[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The NFL Network Game last night

Chief Dick

1. Bryant Gumbel. As the other threads have discussed, absolutely terrible. He has no business announcing football. The whole night, he missed down and distance, players names, etc. Every couple of plays were sentences like: "Larry Johnson made a couple of yards, I think." Not good. Collinsworth tried his best to save him to no avail.

2. The pregame show. They had Eisen, etal, crammed into this little desk next to the field. The desk was really, really small. Just odd to me. This is supposed to be a new era for NFL network, and they have their 4 analysts crammed behind a desk that should have fit 4 small children. It was almost like being sent to the kids table at Thanksgiving, which this production felt like.

3. The picture and production value. Not good IMO. Keep in mind I do not have HD, and normally I still get a great picture from, in order: 1. ESPN 2. FOX 3. CBS

This ranked below CBS, and they kept showing field goal attempts from BEHIND the kicker, which made it hard to follow the ball as it went through the uprights. Pretty annoying. Also annoying was the time and score bar at the top of the screen. WAY too fat and obtrusive, it got in the way of game action. Not acceptable. CBS does the best job of this IMO.

Overall impression is that the production value of this was like watching a preseason game. Not at all impressed considering the NFL network is trying to "sell" this network to potential customers. And John Fogerty at halftime was OK, but was WAY more impressed with the Cowboys halftime show with Underwood.

Overall grade: D-

The only real rewarding part of the broadcast was having an opportunity to watch KC's run defense stuff the various DEN RBs and watch Larry Johnson beat them up.

I agree w/ CD's assessment of everything 100%.

I couldn't agree with you more.

The start of the show did not even sync up the voice to the lip movements.

The sound was terrible....sounded like they were broadcasting into a tin can.

At one point Bryant Gumble referred to a player's return from injury as debatable. Say What Willis?!!! The terms are probable, questionable or doubtful.

Gumble was very bad. Collinsworth was very good but he was not enough to pull Gumble across the line.

i am going to have to disagree with you on the picture quality, i do not have HD either but i think it was great to see everything was clear, i go NFL ESPN FOX then CBS, something was up in the DET game yesterday like fog or something in the 4th qrtr...but besides the picture it was pretty bad

C

i am going to have to disagree with you on the picture quality, i do not have HD either but i think it was great to see everything was clear, i go NFL ESPN FOX then CBS, something was up in the DET game yesterday like fog or something in the 4th qrtr...but besides the picture it was pretty bad

C

The "fog" was the residual smoke from the HT show. Detroit presumably forgot they have a roof on their building, so the field was shrouded in smoke most of the second half.

3. The picture and production value. Not good IMO. Keep in mind I do not have HD, and normally I still get a great picture from, in order: 1. ESPN 2. FOX 3. CBS

This ranked below CBS, and they kept showing field goal attempts from BEHIND the kicker, which made it hard to follow the ball as it went through the uprights. Pretty annoying. Also annoying was the time and score bar at the top of the screen. WAY too fat and obtrusive, it got in the way of game action. Not acceptable. CBS does the best job of this IMO.

I don't know about anyone else, but the way it was produced reminded me of watching a game back in the 80's. The big fat bars and simple font prints. No real distance from the field just close and centered on the ball and whatever is not happening around it too bad you're not gonna see it.

1. Bryant Gumbel. As the other threads have discussed, absolutely terrible. He has no business announcing football. The whole night, he missed down and distance, players names, etc. Every couple of plays were sentences like: "Larry Johnson made a couple of yards, I think." Not good. Collinsworth tried his best to save him to no avail.

2. The pregame show. They had Eisen, etal, crammed into this little desk next to the field. The desk was really, really small. Just odd to me. This is supposed to be a new era for NFL network, and they have their 4 analysts crammed behind a desk that should have fit 4 small children. It was almost like being sent to the kids table at Thanksgiving, which this production felt like.

Overall impression is that the production value of this was like watching a preseason game. Not at all impressed considering the NFL network is trying to "sell" this network to potential customers. And John Fogerty at halftime was OK, but was WAY more impressed with the Cowboys halftime show with Underwood.

I totally agree. The NFL Network has had, what, a good 9 or 10 months to get ready to broadcast this game, and that's the best they could do??? If they change one thing........just one........it has to be letting Gumbel go. They have to understand that the folks watching the NFL nework game are hard core fans---not your Today show housewives. WE WILL notice when you call Jake Plummer Chris Plummer, and WE are not forgiving. :D

Overall impression is that the production value of this was like watching a preseason game.

I agree completely. I can't remember the last time I watched a game where I was so conscious of the poor quality of the production and that INCLUDES preseason games. Gumble was so boring that I actually fell asleep during the third quarter.

Picture quality was poor in HD as well. I didn't watch much of the game, but Gumball sounded a bit rusty.

IT WAS THE WORST DISPLAY OF A FOOTBALL GAME EVER! 80'S FEEL, 80'S SOUND, WE LIVE IN THE YEAR 2006! ANNOUNCERS SUCKED ie"larry johnson around the outside close to a 1st down..." he was 5 yards short!!!!!!! Gumble may know less about football than my wife!!!!! another example was when they mentioned dante hall as a wr and that NOONE in the NFL can cover him! Say What Willis?!

If I wanted to listen to a game that sounde muffled, looked fuzzy, I could watch 8MM tapes of the game from 20 years ago!!!

Why wouldnt the game be in HD?

Comcast was supposed to show this game in HD on the INHD channel...it was even on the grid when I hit "guide"....but they replaced it with a movie "BOOOO!"...

Gumbel was atrocious and Collinsworth would need the assistance of HGH to carry him on his back...

I didn't watch the pre-game...but they definately need to get their weight up soon..