[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Round 3, you need a #2 RB, who do you pick?

matt770

First round you took a stud RB, second you went with the best WR available. In the third round you know the RB position will be depleted quickly if you don't pick one now. If you disagree with taking an RB here, assume someone has a gun to your head and will blow you away if you pick anything other than an RB. Your choices:

Chester Taylor

Reuben Droughns

Kevin Jones

Julius Jones

Willie Parker

Warrick Dunn

Tatum Bell

Jamal Lewis

Reggie Bush

Joseph Addai

Thomas Jones

Who do you think is the safest pick? Who do you think has the most upside to perform more like a first rounder than a third?

My choices are in the order I put them in above. I took into consideration their offensive system, likelihood of getting the most touches, likelihood to just plain bust because they suck, and injury risk.

The reason I pose this question is that I hold my nose every time I'm faced with drafting one of these guys. They all have a history of injury, or they have busted in recent years, or have risk to lose touches (or TDs) to another RB. I don't think any of them are "safe" enough for my comfort, especially to burn such a precious early pick. Yet I know that if I skip RB here, there will be even slimmer pickins in the 4th. What's your strategy?

I like Taylor and Parker. I think Taylor has major upside this year and Parker isn't far behind. I'd wait however on both and watch a little preseason to see where they end up and how they look with a little playing time. This also applies to Thomas Jones, although I'm pretty sure at best he's going to be splitting time. I'd also take a serious look at Kevin Jones. If the new offense seems to be blocking better and they appear to be throwing it more, then he may move up to #1 on the list. Either way, I'd grab anothe RB either the next round, or rnd 5 so you have 3 decent ones to play with.

Edited by NAUgrad

That is a nice list to play around with. I love Kevin Jones and I think he should be able to explode in the new offense. If he stays healthy, he will no doubt outperform his draft position. Chester Taylor is getting a lot of love lately so I wouldn't be against drafting him either. But for the great word potential, I think Kevin Jones is your boy.

it depends on who my exact first two picks are...now if you can list your first two picks then go ahead and make a new thread in the correct forum for a question like that and I will gladly answer that question

for this question there are to many variables that were not addressed

Easy K jones. However, I think that it depends on what position you are drafting from and how many teams are drafting. as I think close to half that list could already be off the board. In a 12-14 team league K jones, Taylor, Droughns, Parker, J jones, Bush and maybe even Jamal will be gone. In a 10 team league I think KJ, JJ, Droughns, Parker and maybe even Bush will be gone by the 3rd round.

Edited by irish

Taylor or Droughns...then KJ...

I hope the guys in my league feel this way as well and leave me K. Jones.

I like JJ, although I have him just one slot above Droughns. With KJ a close third, if faced with that pick though I would probably go with Droughns, you know he will get a good amount of carries and was a decent #2 back last year.

Although I like Taylor's potential, who knows really what he will do in a completely new offense and his first time being a full time starter.

I'd check about that "gun to your head being loaded"...then pick the best player on the board.

Though I am not sure how many picks go by until your 4th-round selection, but assume that one of the RBs you listed (since there are so many) is still there when you are on the clock again. While there may be one or two that "appear" have more slightly value, any of the RBs you list could have Top-10 years, or be busts, for all the reasons you mentioned.

Based on the thinking that they are all the same, and its a crapshoot with any of them, I'd take another Top WR to give you a phenomenal pair of wideouts, or Gates if is is a TE mandatory league, and then draft whatever RB falls to you in the 4th.

You yourself said they are all similar and have their own question marks.

Unless you have a compelling reason to draft one, why be the first to choose from this list of low 2nd/high 3rd tier RBs, when you can grab another Top-10 WR, and take whoever is left to you from the list in the 4th?

Guarnateed someone from that list will still be there when you pick again, and from the responses you have received, it could be any of them. Let the other coaches try to predict the future...you just go out and grab the best player on the board.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

I'd check about that "gun to your head being loaded"...then pick the best player on the board.

Though I am not sure how many picks go by until your 4th-round selection, but assume that one of the RBs you listed (since there are so many) is still there when you are on the clock again. While there may be one or two that "appear" have more slightly value, any of the RBs you list could have Top-10 years, or be busts, for all the reasons you mentioned.

Based on the thinking that they are all the same, and its a crapshoot with any of them, I'd take another Top WR to give you a phenomenal pair of wideouts, or Gates if is is a TE mandatory league, and then draft whatever RB falls to you in the 4th.

Unless you have a compelling reason to draft one, why be the first to choose from this list of low 2nd/high 3rd tier RBs, when you can grab another Top-10 WR, and take whoever is left to you from the list in the 4th?

Guarnateed someone from that list will still be there when you pick again, and from the responses you have received, it could be any of them. Let the other coaches try to predict the future...you just go out and grab the best player on the board.

I know it's not you're opinion it was the original posters but just my 2 cents no way in Hell do i leave round 3 without 2 backs. K. Jones would be all mine. Followed by 1 of Parker, Droughns or Taylor. I would never take a QB that early and after about the Top 8 WRs they fall off so they can wait too. So I'll get a great RB a Top 5 WR and a very solid RB. After that I'll play the rest out.

Edited by irish

No way KJ would top my list. If Martz has his way, they will never run the ball in Detroit (I don't remember the Rams really pounding it out on the Ground under the genius)

I think Dunn is far and away the safest pick and think Julius Jones and Chester Taylor have the most upside.

Droughns is the most boring selection. Enjoy his 2-3 Tds if you take him.

Personally, I would take another WR (a very good one too, I imagine in the 3rd) in this spot and still get one of those RBs listed as the QBs, WR, and TEs begin to fly off the board into the 4th round leaving behind the Droughns, Parkers of the world.

Jeff

No way KJ would top my list. If Martz has his way, they will never run the ball in Detroit (I don't remember the Rams really pounding it out on the Ground under the genius)

I think Dunn is far and away the safest pick and think Julius Jones and Chester Taylor have the most upside.

Droughns is the most boring selection. Enjoy his 2-3 Tds if you take him.

Personally, I would take another WR (a very good one too, I imagine in the 3rd) in this spot and still get one of those RBs listed as the QBs, WR, and TEs begin to fly off the board into the 4th round leaving behind the Droughns, Parkers of the world.

Jeff

Dunn is no better than Droughns. Dunn gets yards but no TD's. He's as consistent an average scorer as they come with almost no upside. KJ or Taylor would be my pick.

Personally, I'd take Julius Jones and back him up later w/ Marion Barber. Next to him I like Droughns. Despite his lack of TD total last year, I think he's the def. #1 and will improve upon last yrs totals. Not sold on Taylor at this point but maybe we'll see more in preseason.

Wow. I'm either going to dominate my leagues this year, or suffer dramatically with my contrarian views.

Willie Parker is the answer to all those questions.

Not sure of Willie (I'm from Pittsburgh);

I like the order of your list (although I would bump taylor down 3 spots on your list)

DITTO!!! I couldn't have said it better

I couldn't have said it better!!!!

Edited by pirate