[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mularkey resigning?

heydave76

NFL Live says he is currently in closed door meeting talking about resigning his position.

1262501[/snapback]

If the door is closed, how do they know what is being discussed ? :D

Obviously future HOF'er as a player...

Originally a 1983 ninth-round draft choice of the San Francisco 49ers, Mularkey was waived prior to the season and was picked up by the Minnesota Vikings where he played tight end from 1983-88. He joined the Pittsburgh Steelers as a Plan B free agent and played with Pittsburgh from 1989-91. Over the course of his career, Mularkey tallied 102 receptions for 1,222 yards and nine touchdowns.

Posted by: Ed Kilgore, WGRZ Sports Director reports that the Bills have called an 11 am news conference on Friday, where it's expected it will be announced that Mike Mularkey has resigned as head coach.

Haslett is on Buffalo's very short list as replacements. I'm sure that Haslett would rather go to Buffalo rather than Detroit.

Also, it won't be Levy, though I suspect that he will do a fair amount of mentoring whoever they do hire.

Levy is not going to be an 80-year old HC but he will have that "Bill Walsh" type of oversight/impact. The Bills have already fired nine assistant coaches, the road is already paved for Mularkey to leave. They were stripping the entire staff around him, I don't blame him.

long as a first year coach does not make the playoffs - and they rarely do - that means the other 22 teams have better than a 50% chance of making the playoffs. Less so perhaps for the divisions with no change but CHI should be a shoe-in next year.

Looking at the Bills...

QB: First round selection JP Losman

RB: First round, highly touted selection Willis McGahee

WR: First round selections Lee Evans and Eric Moulds, backed up by high second round selections Josh Reed and Roscoe Parrish

TE: Fourth Round selection Tim Euhus

OL: Top 5 pick Mike Williams

And a defense that was supposed to be among the league's elite. I am not surprised the owner is trying to shake the rats out of his organization. Mularkey had the talent available.

Looking at the Bills...

QB: First round selection JP Losman

RB: First round, highly touted selection Willis McGahee

WR: First round selections Lee Evans and Eric Moulds, backed up by high second round selections Josh Reed and Roscoe Parrish

TE: Fourth Round selection Tim Euhus

OL: Top 5 pick Mike Williams

And a defense that was supposed to be among the league's elite.  I am not surprised the owner is trying to shake the rats out of his organization. Mularkey had the talent available.

1263420[/snapback]

Losman is not ready. He may never be ready.

I don't blame Mularkey at all. Hiring Marv Levy as the GM may be a huge mistake.

Per the local media:

Possible Replacements

Jim Haslett -- Former Bills player, recently fired as the head coach of the Saints

Ted Cottrell -- Former Bills defense coordinator, Levy has hired him twice

Wade Phillips -- Former Bills head coach, had bad parting with Wilson, but could be a possibility.

Steve Mariucci -- Fired by Detroit

Mike Sherman -- Fired by Green Bay

Jerry Gray -- Bills defense coordinator, previously interviewed for job.

There is a report on WEEI in Boston, Fred Smirlas is on, that his connections have told him that Marv Levy will take over as head coach.

Edit: Smirlas isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, so take this for what it's worth.

Edited by charty