[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Has anyone made the switch

Savage Beatings

Our electric bill is getting a bit out of hand. Has anyone here made the switch to those energy saving bulbs? Do they make a difference? Pros and cons?

I heard second-hand of someone lowering their monthly bill by over $50 just by switching to those light bulbs, but wasn't sure if that could be true or not.

I've switched over to them completely. They DEFINITELY save energy. Think about it: a 60 watt bulb can now produce the same light and only use 14 watts. My electric bills have actually remained steady/or gone down each month the more I add them. And they last a long time. I bought my house 18 months ago, and the previous owner had them in a couple of ceiling fans. Haven't changed them yet.

I switched over to those screw-in fluorescent bulbs about 6 months ago. It drives the wife nuts ... she hates them. :D She just doesn't like how they look. But as I told her, no one sees them unless you look inside the lampshade anyhoo. I even have them in the garage, and all exterior lighting. The only place they're not feasible is in the bathroom/vanity style lights. But even there you can put in energy saving incandescents. They are however 2 - 3 times more expensive (depending on what you buy), but to me, they seem to last longer as well. I had 4 in my basement where we used to live, and after 5 years they were still going strong!

So, the light is great, and the bills have dropped about 10% - 15%. For us it's been a good move.

They are however 2 - 3 times more expensive (depending on what you buy)

True. You may want to keep an eye out for sales. About a month ago they had a national energy savings week or something, and all the hardware stores in KC (Home Depot, et al) had them where you could buy 6 bulbs for $9.99. Usually they are $3-4 apiece, but you only replace them once every couple of years.

Since I work for an ELECTRIC Co. those things are the devil!! My stock goes down and will make me work 3 more years till retirement.. They put out very dangerous EMFs.. and you will go blind in around 5 years.. other than that they do save electricty, not $50 a month but probably around 10-15 depending on how much you keep the lights on.

The quality of light is different, but my energy bills HAVE been lower since I started switching over to them (not fully switched yet, I just replace bulbs as they burn out).

Since I work for an ELECTRIC Co. those things are the devil!! My stock goes down and will make me work 3 more years till retirement.. They put out very dangerous EMFs.. and you will go blind in around 5 years.. other than that they do save electricty, not $50 a month but probably around 10-15 depending on how much you keep the lights on.

Bowie Cass in the HAYOUSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :D:D

I've been switching to them as I can. I use those swirly flourescent things. They work well in hall lights, closets, and around the exterior of the house. I've run into two negatives, however:

1) Living in a cold climate, I've found that the outside bulbs take about a minute to warm up when they first come on. Not good with your front porch light, when someone rings the bell after dark.

2) They don't work well with dimmer switches. When you try to dim them, they just shut off. At least that's my experience with the "cheapies" I buy (usually in packs of 3 for around 8 bucks).

Overall, though, I'm very happy with them. I don't know if the one's I use save anything off my energy bill, but they last a long time, saving me the hassle of changing bulbs.

The next set I plan to get are the ones for the vanity lights. We have 3 bathrooms with anywhere from 3 to 8 bulbs over the mirrors. I plan to buy some and convert the bathrooms one at a time as the bulbs wear down. With a couple of young kids running around, I'm sure that will save me some bank...especially in the downstairs bathroom where I finally gave up and put a timer on the switch. :D

We switched another five bulbs or so over a couple weeks ago, using the "daylighters" or whatever they are called. Replaced a couple a month ago in hallways and the family likes the lighting.

Family didn't like the normal florescent screw-ins due to the way they throw light.

It's amazing to me a thread about light bulbs has gotten this much run. :D

Ya gotta remember that this is the place where wiegie posted about firetrucks across the street during a thunderstorm and it got THREE PAGES.

2) They don't work well with dimmer switches. When you try to dim them, they just shut off. At least that's my experience with the "cheapies" I buy (usually in packs of 3 for around 8 bucks).

I think there is a warning on the packaging not to use them with dimmer switches.

I like them quite a bit. Definately save money. I think I've seen slightly more expensive bulbs that create a better qualtiy of light.

I've been using them for at least two years now. My work place switched to them and the contractor doing the retro's on the some of the fixtures gave me a box of the lights for lamps and what not. I changed them all in my house and yes indeed the bill did go down. I would say about 20 a month for us. However, I am still Marks favorite customer. My kids will not shut of a light ever. And my wife is just as bad.

I've been using them since they were first made available to me 13 years ago. The electric company in CT got sued and part of their penalty was that they had to make these available to consumers at reduced prices. I changed over my entire house at that time. I want you to know that I still am using all of the original bulbs I bought at that time. These things last for a REALLY long time. So not only do you save money on your electric bills, but you save becasue you don't have to replace them as often as traditional incandescent bulbs.

You cannot use them with dimmer switches at all though. They are an on/off type bulb, they can't vary their lumen output.

Yep, been using them for about 1 1/2 years now. They definitely save money IMO ... they don't turn on instantly like regular lightbulbs, but there is only maybe a one second delay so it is not that bad.

The everyday best deal on them is at Sam's Club ... you get a pack of 8 for just over $12 for the 13 watt variety. I think the higher wattage bulbs (the ones to replace 100watt) is like a pack of 6 for close to the same price.