[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

BigMikeinNY needs help...

BigMikeinNY

I knew this would be a place I could come to get some great answers, I appreciate you taking the time to read this......

Ok, here is the deal........Between July and October I continually had 2 credit card companies calling say I had an overdue balance....I dont have credit cards with those companies and I kept telling them that. After them continually calling, I got scared. Was I being caught up in credit fraud?

So, I did a free credit report online....That friggin credit report shows EVERYTHING. Car loans, student loans, even my credit card when I was 18 that is now paid off. The credit report showed NOTHING of what these "credit card companies" claimed......After I checked, the calls went away.

......well now over the past few days the calls are returning. They are coming from two credit card companies I have never heard of claiming I have an over due balance. I dont know who they are. I have never recieved a statement.

I have NEVER given any of these people my SS#. The sometimes get very frustrated when I wont give it. i ask them to look up my so called account according to my phone # and they get aggrivated....

I am begining to get scared again a. Are they real debts someone has run up? b. are they scammers looking for my SS#?

So I guess my question is - What can I do? Does running another free credit report online kill my credit score? Do I report this?

Thanks for taking the time to read this guys

BMinNY

Edited by BigMikeinNY

I am pretty sure that if you yourself order your credit report directly from one of the three official credit agencies that it will not affect your credit score at all.

You should also call up the 3 main credit-reporting agencies and ask them to put some sort of fraud alert on your credit history.

Also, when the companies call you up, firmly tell them that you have no open account with them and that if they call you back you will report them to your state's attorney general. Alternatively (and perhaps even better) is you can call up the credit-card companies yourself and report what is going on. If it is a 3rd-party scam, they will want to know about it too.)

(I'm sure somebody else will have better info than this.)

You are being phished. You should absolutely report it.

Running a credit report every once in a while does not hurt your credit.

Always request proof of debt to be mailed to you in the form of an invoice. Have them read off the address to the account. That will dissuade most bogus creditors.

Do not under any circumstances give them any personal information.

Mike, next time anyone calls, ask them for them for a "demand letter." They can't do squat to you under the law until they send a demand letter. Until then, they are just shaking you down and you've got nothing to worry about.

However, if you want to be a little more proactive about this (i.e., go the offensive) you can send them what is called a "cease and desist" letter. If, after you send them a cease and desist letter, they contact you outside the very defined parameters of the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act you can: (1) sue them; (2) report them to the Attorney General of the state they operate in; (3) report them to the Federal Trade Commission; and (4) assuming there is an attorney involved (I've seen a number of situations where a law firm is acting as debt collector) you can report the attorney invovled to their respective state bar association. Bottom line, most of these clowns stop frisking you once you drop a cease and desist letter in their lap.

PM me if you're interested in a fairly boiler plater cease and desist letter that I wrote for my wife two years back. I'd be happy to redact all her personal info and forward you a fill in the blank type letter that you can use.

Here's some good general info on "fair" debt collection that may provide some insight.

Here is a link to the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act itself, which I recommend that you print and read. It's dense and "lawyerly," but once you get your mind around this law, you will never fear a debt collector (legit or otherwise) again for the rest of your life. These scum prey on the ignorant. So don't be.

Peace, brother.

Edited by yo mama

Call Equifax and as Wiegie suggested get fraud insurance. I think it costs like 95 bucks for the whole year and you have unlimited access to your credit reports plus it will send alerts if status changes..Here is the

# (1-877-474-8273),

Yeap you are being phished. ID theft is ugly. Like i've said a thousand times over on this board, I got nailed a while back (2 1/2 years) and i'm still cleaning up the fallout.

Next time they call you do what the people suggested above. But if you are feeling up to it, ask for their phone contact information and tell them once you get all of your information together you'll call them back with it. Then call your local FBI office and turn over the information to them. They will pick it up from there.

The FBI was very helpful with me when it cam to my ID theft. I discovered that some dude named Kallic Mohammad from making VOIP calls from Canada to the middle east using my credit card information. :D

I bet that's why the FBI was so helpful...

Actually, I didn't suggest getting fraud insurance. (I didn't not suggest it either though.)

:D Though a clever use of the double-negative this sentence still gets flagged. 5 yards minor infraction because it was used in a possibly helpful way. :D

Actually, I didn't suggest getting fraud insurance. (I didn't not suggest it either though.)

My bad..The fraud alert you suggested is a good idea..We just did it and I used equifax which is the number I posted for Bigmike..A laptop was stolen from the bank that carries my mortgage so we received a letter suggesting we do that which we did..

:D Sleeping on the job, 10 yard penalty and loss of down.

:bash:

Squeegie is the grammer police..I dont think that falls under the referees duties..:D

Interesting post... I paid a cc off this summer, then couple weeks ago got a call said I had a balance of $170 that was over due. I never tell blind calls its me, usually tell them I am simply cleaning the office or something, so I took a msg.

Looked up my cc statement online, showed zero balance and closed.

Called my cc company, they confirmed zero balance and closed, so I thought fok it, i'm not gonna worry about it.

Pretty brave to phish over the phone leaving a phone number, it was a black chick who called me, but she sounded american.

Interesting post... I paid a cc off this summer, then couple weeks ago got a call said I had a balance of $170 that was over due. I never tell blind calls its me, usually tell them I am simply cleaning the office or something, so I took a msg.

Looked up my cc statement online, showed zero balance and closed.

Called my cc company, they confirmed zero balance and closed, so I thought fok it, i'm not gonna worry about it.

Pretty brave to phish over the phone leaving a phone number, it was a black chick who called me, but she sounded american.

Prolly thought you were a janitor. :D

I always tell callers I am the butler and the Rollers are vacationing in Europe.