[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pittsburgh RB's in 2006

Copeman

Yeah, I know, a little early to talk about, but with all the SB threads right now, I want to read something else.

Lets discuss the Steeler backfield for 2006. Bettis almost surely will be gone, freeing up roughly 5 million, and Staley may be gone as well. I don't know how much he makes.

Do they bring a big name FA in? Do they let Parker carry the load with Haynes as backup? What do they do? What would you like to see them do?

I'm going from memory here... but I don't think Bettis makes anywhere near 5 million.... he restructured his contract several times in order to stay with Pittsburgh... and win a championship :D

1284285[/snapback]

Even in a limited role Staley tends to get hurt. I am not sure he is the long term solution for the Steelers. I look for them to look at free agency and alos draft a back in the mid rounds.

That is not to say that Parker won't start, he probably will but I think Cowher will want a big bruiser like Bettis.

Wille got himself a sneaky 1200 yds, I think that warrents a starting spot for next year. Parker can break some long runs, but he really needs to get patient with his blocks. I don't think his vision is good either, too many stuffed runs. So I wouldn't be surprised if they draft a rookie in the second day.

I wouldn't count Bus out for next year if they lose the Super Bowl. He's their best back and they use him right by limiting him. If they win, I think he goes out on top... Hall of Fame locked up.

Staley's durability is in question, he's going into his 3rd year of his 5 yr contract. His base salary is probably starting to escalate a little bit too high. Might be a cap casualty with RBs being plentiful as of late. Either way, I doubt he sees the 4th or 5th years... he's not the future.

Parker starts, but PIT runs too much for his to carry the load. I think they retain Haynes who's a FA. Haynes has been with the organization for 3 years. His weight is in the 220 range, he might be a goalline option.

I believe that Bettis will retire regardless of whether the Steelers win or lose the Super Bowl. I also will be surprised, not shocked, but surprised if the Steelers retain Staley. I'm not sure of his cap number, but no that it increases next year. I think he is let go. I believe that Willie Parker is brought in as the starter, but with a short leash. Haynes will be brough in, with a larger role. I think the Steelers keep their eyes open in Free Agency for someone to compete with Parker, or a big back to fill the Bettis role. If they don't get either, I think it is one of their 'need' areas on draft day, and they take a RB in one of the 1st 3 rounds. There is my $.02

I believe that Bettis will retire regardless of whether the Steelers win or lose the Super Bowl.  I also will be surprised, not shocked, but surprised if the Steelers retain Staley.  I'm not sure of his cap number, but no that it increases next year.  I think he is let go.  I believe that Willie Parker is brought in as the starter, but with a short leash.  Haynes will be brough in, with a larger role.  I think the Steelers keep their eyes open in Free Agency for someone to compete with Parker, or a big back to fill the Bettis role.  If they don't get either, I think it is one of their 'need' areas on draft day, and they take a RB in one of the 1st 3 rounds.  There is my $.02

1284567[/snapback]

Yes, Bettis is gone. Next year, Staley and Parker will split carries, and Haynes will continue to be the 3rd down back. The Steelers may address the RB situation in the draft, but not until the 3rd round at least. My guess is that they'll sign a free agent somewhere along the line to compete for a backup role. I'm not sure why your down on Parker (other than his tendency to fumble), but I think he did well in his first year as a starter. He did get a 1000 rush yards, you know. I think he needs to be utilized more as a receiver, because he can break a long one at any time.

In other words, Don't fix something that isn't broke. :D

Yes, Bettis is gone.  Next year, Staley and Parker will split carries, and Haynes will continue to be the 3rd down back.  The Steelers may address the RB situation in the draft, but not until the 3rd round at least.  My guess is that they'll sign a free agent somewhere along the line to compete for a backup role.  I'm not sure why your down on Parker (other than his tendency to fumble), but I think he did well in his first year as a starter.  He did get a 1000 rush yards, you know.  I think he needs to be utilized more as a receiver, because he can break a long one at any time. 

In other words, Don't fix something that isn't broke. :D

1284575[/snapback]

Not sure why you think I am down on Parker based on what I wrote. I like Parker, think there is tons of potential there. I think the job will be his, but most Steelers are on a short leash until they completely solidify their spot, and I like it that way.

Bettis is gone to be sure.

I cannot image Staley will be back since he will be 31 years old next year and regardless if he has anything left in the tank, his wheels keep falling off anyway. If he does remain, which would surprise me, it would be in a minor role.

Parker at least needs a complementary back since he is only about 210 pounds and is much faster than he is bruising. Parker had most of his good games this year against sub-standard defenses (TEN, HOU, CLE, DET) but he makes a nice part of a package when someone else can take the tougher runs. PIT has never used just one back for many years now so I would expect a FA to come in if not also a rookie drafted.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them active in the free agent market trying to get Chester Taylor or perhaps into the Priest Holmes sweepstakes. They dont' seem the type to go after Ricky or Jamal Lewis, but I think they'll do something to get a big back, they're the freakin Steelers.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them active in the free agent market trying to get Chester Taylor or perhaps into the Priest Holmes sweepstakes.  They dont' seem the type to go after Ricky or Jamal Lewis, but I think they'll do something to get a big back, they're the freakin Steelers.

1284632[/snapback]

Priest.....No, not a good fit at this pont in his career.

I would LOVE Chester Talor

I would LOVE Ricky Williams, but, the cost might be too large. Though there might be a personality issue there, Ricky didn't cause many problems last season.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them active in the free agent market trying to get Chester Taylor or perhaps into the Priest Holmes sweepstakes.  They dont' seem the type to go after Ricky or Jamal Lewis, but I think they'll do something to get a big back, they're the freakin Steelers.

1284632[/snapback]

Maybe they'll get in the Shaun Alexander sweepstakes :D

Priest.....No, not a good fit at this pont in his career.

I would LOVE Chester Talor

I would LOVE Ricky Williams, but, the cost might be too large.  Though there might be a personality issue there, Ricky didn't cause many problems last season.

1284635[/snapback]

Ricky Pothead Williams??? :D

Rooney would never step that low. The Rooney family is still embarrassed over Bam Morris. Williams will never be in a Steelers uniform.

Good replies, all. I think C. Taylor would fit well, and of course I am sure we'll all hear the yearly rumor of Duckett coming to the Burgh. I think they need to do something. I like Parker, but do not think he's capable of that many carries. I think the Steelers will throw a bit more next year, but it's the Steelers, they will still run more than most every team. Parker will get worn down. Haynes has been with them for a while, but he is not tested as an every-down back. This is the one position they must solidify going into next season, every other psoition will remain virtually the same as this past year. They will need a back who they know is capable of carrying the load during the season. The running game is THE most important facet of the Steeler game. I think they go after a big name via FA. It's the Steelers, the run game is as important to them as the passing game of the Colts. It is their bread and butter, and they know in order to keep this team going in the direction they are going, they will need a big time back who they feel comfortable with to carry the load. I don't think Parker can do it for the whole year. And for them to even hope he could, would be nuts IMO. I like Parker, but they're gonna need another big back.