[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Boy will the Vikings blow!

Guest Sores

New offensive coordinator not so great....Darrel Fricken Bevell

1261183[/snapback]

What do you mean? He's had a couple years studying the WCO under the genius of Tom Rossley :D

Seriously, how does a guy go from quality control to qb coach to OC so fast? Maybe he'll prove us all wrong, but this certainly is a gamble.

Mike Tomlin will turn around that Defense.  Mark my words...

1261530[/snapback]

I love when people on this board (especially those with sub-375 posts) say something like "Mark my words...". I just picture the "Huddle-nation" scrambling to their calendars to mark down the day that Jolly Rodgers made a prediction about a defensive coordinator.

I wrote it in pen. :D

I love when people on this board (especially those with sub-375 posts) say something like "Mark my words...".  I just picture the "Huddle-nation" scrambling to their calendars to mark down the day that Jolly Rodgers made a prediction about a defensive coordinator. 

I wrote it in pen.  :D

1261747[/snapback]

I got it in invisible ink. :D

What do you mean?  He's had a couple years studying the WCO under the genius of Tom Rossley  :D

Seriously, how does a guy go from quality control to qb coach to OC so fast?  Maybe he'll prove us all wrong, but this certainly is a gamble.

1261712[/snapback]

It took Jon Gruden 9 years to become an Offensive Coordinator

In his first four seasons in the coaching profession from 1986-1989, Gruden was an assistant at the University of Tennessee

Gruden was an offensive assistant to head coach George Seifert with the San Francisco 49ers in 1990

Gruden spent the 1991 football season in the college ranks as wide receivers coach at the University of Pittsburgh

Gruden worked for three seasons with the Green Bay Packers from 1992-94. He served as an offensive assistant to Packers head coach Mike Holmgren in 1992, then spent the 1993 and 1994 seasons as Green Bay’s receivers coach.

In Gruden’s first season as an NFL offensive coordinator in 1995, the Eagles finished fourth in the entire league in rushing.

86-89: Offensive assistant

90: offensive assistant

91: receivers coach

92-94: Offensive assistant/receivers coach

95: Offensive coordinator

Now lets look at Bevell:

Bevell began coaching at Westmar University before moving to Iowa State and Connecticut. He started with the Packers in 2000 under Mike Sherman working as an offensive assistant/quality control. He was promoted to offensive assistant in 2002 and then to quarterbacks coach in 2003.

1996 Westmar University

1997 Iowa State

1998-99 Connecticut

2000-05 Green Bay Packers

Not as much NFL experience as Gruden, but he has been coaching for 9 years also.

Yesterday someone (Az?) put Carmelo Anthoney in the same sentence with Sidney Moncrief. This is almost as bad. Bevell has a long way to go before he can consider sniffing Gruden's jockstap.

Yesterday someone (Az?) put Carmelo Anthoney in the same sentence with Sidney Moncrief.  This is almost as bad.  Bevell has a long way to go before he can consider sniffing Gruden's jockstap.

1262214[/snapback]

:D It was indeed Az.

Yesterday someone (Az?) put Carmelo Anthoney in the same sentence with Sidney Moncrief.  This is almost as bad.  Bevell has a long way to go before he can consider sniffing Gruden's jockstap.

1262214[/snapback]

I am not comparing the whole career. I simply stated that Grunden got an offensive coordinator job after 9 years of coaching and the same as Bevell. The original poster stated that he was surprised that he got an OC job so quickly. I was just comparing those stats.

I am not comparing the whole career. I simply stated that Grunden got an offensive coordinator job after 9 years of coaching and the same as Bevell. The original poster stated that he was surprised that he got an OC job so quickly. I was just comparing those stats.

1262594[/snapback]

Yeah but I remember there being some buzz about Gruden being a fast riser in the coaching ranks before he made that jump. This Bevell hiring came out of nowhere. I'm sure a lot of people around the league are asking "Who?".

I missed the UW connection though. Bevell played under Childress there. I guess with that familiarity it makes a little more sense.

Yeah but I remember there being some buzz about Gruden being a fast riser in the coaching ranks before he made that jump.  This Bevell hiring came out of nowhere.  I'm sure a lot of people around the league are asking "Who?". 

I missed the UW connection though.  Bevell played under Childress there.  I guess with that familiarity it makes a little more sense.

1262628[/snapback]

I didn't know who he was either. Will have to wait and see what his responsiblities are and what kind of personility he brings to the team. Its kind of hard to judge him until you see what he brings to the table.

:D yeah - he still looks the same. They were joking on the radio that he probably still gets carded at the bar.

Here is what the coach said about him.

“He knows the basis of this system, he knows how to teach it, he knows the coaching points, he’s seen it first hand, he knows what the pitfalls of it are, so he knows it forwards and backwards,” Childress said. “I know this, he will say it exactly the way I want it said. Which I think is important, that you speak with one voice, that there’s no margin for error. I think that’s very important as you go forward that everyone knows exactly and is saying exactly the same things.”

Childress is going to be the brain child of this offense just like Reid is in Philly.

I love when people on this board (especially those with sub-375 posts) say something like "Mark my words...".  I just picture the "Huddle-nation" scrambling to their calendars to mark down the day that Jolly Rodgers made a prediction about a defensive coordinator. 

I wrote it in pen.  :D

1261747[/snapback]

Yeah, because the number of posts you have is a direct reflection of your football knowledge. :D

Seriously, I agree with you that it's a funny phrase when you stop and think about it, but I really doubt it's any different whether the poster has 1 post or 20,000. I don't think anybody is going to scramble for their pen and notepad no matter who uses the phrase.

Yeah, because the number of posts you have is a direct reflection of your football knowledge. :D

No, not necessarily, but after considerable posting, those that pay attention know whether the writer is at all credible or not.

Seriously, I agree with you that it's a funny phrase when you stop and think about it, but I really doubt it's any different whether the poster has 1 post or 20,000.  I don't think anybody is going to scramble for their pen and notepad no matter who uses the phrase.

1262897[/snapback]

You would be surprised. When someone talks trash around here and has a decent rep, you can rest assured that someone else around here is going to remind them about what they said and grind them if they get it wrong! :D