[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Someone recommend me a book

AtomicCEO

I just finished up Greg Iles' "Turning Angel"- story about a small twon doctor-favorite son, ex-high school football hero, etc. who gets exposed for having an affair with a 17 year old high school senior after said senior turns up dead in the creek. Thisbook features some of the same main characters that were in a previous book (same small town too) called "The Quiet Game" where an old civil rights murder case is reopened/reinvestigated- I'd suggest reading them both Quiet Game first.

These are both good reads, IMO.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fiction, lighthearted, funny, but an engaging story with good characters. Maybe some mystery... maybe some science... it doesn't matter.

No fantasy. And for the love of Odin, please don't recommend "A Confederacy of Dunces". Everyone told me that was funny... but it wasn't.

I've read all of Douglas Adams, Tom Robbins, and Kurt Vonnegut...

Actually... maybe I should read Hearts In Atlantis, or one of the newer tied-in King novels. Anyone read those? I know they aren't funny...

Got anything?

More of a long short story, rather than a book, but you have to read "A Boy and his Dog".

God I hate Beets

The Eagle Has Landed, by Jack Higgins - oldie but goodie.

Here's another - I've recommended this book here before, not sure if anyone ever took me up on it. Not fictional, but it is light reading and funny as hell. The author is a cultural snob (opera, French restaurants, etc.) who decides to take a year of his life and delve into pop culture (he goes to a Red Lobster restaurant, sees Cats on broadway, listens to Phil Collins, etc.). And then it escalates from there, as he goes to Branson, Missourri, attends a John Tesh concert, and so on. The guy is an abounpaid friende riot.

The Eagle Has Landed, by Jack Higgins - oldie but goodie.

Here's another - I've recommended this book here before, not sure if anyone ever took me up on it. Not fictional, but it is light reading and funny as hell. The author is a cultural snob (opera, French restaurants, etc.) who decides to take a year of his life and delve into pop culture (he goes to a Red Lobster restaurant, sees Cats on broadway, listens to Phil Collins, etc.). And then it escalates from there, as he goes to Branson, Missourri, attends a John Tesh concert, and so on. The guy is an abounpaid friende riot.

This reminded me of THIS book. By Chuck Palahniuk - author of Fight Club, Survivor, Choke, Haunted and more - Stranger Than Fiction is not a novel - it is true stories of bizarro America. Very good read - you'll want to pass it along (or certain chapers thereof).

Actually... maybe I should read Hearts In Atlantis, or one of the newer tied-in King novels. Anyone read those? I know they aren't funny...

If you're just looking for some reading that will entertain you without having to think very hard about what you're reading, King's an excellent choice. Knowing you read the Dark Tower series, have you read The Talisman and Black House?

No reason not to read Hearts in Atlantis.

I goddamm guarantee the first of this series. It can be gotten in a library, if necessary.

Flashman. . . the 1st book of the Flashman Papers. Author = George Fraser :D

Harry Flashman is a fictional character who mistakenly gets the reputation of a brave hero. Also, he will mount anything that will stay still long enuff, f'n hilarious!

Edited by Ramhock

All you so called fantasy/sci fi readers, here is an old old school series that is frickin good.And there are a ton of them and a small house is just beginning to reissue the whole series:

Robert Adams' Horseclan series. This is the first just reissued.

Wikipedia page.

All of em at Amazon.

Adams knew his military history and wrote amazing war/battle/military scenes. And they are good and violent.

I expect feedback from all you guys drooling over George RR Martin, who is good but no great shakes compared to some of the masters.

"Boy's Life" by Robert McCammon- In 1964, 12-year-old Cory Mackenson lives with his parents in Zephyr, Alabama. It is a sleepy, comfortable town. Cory is helping with his father's milk route one morning when a car plunges into the lake before their eyes. His father dives in after the car and finds a dead man handcuffed to the steering wheel. Their world no longer seems so innocent: a vicious killer hides among apparently friendly neighbors. Other, equally unsettling transmogrifications occur: a friend's father becomes a shambling bully under the influence of moonshine, decent men metamorphose into Klan bigots, "responsible" adults flee when faced with danger for the first time. With the aid of unexpected allies, Cory faces hair-raising dangers as he seeks to find the secret of the dead man in the lake. McCammon writes an exciting adventure story. He also gives us an affecting tale of a young man growing out of childhood in a troubled place and time.

-I LOVED THIS BOOK.

Good choice Marauders. :D

All you so called fantasy/sci fi readers, here is an old old school series that is frickin good.And there are a ton of them and a small house is just beginning to reissue the whole series:

Robert Adams' Horseclan series. This is the first just reissued.

Wikipedia page.

All of em at Amazon.

Adams knew his military history and wrote amazing war/battle/military scenes. And they are good and violent.

I expect feedback from all you guys drooling over George RR Martin, who is good but no great shakes compared to some of the masters.

Martin better be good...I just bought that book today...

Knowing you read the Dark Tower series, have you read The Talisman and Black House?

You know what... I have Black House somewhere. I got it for Christmas last year and forgot about it.

I liked the Talisman... I should start the sequel. Good idea.

Thanks for the other suggestions (those of you who actually recommended funny fiction). :D

Tonorator,

I just read JPod and thought it was pretty good, but I remember liking Microserfs a lot better. Did you ever read Shampoo Planet? Defintely all quick, easy, entertaining reads. BTW - Also like the Kid A avy. Did you see Radiohead on the latest tour? The unfortunately did not make it to the Pacific NW.

Another book I really enjoyed, but it is really dense, is Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. Anybody read this one??

I'll second Hiasson as a good choice. Detective-y, funny.

I too am a fan of the George RR Martin series...although not so much that I'm going to read Feast before it comes out in paperback.

I'm currently reading Eragon by Christopher Paolini, which is pretty good. Tremendously good when you consider it was written by a boy who was only 16 at the time.

For the Martin-o-philes...

I have a suggestion for you. In a series like this that drags on for some time, it can be tough to remember all of the details of the books. One thing that helps and is a really interesting way to look at the story is to go back and reread the series one POV at a time. It's been a while, but I think the forst chapter is Bran. Read all of the Bran chapters, and then go back and read all of the POV chapters for the person in chapter 2.

It is an interesting way to get your mind wrapped around each character, and can shed some differnt light on some of the more complex plots that Martin develops.

You know what... I have Black House somewhere. I got it for Christmas last year and forgot about it.

I liked the Talisman... I should start the sequel. Good idea.

Thanks for the other suggestions (those of you who actually recommended funny fiction). :D

:D

Tonorator,

I just read JPod and thought it was pretty good, but I remember liking Microserfs a lot better. Did you ever read Shampoo Planet? Defintely all quick, easy, entertaining reads. BTW - Also like the Kid A avy. Did you see Radiohead on the latest tour? The unfortunately did not make it to the Pacific NW.

Another book I really enjoyed, but it is really dense, is Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. Anybody read this one??

jpod is the first i've read from coupland. i'll have to go back and check out microserfs. have not seen radiohead, but would love to!

For the Martin-o-philes...

I have a suggestion for you. In a series like this that drags on for some time, it can be tough to remember all of the details of the books. One thing that helps and is a really interesting way to look at the story is to go back and reread the series one POV at a time. It's been a while, but I think the forst chapter is Bran. Read all of the Bran chapters, and then go back and read all of the POV chapters for the person in chapter 2.

It is an interesting way to get your mind wrapped around each character, and can shed some differnt light on some of the more complex plots that Martin develops.

I never thought about doing that. That would work well with Jordan's Wheel of Time as there is so much going on.

And...the first chapter of A Game of Thrones is Royce, Will, and Gared on the other side of the wall...:D