sure, PFT sensationalizes some of their stories, but it's not too hard to sift through the editor's (Mike Florio) opinions. Again, he's right more than he's wrong.

1260817[/snapback]

Thank you

CJ is the MAN!!  blah blah blah blah blah....

Oh, and one more question for you to chew on CJ-haters:

WHERE IS THIS STORY AT ON ESPN.COM OR ANY OTHER MAINSTREAM NEWS SERVICE??

1260670[/snapback]

So... Boomer and ESPN have reported it now.

WHO DEY? WHO DEY? WHO DEY FIGHTIN IN THU LOCKER ROOM?

Wrong? Not really - I said based on their past that verification would be needed before I'd believe it. PFT has a poor track record with their "breaking stories." I am not wrong about that, and never said it didn't happen, only that I wouldn't believe it until verified.

I'm down enough with Boomer to believe it, and am interested in the fact that Lewis let it go ie, letting CJ play in the 2nd half. I'll bet he lost some respect with some players as a result.

Wrong? Not really - I said based on their past that verification would be needed before I'd believe it. PFT has a poor track record with their "breaking stories." I am not wrong about that, and never said it didn't happen, only that I wouldn't believe it until verified.

1261229[/snapback]

Hedging, but okay. Which breaking stories has PFT incorrectly reported in the past?

Hedging, but okay. Which breaking stories has PFT incorrectly reported in the past?

1261236[/snapback]

Nothing has been confirmed yet.Maybe it's true,but no confirmation yet.

There have been plenty of incorrect stories in the past by PFT,but I usually only remember the ones that relate to the Bengals,such as the report that Dillon was to be traded to the Raiders for a draft pick.

Everybody has picked up on this now,and Boomer simply commented on it.

Now if it turns out that words were exchanged,a shouting match perhaps,does this mean the story was true?Especially since it states a punch was thrown?

If a punch was thrown,then they were right.If not,then Swiss Cheesehead,I'm not the one that was wrong.

Until otherwise proven by a confirmed source,this is nothing but a rumor.

Edited by Sox

I said I'd wait and see. :D You know full well the Rumor Mill's style is to throw a bunch of things out there to see what sticks.

CJ's an emotional guy, that's no surprise. Could things have gotten out of hand, sure they could. I simply said that I'd wait for more confirmation from a site less given to the hyperbole that PFT makes its living on.

Whether it's sports or news, don't you fully expect to see a news story reported in more than one source?

Well I saw this reported on FoxSports last night, and they were talking about it on Jim Rome is Burning, so the story has a little more credibility...but here is my main question:

IF THIS IS TRUE, AND IT IS THE WHOLE STORY (WHICH I DOUBT), THEN WHY DID CJ PLAY IN THE SECOND HALF??

And dont even bother saying that it was playoff game and they wouldnt sit their best reciever, especially after their franchise QB was out. BULL!! Marv has to keep control of that team first and foremost, and he cant do that if players are taking "wild swings" at him. Also if CJ had his WR coach in a headlock. Thats crossing the line. But I wonder if we know the "whole story".

Here is another possible scenario.

1. Say Chad was upset (he just lost his franchise QB).

2. Say he was also frustrated that he wasn't getting enough balls thrown to him. Show me a wide reciever that doesnt think that!! Every wide reciever out there (including the ALL MIGHTY HINES WARD!!) thinks the team would be better off if they got him the ball more. Honestly, I dont want a reciever on my team that doesnt think that!!

3. Chad pops off in frustration to the WR coach, and the WR coach SHOVES HIM. Then I'm not sure I blame CJ for getting upset enough to put his WR coach in a headlock.

4. TJ and Marv come over and try to break it up, and a "wild swing" goes in Marv's direction (maybe CJ didnt even know who it was behind him).

I would love to hear the WHOLE STORY. If its true, and the story has been COMPLETELY reported to us, then I will agree, CJ is a punk.

I will admit, I will give the guy every benefit of the doubt that I can, because I think his act is GREAT.

But I will say it again....IF THIS IS 100% TRUE, WHY WAS HE OUT THERE IN THE 2ND HALF?? I DARE SOMEONE TO GIVE ME A GOOD ANSWER TO THAT!!

Well I saw this reported on FoxSports last night, and they were talking about it on Jim Rome is Burning, so the story has a little more credibility...but here is my main question:

IF THIS IS TRUE, AND IT IS THE WHOLE STORY (WHICH I DOUBT), THEN WHY DID CJ PLAY IN THE SECOND HALF??

And dont even bother saying that it was playoff game and they wouldnt sit their best reciever, especially after their franchise QB was out.  BULL!!  Marv has to keep control of that team first and foremost, and he cant do that if players are taking "wild swings" at him.  Also if CJ had his WR coach in a headlock.  Thats crossing the line.  But I wonder if we know the "whole story".

Here is another possible scenario. 

1. Say Chad was upset (he just lost his franchise QB). 

2.  Say he was also frustrated that he wasn't getting enough balls thrown to him.  Show me a wide reciever that doesnt think that!!  Every wide reciever out there (including the ALL MIGHTY HINES WARD!!) thinks the team would be better off if they got him the ball more.  Honestly, I dont want a reciever on my team that doesnt think that!!

3.  Chad pops off in frustration to the WR coach, and the WR coach SHOVES HIM.  Then I'm not sure I blame CJ for getting upset enough to put his WR coach in a headlock.

4.  TJ and Marv come over and try to break it up, and a "wild swing" goes in Marv's direction (maybe CJ didnt even know who it was behind him).

I would love to hear the WHOLE STORY.  If its true, and the story has been COMPLETELY reported to us, then I will agree, CJ is a punk.

I will admit, I will give the guy every benefit of the doubt that I can, because I think his act is GREAT. 

But I will say it again....IF THIS IS 100% TRUE, WHY WAS HE OUT THERE IN THE 2ND HALF??  I DARE SOMEONE TO GIVE ME A GOOD ANSWER TO THAT!!

1261766[/snapback]

Why are you still talking about this ? Bengals fans have already said that:

1. Steeler fans are the ones worried about this.

2. This is over and should not be ever spoken of again.

Did you not get that memo ?

Their column is called "The Daily RUMOR Mill."

Not The Daily Verified Story Summary, much less using the wors "news."

1261280[/snapback]

Yeah, and all the unverified "rumors" are labeled as such. Florio ALWAYS prefaces speculation by telling the reader it's nothing more than speculation. Usually, those kinds of stories are guesses at what might happen in the future.

However, whenever PFT reports on something that already happened, I've never found them to print lies. You haven't either.

See the difference?

Why are you still talking about this  ?  Bengals fans have already said that:

1.  Steeler fans are the ones worried about this.

2.  This is over and should not be ever spoken of again.

1261781[/snapback]

Because I'm not a Bengal fan, I'm a CJ fan. I live in America, where a man is "innocent until proven guilty". I am simply defending CJ.

I still havent gotten a good answer to my question....WHY WAS HE OUT THERE IN THE SECOND HALF???

I said I'd wait and see. :D You know full well the Rumor Mill's style is to throw a bunch of things out there to see what sticks.

CJ's an emotional guy, that's no surprise. Could things have gotten out of hand, sure they could. I simply said that I'd wait for more confirmation from a site less given to the hyperbole that PFT makes its living on.

Whether it's sports or news, don't you fully expect to see a news story reported in more than one source?

1261308[/snapback]

Well, to be fair, Czar, you didn't sound as pretentious and condescending as some others who criticized PFT, but you did say "I'll need to see that from a reputable source, which PFT certainly is not". Like you probably gather, I just don't understand why people are treating PFT like some gossip rag that purposely prints falsehoods.

However, I agree that, for the most part, I DO expect to see a news story reported by more than one source. In this case, though, the reporting -- or lack thereof -- isn't surprising.

I guess the point of me calling out all of the people who trashed PFT was to let everyone ELSE know that it's not just a silly, unethical "National Enquirer of the NFL". Florio puts a lot of work into the site, he has a lot of legit NFL sources, and IT'S FREE. He's made a point to provide similar (mostly better) inside information on the NFL than ESPN Insider/PFW/etc. at no cost. I respect that.

Why are you still talking about this  ?  Bengals fans have already said that:

1.  Steeler fans are the ones worried about this.

2.  This is over and should not be ever spoken of again.

1261781[/snapback]

Really, Menudo, you're capable of so much more than this absoutley incomprehensible self-pity when your team is playing for a spot in the AFC championship.

Doggy said days ago that Dave Lapham said his sources told him something happened. That's good enough for Bengals fans to believe something happened in the locker room. The Bengals have apparently clamped down on information, though, so it's likely we'll never know the details.

It's a non-story, though. If anything, for the first time in 15 years, Bengals players actually cared about something enough to get pissed off. That's an amazing turnaround for this franchise.

From Paul Daugherty's column this morning:

Johnson didn't call his own press conference Tuesday night just because he wanted to deny what had been written; he already had done that. He called it partly because he wanted everyone to believe he was still a Good Guy.

And he is, basically. But it is time for him to grow up.

Johnson concedes he needs to tame his passion. He also wonders how that might affect the way he plays. Johnson knows there is a line he must walk.

"How do you do that? I don't know. It would almost be like not caring. If you love this game the way I love it, that's why I'm so emotional," Johnson said early Wednesday, in his condominium. "I guess that's something I can work on, (to) channel my energies somewhere else when things aren't going the right way.

"But, you know, other than the Jacksonville game, I was not emotional the entire year."

Johnson had five catches for 52 yards and a touchdown in the Bengals' 23-20 loss to the Jaguars Oct. 9, after which he claimed Palmer didn't look his way enough.

As for his contract, and the notion he might ask to renegotiate his current deal that runs through 2009, Johnson said he's not interested.

"Is there a reason I should ask for more money? I've never said a word about money. Why would it be an issue?" he asked.

"How do you compare Chad Johnson and T.O. personally? You can't. We're not alike at all. Everybody knows that."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...120326/1082/SPT

I guess the point of me calling out all of the people who trashed PFT was to let everyone ELSE know that it's not just a silly, unethical "National Enquirer of the NFL". Florio puts a lot of work into the site, he has a lot of legit NFL sources, and IT'S FREE. He's made a point to provide similar (mostly better) inside information on the NFL than ESPN Insider/PFW/etc. at no cost. I respect that.

1261795[/snapback]

so florio is married to your sister ... got it.

WHY WAS HE OUT THERE IN THE SECOND HALF???

1261789[/snapback]

They were trying to win a playoff game. Chris Henry was already out for the game and Kelly Washington was de-activated. Name the other recievers other than TJ that would've helped them win the game.

Because I'm not a Bengal fan, I'm a CJ fan.  I live in America, where a man is "innocent until proven guilty".  I am simply defending CJ.

I still havent gotten a good answer to my question....WHY WAS HE OUT THERE IN THE SECOND HALF???

1261789[/snapback]

That's an answer Bengal fans should ask his coach, not people comenting on this.

They were trying to win a playoff game.  Chris Henry was already out for the game and Kelly Washington was de-activated.  Name the other recievers other than TJ that would've helped them win the game.

1261878[/snapback]

I don't accept that....

Playoff game or not, shortage or WR's or not, Marv HAS to keep that locker room's respect...he knows that...no way he plays the second half if this truly went down the way its being reported...