[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone watching the Friday Night Lights Series?

LooGie

I thought it would suck, but it's actually really good. This last episode was good, but I seriously doubt there's a player (especially high school) anywhere in the world that would walk off while the coach was calling a play just to call his own, JUST TO PISS off the coach. A player not named Vick of course. And Peyton I suppose, but for different reasons.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I've been watching it, though I recorded last nights to watch later. I too have been pleasantly surprised as well. The politics in small towns like that is nearly unbelievable, and I'd like to think they are over dramaticizing things, but I suspect they're not.

What's funny is that everyone in the town knows how to do the coaches job soooo much better than he does apparently. If that was true why aren't they coaching themselves though.

I can do without the 90210/O.C style drama, but I understand that's necessary to keep the young 'uns watching, but the football side of the show is fairly interesting.

I'm enjoying the series as well. Love watching the interaction between the coach and his wife is what always seems like pressure situations. That town really lays it on that family. Got a real kick out of the dawning realization on the coaches face when he saw Sarazen with his daughter 'Uh, I think I just told Sarazen to get in the back seat of his car with our daughter'

As someone mentioned before, the politics is intriguing. Wouldn't mind seeing more football action either. And I could also do without the high school love scenes and intrigue. This is football! But damn, the head cheerleader is hot.

The show is good, the acting is good, the football action is crap. It jumps too much and is unrealistic. I have never understood why Hollywood has to exaggerate the hits and speed of football. In the episode last night alone there were at least 5 hits you only see once a year. Football is good enough w/o making it unrealistic.

What's funny is that everyone in the town knows how to do the coaches job soooo much better than he does apparently. If that was true why aren't they coaching themselves though.

Small towns can be like "Hoosiers". I live in a gossip driven area(town of 600) and it can be bad.

The show is good, the acting is good, the football action is crap. It jumps too much and is unrealistic. I have never understood why Hollywood has to exaggerate the hits and speed of football. In the episode last night alone there were at least 5 hits you only see once a year. Football is good enough w/o making it unrealistic.

They have to do that because in high school football the people just fall over, most high school football teams are boring and horrible to watch, you HAVE to add action into it.

I've been watching it. Being a football fan i knew i would watch it even if it sucked, but its actually a very good show and it is well written. I also like how each episode covers 1 week in time and how they break the days down. Leila is smokin, though im not too happy about her hooking up with his friend.

I was also watching Smith with Ray Liota but it got cancelled, i thought that was a good show and they pulled the plug after 3 weeks because of ratings. So i then looked into the ratings for Friday Night Lights, and found out that the show is "hanging on by a thread". I will be very unhappy if they pull the plug on it. And playing it on Monday this week was a bad call with MNF on..

Yeah, I've been watching it, though I recorded last nights to watch later. I too have been pleasantly surprised as well. The politics in small towns like that is nearly unbelievable, and I'd like to think they are over dramaticizing things, but I suspect they're not.

I can do without the 90210/O.C style drama, but I understand that's necessary to keep the young 'uns watching, but the football side of the show is fairly interesting.

Yah, like i really care if some hooker is sleeping around on the star qb or some girl who isn't even associated with the team is tired of living in texas. :D

They could show the whole team meetings and i would be happy. Real time, like 24! Just follow the players around. pefection.

edit: and I'm not being sarcastic. As I read back through it seemed like I might be, but nope. I really would love the show if it was ONLY about the team.

Edited by LooGie

I was also watching Smith with Ray Liota but it got cancelled, i thought that was a good show and they pulled the plug after 3 weeks because of ratings. So i then looked into the ratings for Friday Night Lights, and found out that the show is "hanging on by a thread". I will be very unhappy if they pull the plug on it. And playing it on Monday this week was a bad call with MNF on..

I was also watching Smith, and one of the reasons they cancelled it in addition to ratings is that it was a very expensive show as they shot so much on location, thus, the very short leash it got. I can't imagine FNL costs that much to shoot, so it will probably get more leeway

And playing it on Monday this week was a bad call with MNF on..

no kidding. if people hate football, they certainly aren't going to watch this series. and if they love football, they certainly aren't going to miss MNF :D bad move, but the same episode replays so maybe it was just a ploy?

no kidding. if people hate football, they certainly aren't going to watch this series. and if they love football, they certainly aren't going to miss MNF :D bad move, but the same episode replays so maybe it was just a ploy?

Well, here on Entertainment Coast, 10PM is well after MNF is over so no conflict. They were trying it out at a new time slot to see if it could get better ratings, especially with Heroes as a lead in rather than being the first show of the prime time period .

What episode are they on in the season?

I believe tonights is the 4th episode. (repeat of last nights episode, but Tues at 8PM is the normal time slot)

Edit to add: If you ever saw Varsity Blues, this is based on the same subject. Star quarterback gets hurt, backup has to step up.. but the coach here is not a major prick as in VB, and the chicks aren't in whip cream bikinis... at least not yet.

Edited by Big Country

What about the anti-establishment blonde, the one who was dating the FB, but cheated on him with the RB? She's pretty hot too.

I recorded it for a few weeks and had a hard time getting into the first episode, but am pretty hooked now. Interesting show, like others said, the politics and town 'persona' are interesting. It's not OC/90210 like I thought it would be.

I am curious though how many Katrina players got paid to transfer to other schools. I think Wisconsin football is pretty squeeky clean, but I wonder how it really is in Texas, Florida and other states. I can see how guys like TO get attitudes if this is how they're recruited.

It was originally on Tuesdays around here, no way I'd watch it over MNF!