[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question for DMD...how does this lawsuit

Pope Flick

It's a fantasy baseball lawsuit, but I'd be surprised if it's implcations didn't effect us......

---------------

January 23, 2006

Just when fans are getting used to the idea of paying hundreds of dollars

for a baseball player's autograph, a legal fight has erupted over whether

Major League Baseball can sell his batting average.

A company that runs fantasy baseball leagues has filed a federal lawsuit,

arguing that it doesn't need a license from MLB to use players' statistics

on its Internet sites. The numbers are historical facts that can be used

freely by anyone, the suit argues, not property that can be sold.

MLB says player stats are intellectual property and can't be used for

profit without permission--an argument that seems unlikely to prevail but

certain to provoke fans.

Courts have long held that facts are in the public domain. And what is a

statistic if not a fact? The numbers, which are available for free in the

daily sports pages, are no more "intellectual property" than the

temperatures that appear on the weather page.

Player statistics are the lifeblood of fantasy sports, in which imaginary

teams drafted from major league rosters compete against each other based

on the real-life players' day-to-day performance.

Individual players' daily statistics determine which team wins and help

fantasy team "managers" decide which players to draft, trade or play.

Fantasy leagues have been around for about 25 years, but big money wasn't

a part of the picture until the Internet came along.

Early team managers tended to be dedicated sportsgeeks who crunched the

numbers themselves on pocket calculators. Today, the information is

collected and processed almost instantly by computers. Most Web sites

charge an entry fee, plus extra for player trades and other transactions,

and offer prizes--some in the five- and even six-digit range.

With about 150 Web sites and an estimated 10 million players in the U.S.,

fantasy baseball has become a multimillion-dollar industry.

Last year, MLB bought the rights to the statistics from the Major League

Players' Association and set new rules--and prices--for licenses. That

prompted CBC Distribution and Marketing, which runs several big fantasy

sites, to sue, claiming it didn't need a license in the first place. The

case heads to court in July, right after the All-Star break.

Among the many unknowns is exactly what this means to fans, but one thing

is certain: It's bad PR.

Major League Baseball has every right to make money off its property--and

it does so with ticket sales, TV revenue, beer and hot dogs. But it risks

alienating millions of fans by saying: hands off our stats.

There are still quite a few for whom every $15 million player contract,

every $3 hotdog, even the slightest suggestion of a new tax-subsidized

stadium, is enough to trigger that old grudge they've been nursing since

the 1994 players' strike. Trying to cash in on Joe Laptop's pretend

baseball season isn't going to sit well with them. Win or lose, this is a

fight MLB can't afford.

This lawsuit is almost certain to go down in flames, IMO. There are a million precedents to this of statistics being facts and facts being public domain.

It's the one coming later, concerning the use of player's names, that will be a much bigger and more problematic issue.

This lawsuit is almost certain to go down in flames, IMO.  There are a million precedents to this of statistics being facts and facts being public domain.

It's the one coming later, concerning the use of player's names, that will be a much bigger and more problematic issue.

1301456[/snapback]

LOL. Can't use thier names?

FF Draft 2006. "I'll take the first string RB of the team in Seattle. You know, the one from the AFC-NFC Championship game."

Edited by cre8tiff

Among the many unknowns is exactly what this means to fans, but one thing

is certain: It's bad PR.

Major League Baseball has every right to make money off its property--and

it does so with ticket sales, TV revenue, beer and hot dogs. But it risks

alienating millions of fans by saying: hands off our stats.

There are still quite a few for whom every $15 million player contract,

every $3 hotdog, even the slightest suggestion of a new tax-subsidized

stadium, is enough to trigger that old grudge they've been nursing since

the 1994 players' strike. Trying to cash in on Joe Laptop's pretend

baseball season isn't going to sit well with them. Win or lose, this is a

fight MLB can't afford.

1301296[/snapback]

Good info here. I don't play fantasy baseball, but if the NFL ever managed to win the rights to players stats and names and tried to charge me to play fantasy football, I'd be pissed enough to tell them to shove their fees up their ass.

Hopefully it will never come to that.

if the NFL ever managed to win the rights to players stats and names and tried to charge me to play fantasy football, I'd be pissed enough to tell them to shove their fees up their ass.

1301586[/snapback]

I'd just go back to doing the math by hand and typing out a weekly newsletter for the owners.

edit: as long as the start were still in the paper every Monday.

Edited by sunysteelfly76

I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL made some moves to consolidate themselves under one roof.....

For instance, the airing of 8 games a year on the NFL network is a sign of things to come. Broadcast is pretty much going bye-bye and once it's carried by most cable providers I'll bet you see more games moved to the NFLN. Eventually the Super Bowl so they can keep 100% of the advertising revenue for themselves. That's a ways off.

Consider also that they run FF leagues through their website already. Now suppose they force other sites (MFL for instance) to stop using player names on realtime scoring, but offer it themselves at a similar price to MFL. You know where you'll move your fantasy league.

What I'm curious about is how they'd handle the Huddle main course: the projections (probably not a big problem), the gamescan info and the actual tracking of year-to-date scoring. Since the Huddle doesn't actually host leagues this is where I'll bet a lot of the impact happens.

The NFL is much savvier than baseball. I could see baseball forcing high licenses on websites but have no alternative of their own. The NFL already has that alternative and they simply need to push people toward those places.

I'd just go back to doing the math by hand and typing out a weekly newsletter for the owners.

1301598[/snapback]

Well, that's the issue right there. Will the stats be in the paper on Monday if the NFL were ever to win the rights to them? I don't think so. So then what? Black market statisticians?

Stats aren't the issue when it comes to the NFL. It is the use of players names while selling a product. (For example: The Huddle or MFL.) And I'm pretty sure that it isn't the NFL that is pushing on the use of players names. It is the NFLPA. (May be wrong on that.... but seems I remember something along those lines.)

Arrington of the 'Skins was the first, I believe, in what will become a long line of players that want to be paid every time their name is used no matter what the venture.

The attitude in today's world of money hungry athlete. No matter how much they get, or have, it will never be enough and they will continue to find ways to squeeze out every penny they can.

Arrington of the 'Skins was the first, I believe, in what will become a long line of players that want to be paid every time their name is used no matter what the venture.

1301647[/snapback]

Does that include Police Reports....

1301598[/snapback]

I still do this for my homer league.

A few of my friends still dont have computers...

:D

The attitude in today's world of money hungry athlete. No matter how much they get, or have, it will never be enough and they will continue to find ways to squeeze out every penny they can.

1301647[/snapback]

Let's be fair here: in today's world website can spring up and clear hundreds of thousands of dollars using someone's name. This is relatively new to collective bargaining agreements. Also, you know this is well above and beyond how stats are used in a newspaper since there are numerous topics covered in said paper, and fantasy sites are for fantasy sports.

The internet has opened numerous issues where none existed before, file sharing being the most obvious. If you want to advantage of having your scoring done for you, done differently than when this industry started then it stands to reason that the business side of things will be done differently as well and we'll have to get used to it. To expect a HUGH convenience to be given away for free is selfish as well.

Let's be fair here: in today's world website can spring up and clear hundreds of thousands of dollars using someone's name. This is relatively new to collective bargaining agreements. Also, you know this is well above and beyond how stats are used in a newspaper since there are numerous topics covered in said paper, and fantasy sites are for fantasy sports.

The internet has opened numerous issues where none existed before, file sharing being the most obvious. If you want to advantage of having your scoring done for you, done differently than when this industry started then it stands to reason that the business side of things will be done differently as well and we'll have to get used to it. To expect a HUGH convenience to be given away for free is selfish as well.

1301685[/snapback]

Whoah, I dont even know where to begin here...how can you compare the use of names and statistics by fantasy football websites to file sharing? The former have long been recognized as public record, while the latter was/is theft, pure and simple.

If society goes down this road, where does it end? Every time I tell my girlfriend "Brittney Spears SUCKS" should I have to mail off a small fee for uttering her name?

If anyone is guilty of greed in this instance, it is clearly the Player's Union. Abject nonsense.

1301685[/snapback]

Its a computer program, and the good sites are for pay such as MFL. Yahoo uses advertising on their site, so they get paid that way.

Whoah, I dont even know where to begin here...how can you compare the use of names and statistics by fantasy football websites to file sharing? The former have long been recognized as public record, while the latter was/is theft, pure and simple.

If anyone is guilty of greed in this instance, it is clearly the Player's Union. Abject nonsense.

1301738[/snapback]

File sharing is new to the world, just like FF realtime scoring websites. It's a different wa of doing things than we've been used to in the past, and the consequences ripple everywhere. We are no longer looking up names and adding up facts but are paying someone else to do it for us in a packaged manner. What you see as 'abject nonsense" is, in fact, a relatively new business model that generates millions of dollars nationwide with the originators of that product -the NFLPA- completely cut out of the pie.

Are you surprised they want to change it? You shouldn't be. Also, I'm sure the ownerrs will get in on the act as well. Welcome to the 21st Century.

Edited by Pope Flick

I still do this for my homer league.

A few of my friends still dont have computers...

:D

1301674[/snapback]

My first and "main" league still doesn't use a host site. We send our lineups via email or phone (used to be fax) and send out "reports" every Tuesday (via email - used to be fax). We get our scores from NFL.com or whatever and calculate ourselves. It's actually sort of cathartic and fun. :D

Am I shocked that the NFLPA wants more money? Hardly. And I'll ask you to spare me the condecension.

File sharing is a completely different animal. The files BEING shared were already recognized as property, to share files is no more legal than making conterfeit copies of any other type of property.

You COULD make a case with regard to live scoring, good point. I think that would make for a very interesting case; however I would think the aggreived party would be the NFL, not the players themselves.

I cannot see any situation in which websites could not tabulate the scores of fantasy teams once the games were complete. Again, public domain.

Am I shocked that the NFLPA wants more money? Hardly. And I'll ask you to spare me the condecension.

File sharing is a completely different animal. The files BEING shared were already recognized as property, to share files is no more legal than making conterfeit copies of any other type of property.

You COULD make a case with regard to live scoring, good point. I think that would make for a very interesting case; however I would think the aggreived party would be the NFL, not the players themselves.

I cannot see any situation in which websites could not tabulate the scores of fantasy teams once the games were complete. Again, public domain.

1301822[/snapback]

Dude - I only brought up file sharing as an example of how the internet has impacted business models. It holds little correlation beyond that in this, but it is relevant in that light.

Things are changing, and we'll like some -the convenience of scoring being added and won't liek others - potentiall higher website fees.

Dude - I only brought up file sharing as an example of how the internet has impacted business models. It holds little correlation beyond that in this, but it is relevant in that light.

Things are changing, and we'll like some -the convenience of scoring being added and won't liek others - potentiall higher website fees.

1301838[/snapback]

Dont the website fees always go up? :D

Sorry if I took what you said the wrong way, I've had sort of a rough day.

Anyway, it is an interesting topic.

File sharing is new to the world, just like FF realtime scoring websites. It's a different wa of doing things than we've been used to in the past, and the consequences ripple everywhere. We are no longer looking up names and adding up facts but are paying someone else to do it for us in a packaged manner. What you see as 'abject nonsense" is, in fact, a relatively new business model that generates millions of dollars nationwide with the originators of that product -the NFLPA- completely cut out of the pie.

Are you surprised they want to change it? You shouldn't be. Also, I'm sure the ownerrs will get in on the act as well. Welcome to the 21st Century.

1301801[/snapback]

I'm not convinced that the NFLPA are the originators of any product. This is not a copyright issue in the traditional sense, this is the use of someone's name and attaching to that name real world facts (stats) that are beyond dispute. The money is made by the FF hosting sites not by the use of the players NAME, per se, but by the display of stats and facts attached to that player, plus the automation of what used to be a very long-winded business.

If Shaun Alexander retired tomorrow, there would be zero impact to how fantasy football hosting websites work, as he is a completely interchangeable part, just a named attribute in a database. He and all the other players sell nothing on the site - it is the mechanics of the site that are selling. As someone said earlier, it would be less convenient to use the term "Seattle acknowledged #1 RB" instead of Shaun A, but if we did, the site would work just the same.

Quick note about live scoring - as soon as a score happens, it is a fact, thus it is accepted as being in public domain. I do not see how the NFL can deny the use of "live scores" any more than they could deny the use of a chatroom where all participants are watching one game each and reporting the score to the others as it happens.

The state or the ghey play. :D

1301913[/snapback]

The state. More exact, from the site of a confederate supply depot where I found a cavalry spur and what I am claiming as the hilt from a sword though others may consider it merely an old piece of rusted iron strap.