[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Which is the best coaching tree?

Goopster24

Lots of talk lately about the coaching trees out there with all these young coaches getting jobs such as Eric Mangini and Sean Payton. I'm curious to find out what the veteran fans on these forums think about this question: Which coaching tree is the more impressive one, Walsh or Parcells? You can sorta divide it up into Holmgren and/or Belichick.

Walsh has the following:

Mike Holmgren

Jon Gruden

Mike Sherman

Steve Mariucci

Andy Reid

Edit: Dennis Green

Edit: Brian Billick

Edit: Marty Mornhinweg

There are more, help?

Parcells has the following:

Bill Belichick

Chris Palmer

Al Groh

Ray Handley

Romeo Crennel

Charlie Weis

Sean Payton

Eric Mangini

There is also Tom Landry I believe, with Mike Ditka and Dan Reeves I believe.

I'll post my opinion after some others.

Edited by Goopster24

And don't forget Paul Brown above Bill Walsh.

1274090[/snapback]

Yes!

Bill Walsh expected to take over the Bengals after PB retired, but PB "rewarded" Tiger Johnson's many years of loyalty instead (the Brown family is very loyal, even to the detriment of the team).

So if Bill Walsh had been the Bengals coach from the late 70's on...............

Didn't Nick Saban fall off the Parcells tree?

Regardless, I think the Walsh tree is better. Two Superbowl winners, and just better coaches overall IMO. Outside of Belichick, no one from the Parcells tree has won anything. (Unless I'm right about Saban, in which case you can throw an NCAA title in there too.)

Regardless, I think the Walsh tree is better.  Two Superbowl winners...

1274296[/snapback]

Erm, Seifert, Holmgren, and Shanahan make that 3 SB winning coaches and 4 SB titles, not to mention Reid's current success.

Though personally, I would only count people in a "tree" if they coached directly under said coach. Reid is a Holmgren guy, who has an impressive tree of his own if you use that criteria.

Erm, Seifert, Holmgren, and Shanahan make that 3 SB winning coaches and 4 SB titles, not to mention Reid's current success.

Though personally, I would only count people in a "tree" if they coached directly under said coach. Reid is a Holmgren guy, who has an impressive tree of his own if you use that criteria.

1274345[/snapback]

eh, sort of. i don't think it's so cut-and-dried. if they're carrying on the same system, i think a guy can be 2, 3 4 generations away and still be considered progeny. but if the lineage to walsh goes through siefert or something (a defensive coach), then it's a little more tenuous.

Didn't Nick Saban fall off the Parcells tree?

Regardless, I think the Walsh tree is better.  Two Superbowl winners, and just better coaches overall IMO.  Outside of Belichick, no one from the Parcells tree has won anything. (Unless I'm right about Saban, in which case you can throw an NCAA title in there too.)

1274296[/snapback]

"Saban is hard to pin down, but the Parcells tree is where he fits best, having spent four years with Belichick in Cleveland. Saban got his NFL start from Jerry Glanville in Houston in the late 1980s."

Parcells to Belichick to Saban. OK so he's a twig off a branch.

You can add Tom Coughlin & Nick Saban to the Parcells tree.

Marty Scottenheimer has a decent tree too

Dom Capers

Bill Cowher

Jack Del Rio

Tony Dungy

Herm Edwards

Jim Haslett

Marvin Lewis

Mike Mularky

Lovie Smith

1274060[/snapback]

Jack Del Rio: