[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Red Light District here I come!

Puddy

Heading to Amsterdam Monday evening for the first time. Unfortunately it's a business trip and half the time I'll be in a small town called Ommen. It is going to be a nightmare Tuesday as my flight leaves at 5:45 PM Eastern on Monday and I arrive at 7:30 AM Holland time on Tuesday. Jump on a train for two hours to Ommen then straight to the office :D My body is going to think it's 4:00 in the morning and I'll be on no or minimal sleep, depending on how much I sleep in coach on an 8-hour flight. Looking forward to hanging out in Amsterdam Wednesday and Thursday nights however. Any suggestions?

Edited by Puddy

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heading to Amsterdam Monday evening for the first time. Unfortunately it's a business trip and half the time I'll be in a small town called Ommen. It is going to be a nightmare Tuesday as my flight leaves at 5:45 PM Eastern on Monday and I arrive at 7:30 AM Holland time on Tuesday. Jump on a train for two hours to Ommen then straight to the office :bash: My body is going to think it's 4:00 in the morning and I'll be on no or minimal sleep, depending on how much I sleep in coach on an 8-hour flight. Looking forward to hanging out in Amsterdam Wednesday and Thursday nights however. Any suggestions?

Have your cheap-ass company spring for first or at very least, business class? :D

Lots of Red Bull or Mountain Dew? :clap::tup::doh:

Magic brownies. :huh:

Hot, cheap women. :D

Have your cheap-ass company spring for first or at very least, business class? :D

We have a ton of biz-perks miles built up on Northwest but I guess there is a limit as to how many times per year you can upgrade from coach to business class and we already hit that. :D

The actual fare difference was ridiculous. $1,800 for coach, $8,200 for business class.

I would have liked that pod thing you get to put over your head however.

We have a ton of biz-perks miles built up on Northwest but I guess there is a limit as to how many times per year you can upgrade from coach to business class and we already hit that. :D

The actual fare difference was ridiculous. $1,800 for coach, $8,200 for business class.

I would have liked that pod thing you get to put over your head however.

Hmm, well then the best suggestion I have is purchase some GOOD noise-canceling, over-the-ear headphones. Bose, Sennheiser and Sony have solid headphones. I would buy Bose or Sennheiser. Get yourself an iPod (have your kids teach you how to use it :D ) and get some very relaxing music... make the playlist as long as possible. Get yourself one of those horse-shoe type neck pillows. Ensure you have a window seat. I sleep like a baby in these conditions.

Or wait, are you looking for suggestions as to what to do in Amsterdam? :clap:

Bose headphones ... these are way expensive. I think you can get them cheaper elsewhere.

Have Carhartt pick up the tab, since it's seriously cheaper than the airline upgrade! :bash:

Edited by darin3

The Sharper Image has a pair for $70. May actually consider getting those tomorrow if ChuckB will let me borrow his new iPod.

:bash::D THANK YOU! I have been looking for these for weeks... I forgot where I saw 'em at... was looking for the ones that folded up for travel. May be a little late to ask Santa for these, but maybe I'll just buy 'em for myself. Unless Santa brings me the expensive ones... :D (doubtful).

Anyways, those are real solid headphones - especially for the price.

Have Chucky put some nice soothing music in there. Have a beer at the airport. Sleepy time!

Edit to add: some reviews of those SI headphones...

Edited by darin3

I can never sleep for more than 15 minutes on those transatlantic flights--no matter how long I have gone without sleep in the previous days.

Can you get some knock-out pills from your doctor (or perhaps take some sort of over-the-counter sleep pill)?

Otherwise, just enjoy the free drinks and in-seat movie options that NW offers. :D

The Sharper Image has a pair for $70. May actually consider getting those tomorrow if ChuckB will let me borrow his new iPod.

As much music as that sucker will hold, surely you can find something to your liking.

:bash::D THANK YOU! I have been looking for these for weeks... I forgot where I saw 'em at... was looking for the ones that folded up for travel. May be a little late to ask Santa for these, but maybe I'll just buy 'em for myself. Unless Santa brings me the expensive ones... :D (doubtful).

Anyways, those are real solid headphones - especially for the price.

Have Chucky put some nice soothing music in there. Have a beer at the airport. Sleepy time!

Edit to add: some reviews of those SI headphones...

Well you are looking at Sharper Image's expensive pair $150. Looks like most of the folks liked them. My cheap ass was looking at these. No reviews on them, but they probably aren't very good.

the noise-cancelling headphones are a good idea, but i wouldn't buy bose anything. everything they sell that i've ever seen is ridiculously overpriced, blown away by competition at half the price.

once there...i dunno, never been :D

You're right, Bose is usually overhyped. If/when you can get them at reduced prices, they're AWESOME.

How about getting yourself a window seat on the left side of the plane and then if you can't sleep, you can at least look at the northern lights for a good portion of the flight.

I have an aisle seat on the way there and a window seat on the way back. No windows available on the way there. I'll probably just get liquored up, talk nasty to a flight attendant and force an emergency landing somewhere along the way.

If you can sleep on a plane, stay up the entire night before, drink a lot of water. Get on the plane, pound a few cocktails and hopefully wake up there.

If you've never been, your brain shuts down in the district for a reboot when you realize what reality is over there.

The hammer of the gods,

Tarvaris Jackson, will drive our ships to new lands,

To fight the horde, singing and crying:

Valhalla, I am coming!

:D

have not been to amsterdam- so cannot help with travel tips there.

1. do you have your own ff miles (not the company's) you can use to upgrade? if so...it's worth it for longer flights.

as mentioned:

2. sleep.... also can try to catch some sleep on the train.

3. should get one or two movies

4. ipod- get some free podcasts (and videos) on there so you have something else to watch. rick steves has some good ones on europe.

5. reading material...... maybe a little guide book on amsterdam.

I have an aisle seat on the way there and a window seat on the way back. No windows available on the way there. I'll probably just get liquored up, talk nasty to a flight attendant and force an emergency landing somewhere along the way.

Have fun and sneak some hash back in your va-jay-jay.

Wow...what has the huddle come to?

A guy says he's going to Amsterdam and 20 posts later the best advice he's gotten is how to best sleep on the trip over? Faqs!

5 years ago we had a contingent from work sent over and I lost out on the last spot via a coin flip. :D

The only advice I can give is...one of our guys made the mistake of actually entering the doorway of one of those friendly ladies to see what she had to offer. Once inside, he decided he found out while he didn't want to spend any money on her, it was going to cost him some cash to open the door for him to leave! Don't go in a door if you don't plan on spending money, because it will cost you just as much or more to go out the door!

Hash is easy to get in any bar and cheap...and GOOD! :bash: So I am told...again, I didn't get to go...:D

wiegie - Dramamine. They are fo rmotion sickness but two of them and a couple of cocktails will definitely have you sleeping like a baby.

Puddy - Don't smoke while you're over there. Eat it. It's much better. Or better yet, dissolve the hash in your coffee...mmmmmm.