[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Speaking of Kids

spain

The family that lives behind us has 3 kids. They are 5, 3, and 8 months. It works out good since they can play with our kids alot. Their middle child, a little beautiful red head named Natalie, has Downs Syndrome. I always terrified that I would have a child with something like that and thought it would be a horrible fate. I didnt know if or how I could cope with something like that. Obviously, you want your kids to be healthy and happy and semi-well adjusted, but having a child with Downs isnt as "bad" as I thought. Natalie is a wonderful little girl. Yes, she is different and looks different, but a more loving kid I have never seen. She makes me smile whenever I see her.

Like all females, as soon as she sees me, she runs over and jumps into my arms and yells, "Daddy Daddy". Of course I let her know that I didnt even know her Mama back then. :D Anyway, having a child with Downs is nothing like I thought. That child has been an absolute joy to her parents and grandparents. And if we wind up adopting a child, I could see us taking a child with a problem like that because I bet alot of people wouldnt want one and they probably have a big need for parents in those situations.

Downs kids are unique.....ones i've met are always happy,polite, very loving kids.....you can't be bummed out around them.. :D ...their world seems like a joyful place..........the Downside i think is for the parents because it seems like twice the work & worry.........

The family that lives behind us has 3 kids. They are 5, 3, and 8 months. It works out good since they can play with our kids alot. Their middle child, a little beautiful red head named Natalie, has Downs Syndrome. I always terrified that I would have a child with something like that and thought it would be a horrible fate. I didnt know if or how I could cope with something like that. Obviously, you want your kids to be healthy and happy and semi-well adjusted, but having a child with Downs isnt as "bad" as I thought. Natalie is a wonderful little girl. Yes, she is different and looks different, but a more loving kid I have never seen. She makes me smile whenever I see her.

Like all females, as soon as she sees me, she runs over and jumps into my arms and yells, "Daddy Daddy". Of course I let her know that I didnt even know her Mama back then. :D Anyway, having a child with Downs is nothing like I thought. That child has been an absolute joy to her parents and grandparents. And if we wind up adopting a child, I could see us taking a child with a problem like that because I bet alot of people wouldnt want one and they probably have a big need for parents in those situations.

That would be admirable . Keep in mind that child will need a lot more attention then a child without that condition and it may effect the time you will be able to spend with your other kids.

Downs kids are great - very happy most of the time as has been said.

I've done some volunteer work for a group called Uptown Downs. If anybody is looking for rewarding volunteer work, look up your local chapter. :D

children with down's syndrome generally have intellectual abilities that fall within the Moderate range of mental retardation. as such, they are unaware that they are retarded and typically have pleasant demeanors (in my experience). However, they always function much like a young child and will never be able to live independently. Much work, worry, and planning involved in raising these children.

Spain gets the Dr. J, Mr. Hyde award or the best use of image changing PR by a Huddler...

Having kids is tough enough. I couldn't imagine having a mentally handicapped child, but would have to rise to the challenge if I ever did have one.

We've come a long way to helping folks with Downs live as independently as they're able...but 'teve's point is well taken: you have to assume they will need custodial care for their entire lives. You'll need an individual/organization, etc., to be able to continue to oversee their medical and financial needs once you're gone.

When I was working in an independent living program for adults with a variety of developmental disabilities, it was all to common to work with families of adults with disabilities living with their elderly parents. Tough situation for all involved.

This kindler gentler spain in touch with his feelings and wearing them on his sleeve is starting to freak me out a bit. :D

I have a first cousin with severe downs; I have a lot of respect for my Uncle and Aunt because they have raised that child along with his two brothers in a fashion that makes me proud. I don't get to see them much as they are about two hours away but always enjoy my visits with them. We have an annual golf tourney up that way and stay at my Uncle's that night because he throws a big bash that night afterwards.

My cousin is now 18 years old. I would venture to say it was a tough 18 years for them but I doubt they would trade it in.

Having kids is tough enough. I couldn't imagine having a mentally handicapped child, but would have to rise to the challenge if I ever did have one.

I wonder how much differently one might view social programs funded by federal tax dollars? :D

I have a cousin with Downs. Well, not really a cousin, but because I have such a small family, I consider him - and his brother and sister - cousins. He's the son of my Dad's best friend from HS. He is only a few years younger than me. As many have said here, there are few people in this world with a more cheerful attitude than my cousin and those like him with DS. My "aunt" is a hugh advocate of Special Olympics and my cousin always does very well in weightlifting, softball and hoops. He's worked at a grocery store for about 10 years. He gets Employee of the Month all the time. He bags groceries and helps clean up. He's awesome. Wish I were out in Chicago more often to spend time with him and his family.