[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Chicken or the Egg....

Chavez

So how much does an elite QB make a WR or vice versa? Does Manning get more benefit from Harrison or the other way around? How is it Boldin and Fitz can produce at such a high level with such putrid QBs? Why is Tom Brady so good with mediocre WRs?

:D

very hard to say

Would Jerry Rice have been as good if he had been drafted by Clevland instead of SF (I'd say no)? And/or were Montana/Young made hall of famers b/c of Rice?

Several QBs have been hall of fame level w/o great WRs. Farvre (Sharp was great but most are not the best WRs in the league), Marino (not the best WRs) Elway (not the best WRs) McNabb (TO was only together for 20 games) etc...

I think you can see a WR like Owens has brought up the level of play of Garcia/McNabb but then again McNabb is not doing bad w/o TO so it's hard to say.

I can give examples of WR who were GREAT WITH SEVERAL DIFFERNET QBs, Like Moss and Hinse Ward. And Also QBs that don't always have the best WRs like Farvre and McNabb.

You might say it's rare for a combo like Manning/Harrison or Rice/Montana and Rice/Young where both players are the top of the league.

You can argu either way. Suffice it to say it depends on seversal things:

QB

WR

Coach style...

Edited by rai

You might say it's rare for a combo like Manning/Harrison or Rice/Montana and Rice/Young where both players are the top of the league.

QB

WR

Coach style...

+1

Jerry Rice and Joe Montana, or Jerry Rice and Steve Young... it's like Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison, only Manning/Harrison might even be a better combo -- their team simply lacks the defense to (at least so far) have the same dynasty that the 49ers had for such a long period of time.

For example, Joe Montana is so good that he made Dwight Clark possibly have a much better career than if he played elsewhere. While Dwight Clark was a Pro Bowl WR, and had a lot of talant, it is a given fact that Joe Montana helped inspire such great play from this wide receiver. Then, when All-World wide receiver Jerry Rice hooked up with Montana it created what is known as one of the best WR/QB combos in the history of the NFL. The same with Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison, as well as Jerry Rice and Steve Young.

The records indicate proof of this more than anything else.

But when you get an average QB with an amazing WR it isn't very difficult to see which position makes the other play better, or at least appear better. Looking at it the other way around (for example, Tom Brady), sometimes it is a very accurate and consistent QB that can help offer average WR's the ability to play at a level that most other QB's will not get out of them.

So in this case, it's the it's the Chicken that creates the egg, however, the egg that also re-creates another chicken. But the egg creates the chicken, so the chicken created the egg. Oh damn... :D I've gone cross-eyed. Hand me another beer, please.

Its all on a case-by-case basis.

Considerations are talent level, protection/running game, and offensive system.

R. Moss has worldy talent, but he's not even worth a FF roster spot atm. Thats due to the system I believe. McNabb continually gets it done with little in the way of WRs, same as Brady. System as well. Happens to RBs too - see Priest Holmes.

TO, however cancerous he is, seems to raise the play level of his QBs (except for Bledsoe). West coast offense or not, he produces. Thats talent. I think he's more the exception than the standard though.

Any great QB, with protection, can make WRs produce. Look at Favre - Sharp, Driver, Walker. Would those three put up those kind of numbers on a Marty-ball team? Not likely.

Favre is as good as they come, but look at last year - he needs protection to produce. Other questions. Would Marino have put up the numbers he did if Miami had any kind of a running game? Would Aikman have been a more prolific passer without Emmit? Would Montana be as good outside a West Coast offense?

:D Creates more questions than answers for me. Thanks Chavez - just wasted 30 minutes for nothing :D

Tell you how much I think QB's help. Can't even think of the name of Bledsoe's other great WR that played along side Moulds. He went to Atlanta and faded away, I think? :D

Peerless Price.

He found his way back to Buffalo after being cut by the Falcons and Cowboys.

very hard to say

Would Jerry Rice have been as good if he had been drafted by Clevland instead of SF (I'd say no)? And/or were Montana/Young made hall of famers b/c of Rice?

montana won 2 sb's before rice's arrival. i think rice could have excelled anywhere (ie: ward in a run first offense in pit). young had a lot of natural talent, then "developed" into a great passer due to a phenomenal coaching staff and a system theat could adjust to his talents

Several QBs have been hall of fame level w/o great WRs. Farvre (Sharp was great but most are not the best WRs in the league), Marino (not the best WRs) Elway (not the best WRs) McNabb (TO was only together for 20 games) etc...

favre- fantastic qb but he has had very good wr's over the years imo. holmgren and staff really helped him get on track... he was a dud in atl. marino also would have excelled, but you are forgetting duper and clayton... pretty nice duo i the football world.

I think you can see a WR like Owens has brought up the level of play of Garcia/McNabb but then again McNabb is not doing bad w/o TO so it's hard to say.

I can give examples of WR who were GREAT WITH SEVERAL DIFFERNET QBs, Like Moss and Hinse Ward. And Also QBs that don't always have the best WRs like Farvre and McNabb.

QB

WR

Coach style...

So, after reading the discussion and doing some :D myself, I have a thesis:

A good QB can get his numbers, if not make better, a mediocre WR corps (Favre, at times, has been a good example of this). A good WR can be deep-sixed by exceptionally bad QB play, but generally if the QB is reasonably competent, will get his catches and yards (for example Chad Johnson or Roy Williams with Jon Kitna throwing to them).

The main difference being that a great QB can elevate an average supporting cast into a good offense. A great WR can continue to excel but won't elevate the team around him.

Now, if you can manage to get a top QB with top receiving talent, look out.

So, after reading the discussion and doing some :D myself, I have a thesis:

A good QB can get his numbers, if not make better, a mediocre WR corps (Favre, at times, has been a good example of this). A good WR can be deep-sixed by exceptionally bad QB play, but generally if the QB is reasonably competent, will get his catches and yards (for example Chad Johnson or Roy Williams with Jon Kitna throwing to them).

The main difference being that a great QB can elevate an average supporting cast into a good offense. A great WR can continue to excel but won't elevate the team around him.

Now, if you can manage to get a top QB with top receiving talent, look out.

You mean the Colts and Bengals?

I think a great WR can elevate a crap QB to a high level, although it will be the minority. Look at Carolina with Steve Smith and Delhomme. Smith makes Delhomme look amazing in the stat box, but he has to make some amazingly hard catches to bail out Delhomme.

I think a great WR can elevate a crap QB to a high level, although it will be the minority. Look at Carolina with Steve Smith and Delhomme. Smith makes Delhomme look amazing in the stat box, but he has to make some amazingly hard catches to bail out Delhomme.

But how do you explain the season Delhomme and Muhammad had back in '04?

But how do you explain the season Delhomme and Muhammad had back in '04?

It's the same thing, a really good WR can make a average QB good. He had the same type of numbers as smith did last year, Delhomme would just throw the ball up and (despite what he is now) Muhammed had some great hands in 2004 and make some great catches.

Edited by CD6405