[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colts respond to Porter

kpholmes

Didn't see this posted anywhere yet, and would more just like to point out the class and poise this Colts team has towards critisism, rather than make another Bash on Joey Porter thread.

Colts won't trade barbs with Porter

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Joey Porter can talk all he wants, but the Indianapolis Colts aren't about to get into a shouting match with the Pittsburgh linebacker.

On Wednesday, Porter criticized the Colts for playing "soft" in their first meeting this season and challenged them to play smash-mouth football in Sunday's divisional playoff game.

Porter was highly critical of Indy because he apparently feels Indy tries to outthink its opponents rather than adopt a more physical style of play — like Pittsburgh's.

On Thursday, Colts players responded quietly, letting the usually stoic Tony Dungy handle it.

"I'm going to have to go back and watch the tape again after what Joey Porter said because I guess I didn't see it the same way he did," Dungy said Thursday as he held a yellow videotape in his hand. "But I don't think you can beat Pittsburgh without being a tough team."

These are curious comments when you consider that the Colts recorded a 26-7 victory over the Steelers at the RCA Dome on Nov. 28. And as the Post-Gazette points out, many Colts players felt afterwards that they had beaten the Steelers at their own game.

But Porter enjoys jousting with opponents.

In 2004, he was actually ejected before a game against Cleveland when he and Browns running back William Green started throwing punches in warmups.

When the Steelers visited Indy in November, Porter apparently taunted Colts players in warmups, too - something the Colts later cited as motivation in their rout.

This time, Porter started sparring even earlier. He criticized the Colts for relying on trickery to win games rather than slugging it out and called Edgerrin James' 124-yard performance in November a "cheap 100." It was the first time the Steelers allowed a runner to top 100 yards in 23 games.

"They don't want to just sit there, line up and play football," Porter told The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "They want to try to catch you off guard. They don't want to play smash-mouth football, they want to trick you. ... They want to catch you substituting. Know what I mean? They don't want to just call a play, get up there and run a play. They want to make you think. They want it to be a thinking game instead of a football game."

If Porter was hoping to trade barbs over the next few days, the Colts (14-2) weren't interested.

Most players said Porter was entitled to his opinion. Judging by their body language and facial expressions, though, it was clear they disagreed with Porter's view.

"Coach Dungy's thing is always to focus on the reality rather than the perception," left tackle Tarik Glenn said, smiling. "When we're on the field, we're who we are and we're going to go out and play our game."

The quiet approach helped the Colts set a franchise record for wins, finish with most points scored (439) and fewest allowed (247) in the AFC and gave them home-field advantage through the playoffs.

And they're not about to change now.

"We're not going to run uphill or throw when teams double cover us," Dungy said. "We try to take the path of least resistance."

Porter may not find many supporters in the RCA Dome, either.

Colts officials have asked ticket holders to avoid selling tickets to Steelers fans, regardless of the price, hoping that the blue-and-white clad crowd will make enough noise to cause problems for Pittsburgh again.

Indy fans were already upset because of accusations that artificial noise was being piped into the RCA Dome in November. NFL spokesman Steve Alic said then that the NFL never investigated.

But even the lopsided score, botched assignments and litany of Steelers penalties couldn't convince Porter the Colts were tough enough.

"If they would have outhit us, they would have just lined up, and they wouldn't have done all the audibles every play," he said. "If you want to outhit us, line up and play football. ... Line up, you get your people, we got our eight men in the box, run the ball."

All-Pro safety Bob Sanders said Porter's comments were of little concern. Glenn said all teams use different philosophies, and defensive tackle Larry Tripplett said he'd rather play than talk.

"Porter does a lot of talking, that's his game," All-Pro defensive end Dwight Freeney said. "He loves it."

So the Colts are content to let Porter keep yapping as long as they get the job done Sunday.

"I have had my guys say what's on their mind before, and I encourage them to do that," Dungy said. "That's what Joey Porter does - a lot - and that's not necessarily a bad thing. But I don't think it necessarily has much bearing on the game. I think there was some talking going on about 15 minutes before the last game and it didn't have much bearing on that game."

Can be found at http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5240798

I don't think Porter really thought this one through. I mean, if Indy is 'soft', then PITT was demolished on that Monday Night game by a 'soft' team. It like telling someone that they hit like a girl after you just got your hindquarter kicked by them. I remember when the Broncos called the Colts 'soft' two years ago before their playoff game. We all know what happened in that one.

I don't think Porter really thought this one through.  I mean, if Indy is 'soft', then PITT was demolished on that Monday Night game by a 'soft' team.  It like telling someone that they hit like a girl after you just got your hindquarter kicked by them.  I remember when the Broncos called the Colts 'soft' two years ago before their playoff game.  We all know what happened in that one.

1263740[/snapback]

Actually that was last year, but, you're right. I'm glad Porter opened his mouth. He has a history of not backing it up.

Actually that was last year, but, you're right.  I'm glad Porter opened his mouth.  He has a history of not backing it up.

1263743[/snapback]

He is a jacka$$, but he is a very solid player and often backs it up, so I'm not sure about the "history of not baking it up"

Porter's mouth drives me crazy but really I think he is just trying to get the Colt's a little of off their game. You know, the game that works very well, and a little more into the beat you up kind of game. There is no doubt that the Steelers are a very phyiscal team and would love to get a team like the Colts to play their game.

BTW - COLTS stands for:

Could

Only

Lose

To

Steelers

No doubt, Porter is a jacka$$. Sometimes he does back up what he says...but I doubt he will THIS weekend.

1263761[/snapback]

why? will the colts have some forcefield surrounding porter that he cant make a play? if it were up to the fans and media, there shouldnt even be a game.. every team should just hand the super bowl trophy to the colts and beg for mercy. that motivation right there means more for the steelers than porter's talk does to the colts.. if anything porter is motivating his teammates to back it up. they know how bad the bengals looked after we "edited" their stupid chant.

why?  will the colts have some forcefield surrounding porter that he cant make a play?  if it were up to the fans and media, there shouldnt even be a game..  every team should just hand the super bowl trophy to the colts and beg for mercy.  that motivation right there means more for the steelers than porter's talk does to the colts..  if anything porter is motivating his teammates to back it up.  they know how bad the bengals looked after we "edited" their stupid chant.

1264059[/snapback]

Yeah, the Steelers beat a team that has a mediocre defense and that had lost its starting QB on the first play. Bra-fricking-vo. How good were the Steelers when Tommy Maddox was under center :D

There's a reason the Colts are 9.5 favorites, THEY ARE GOING TO WIN. All the loud mouthed "motivation" in the world will not change that.

Yeah, the Steelers beat a team that has a mediocre defense and that had lost its starting QB on the first play. Bra-fricking-vo. How good were the Steelers when Tommy Maddox was under center  :D

There's a reason the Colts are 9.5 favorites, THEY ARE GOING TO WIN. All the loud mouthed "motivation" in the world will not change that.

1264087[/snapback]

Are you a Browns fan ? :D