[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any of you spend a lot on a vaccuum?

peepinmofo

Im gonna be buying a new vaccuum sometime soon, and I know they range from $50 - $500. Whats the deal with those pricey ones? Are they worth it? Im getting a townhouse soon, and itll have tile downstairs and carpet upstairs. I also have 2 dogs.

the Mrs. wanted a Dyson........$540 later, we got a Dyson. :D

Whats it do for $540? I mean, I know vaccuums suck and all that, but what justifies that price tag?

Peep, if you have two dogs get a Dyson you will not regret it. It really is worth the $!! They are expensive but will last a long time....

I have an Oreck XL I bought for ~$300 several years ago. (relatively cheap by today's standards) It really is very light and does a fine job. I think it's close to 10 years old now, so it is sturdy. I'd like a Dyson but I can't justify that kind of outlay...for a VACUUM CLEANER. :D

I have an Oreck XL I bought for ~$300 several years ago. (relatively cheap by today's standards) It really is very light and does a fine job. I think it's close to 10 years old now, so it is sturdy. I'd like a Dyson but I can't justify that kind of outlay...for a VACUUM CLEANER. :D

Mrs. RR wants an Oreck $400-$500 range. We had a Hoover for like 20 years. We bought a new one it broke down after 6 years. We bought another it's breaking down after 5 years had it fixed and after the 30 day warranty by a week, it started doing the same thing. The Hoovers clean great, but the newer ones break down early! :D

Kenmore seems to get the best ratings from CR. The Dyson looks and is really heavy. Not good in our 5 level house. The Oreck comes w/ a bunch of freebies and longer warranties w/ 'free' checkups. They are also less than half the weight of most others. Our cleaning ladies use Oreck and that has convinced the wife. I'm not fighting the Mrs. on this one..... Oreck....

I got an Orek, and my kids killed it :D

And the pussification of The Tailgate continues...

Sik 'em Bunz, Devilwoman, Czar, Sweetlips!!!!!

If it runs on electricity.......it's cool! Amps, Watts, Horsepower, RAM, processor speed.....it's all cool! :D

Mrs. RR wants an Oreck $400-$500 range. We had a Hoover for like 20 years. We bought a new one it broke down after 6 years. We bought another it's breaking down after 5 years had it fixed and after the 30 day warranty by a week, it started doing the same thing. The Hoovers clean great, but the newer ones break down early! :D

Kenmore seems to get the best ratings from CR. The Dyson looks and is really heavy. Not good in our 5 level house. The Oreck comes w/ a bunch of freebies and longer warranties w/ 'free' checkups. They are also less than half the weight of most others. Our cleaning ladies use Oreck and that has convinced the wife. I'm not fighting the Mrs. on this one..... Oreck....

I sure hope you haven't spent your money yet.

Make sure you tell the salesperson exactly what your carpet is and how deep it is. Orecks aren't any good on certain types of carpet.... they continuously break the rubber gasket that makes the wheels run smoothly.

Trust me on this... have owned one for around 5 or 6 years. Continuously took it in because it would quit working correctly. Finally... the last time... while the repairman had it in the back the lady in the front (she was new to that store) took us aside and told us the problem.... she said that the repairmen weren't allowed to say anything. She gave us 10 free gaskets so we could replace them ourselves.

WHOLE LOT OF MONEY I could have spent elsewhere for a whole lot less trouble.

Now... I am not saying don't buy one... I am just saying make sure you get one for what you have in the house. And I will say... they never fobbed us off or anything like that.... always good customer service. FWTW.

I sure hope you haven't spent your money yet.

Make sure you tell the salesperson exactly what your carpet is and how deep it is. Orecks aren't any good on certain types of carpet.... they continuously break the rubber gasket that makes the wheels run smoothly.

Trust me on this... have owned one for around 5 or 6 years. Continuously took it in because it would quit working correctly. Finally... the last time... while the repairman had it in the back the lady in the front (she was new to that store) took us aside and told us the problem.... she said that the repairmen weren't allowed to say anything. She gave us 10 free gaskets so we could replace them ourselves.

WHOLE LOT OF MONEY I could have spent elsewhere for a whole lot less trouble.

Now... I am not saying don't buy one... I am just saying make sure you get one for what you have in the house. And I will say... they never fobbed us off or anything like that.... always good customer service. FWTW.

When you see Mrs. RR on Saturday......you tell her that and then :D !!! :D She is not rational on this subject. Ohhhh did I say rational about a female???? :D

We have very thick carpet for the most part. Our family room is soooo thick eggs bounce!

Edit for:

Thanks for the info! :D

Edited by rocknrobn26

My wife absolutely loves to vacuum..Seriously she vacuums the house about 6 times a day. Between my little ones and my 2 dogs that thing is always running. I bought her a 900 dollar electrolux The " legacy" model. I know it sounds nuts but she absolutely loved it..It has these lemon flavored bags that freshen the room. It makes the carpet look nice and high everytime she uses it. Our dogs dont shed but they wrestle a lot and bite each other so there is a lot of hair being ripped out. It all comes up great and there is no hint of Dog smell. Under normal circumstances id never spend that on a vacuum but to her it was a big deal so I went the extra mile..It has a million gadgets and a mini cvacuum for stairs.

Edited by whomper

My mom had a Rainbow vacuum and it lasted for 20 years. I bought my wife one 15 years ago, and it's still going strong. Problem is they're about $1200.00 bucks. But we haven't had to buy a vacuum for 15 years. Everything gets sucked into a water reservoir, (so there's no dust) and you just dump it down the toilet when you're done.

We bought a Dyson Animal. Best money we ever spent. It it truly amazing how much stuff wasn't being picked up by our old vacuum. Also, our sinuses thank us.

My mom had a Rainbow vacuum and it lasted for 20 years. I bought my wife one 15 years ago, and it's still going strong. Problem is they're about $1200.00 bucks. But we haven't had to buy a vacuum for 15 years. Everything gets sucked into a water reservoir, (so there's no dust) and you just dump it down the toilet when you're done.

I've got a Rainbow as well. With two dogs, a cat and a kid, it's worth it to keep the crib clean, IMO.