[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Offensive Rookie of the Year

THE SIX KINGS

Young outruns the field, is top offensive rookie

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Vince Young looks as if he'll make the NFL his personal playground, too

Young, who led Texas to the 2005 national championship and was the third overall pick in last April's draft, overwhelmed one of the strongest rookie classes in NFL history. He received 23 votes from a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters who cover the league.

That easily beat New Orleans wide receiver Marques Colston and Jacksonville running back Maurice Jones-Drew, who had nine apiece; San Diego tackle Marcus McNeill (6); and Saints running back Reggie Bush (3).

Running back Carnell "Cadillac" Williams of Tampa Bay won the award last year. Young is the third member of the Tennessee-Houston franchise to take top rookie honors: Earl Campbell in 1978 and Eddie George in 1996 did it for the Houston Oilers.

Young was the catalyst in Tennessee's rally from 0-5 to 8-8, at times looking as unstoppable for the Titans as he did with the Longhorns. A starter from Week 4, Young sprinkled all kinds of spectacular big plays with a growing maturity in joining Ben Roethlisberger (2004) as the only quarterbacks to win top rookie honors in the 49-year history of the award.

He became the first rookie quarterback to rush for more than 500 yards in the Super Bowl era, and his passing skills improved all year under coach Jeff Fisher and offensive coordinator Norm Chow.

"I like to go out there and play the game and show that I can deliver the ball down the field, and that I can use my legs at the right time, when it's time to use my legs, and checking the ball down, just being a quarterback," Young said. "I want to change the game a little bit."

He's already helped change the perception of what a first-year quarterback can do given playing time. Young sat and learned for barely a month while Kerry Collins started and the Titans struggled. Then Fisher turned to the youngster well before he'd planned.

And Young delivered as the Titans threatened to become the first team to lose its opening five games and then make the playoffs. They were in contention until the final weekend, thanks greatly to a six-game winning streak that included a remarkable comeback from 21-0 down in the final 10 minutes to beat the Giants.

"He was very prepared when he got here because of the experience he had in college," said Fisher, who along with Tennessee's scouts and general manager Floyd Reese chose Young over Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler in the draft. "We knew that he had a chance to improve and obviously that's why we went ahead and started him when we did. We felt like he was ready."

Chow, who worked with Heisman Trophy winners Leinart and Carson Palmer at Southern California, is considered one of the finest teachers of quarterbacks in the business. What does he like most about Young, who left Texas after his junior season?

"Besides the physical skills, it's the will and the strength inside, the 'it' factor that a quarterback either has or doesn't have," Chow said. "Obviously, he has it. The quickness in which he won the team over and the quickness in which he became the leader, the guy everybody looked up to, that was special.

"Vince Young has this great ability to lift others around him. To see him do it so quickly, that wasn't a surprise, but it was certainly good to see."

Perhaps Young's finest moment was a 39-yard TD run in overtime to beat Houston, his hometown team that bypassed the Lone Star State hero to take defensive end Mario Williams atop the draft. There seemed to be as many Titans No. 10 spamshirts in Reliant Stadium as any Texans shirts.

"It was a great ending," Young said. "Being from Houston and being in front of my family and the fans that respect me as a player and a person, as well, it can't get any better than that."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

12 TDs, 13 INTs, a 51.5 completion rate....so, a couple of good games down the stretch wins him ROY? what a f'n joke. :D guess those 7 rushing TDs were enough...

Edited by msaint

Yeah, and 17 tds from MJD weren't enough. Go figure...

Possibly because he started late and didn't play in as many games. This was a tough one as several deserved recognition, but it should have been closer.

I agree with this. Colston and MJD had outstanding rookie seasons, but Young was the main reason for TEN's resurgence. And it's VERY difficult for a rookie to play QB competently in the NFL.

Based on his reliance on his legs, his poor mechanics, and his poor Wunderlic score, I predicted that Young would be a bust earlier this year. Looks like I was dead wrong about that.

VY deserved it. :D An argument can be made for Colston, and MJD (MJD practically won me a championship this year), but VY deserved it more. No other rookie changed their team quite the way that VY did. He turned around the entire organization. Oh, did I say :D

12 TDs, 13 INTs, a 51.5 completion rate....so, a couple of good games down the stretch wins him ROY? what a f'n joke. :D guess those 7 rushing TDs were enough...

Couldn't agree more. MJD & Colston were robbed (or at least should have been the pick over Young).

I agree with this. Colston and MJD had outstanding rookie seasons, but Young was the main reason for TEN's resurgence. And it's VERY difficult for a rookie to play QB competently in the NFL.

Based on his reliance on his legs, his poor mechanics, and his poor Wunderlic score, I predicted that Young would be a bust earlier this year. Looks like I was dead wrong about that.

VY deserved it. :D An argument can be made for Colston, and MJD (MJD practically won me a championship this year), but VY deserved it more. No other rookie changed their team quite the way that VY did. He turned around the entire organization. Oh, did I say :D

NO question Vince deserved it. Its not about numbers, but about what he did when he played. Leading this team to 8-8 after they were 0-5 before he started was truley amazing. Look at the talent on that team outside of Bullock, Pac-Man and Young

Even as a Saints fan I can't argue with this. I'm just glad Colston & Bush were represented accordingly in the votes. I still believe though if it had not been for his injury Colston would have run away with it along with a couple of records and a Pro-bowl invite as well. At least they get the playoffs as a reward for their efforts.

Edited by rajncajn

The injury cost Colston possibly, but I see no issues with this. It wasn't just that he went 8-3, but the way he simply willed that team to win was incredible. To me it was Colston and him - MJD's TD stat was very impressive and maybe if he had been the sole back all year i'd think otherwise, but didn't see him as either better than nor 'more valuable' than Colston or Young.

Bush wasn't the ROY of his own team, so wouldn't have made sense.

The lineman....it is what it is - there's a case that Walter Jones should be MVP every year....and he'll never sniff the award.

NO question Vince deserved it. Its not about numbers, but about what he did when he played. Leading this team to 8-8 after they were 0-5 before he started was truley amazing. Look at the talent on that team outside of Bullock, Pac-Man and Young

I'm Tired of it...really tired of it. I'm beginning to hate VY over it. Does he have some swagger, some good leadership abilities? Yes. Is he the sole reason they won those games. Hell No. Did McNabb getting hurt have anything to do with winning the Philly game? Didn't the Defense (a unit VY is not a part of) put up 3 TDs against Jacksonville? Did Bironas not make a 60 yarder against Indy? This is a team sport. Make him into Vick if thats what you all really want, but statistically he wasn't even as good as Vick in passer ratings. How sad is that? :bash::D:D

Wow. What do some of you guys watch?

Colston was great, no doubt. Superior performance as a rook WR on a team that had a lot of other weapons. In any other year...

Jones-Drew also performed well, but not quite as well as Colston in a position that has a much smaller learning curve than WR. I'd vote for Colston over Drew, but I'd understand anyone who went the other way.

Young took over in mid-season for what was a crappy team competing with OAK & DET as the worst teams in the league, at a position that has the biggest learning curve in the league - and didn't figure to get a whole lot of reps early on as TEN tried to get some even remotely decent play at QB. Young comes on in midseason, puts the team on his back, and made them a legit threat. Think of this - if Young had started the season from game 1, TEN - the team that was thought to be vying for the #1 draft pick next year - would have made the playoffs. TEN started 0-5 and under Young went 8-3 the rest of the season. That's an incredible turn around - and 7 of those games that he started were against playoff teams. The TD/INT ratio & completion percentage are good numbers for rookies in the NFL, especially those that didn't begin the season as starters.

Jones-Drew was great, no doubt. Colston was even better, IMNSHO. Neither one can match what Young did with what he had surrounding him. Not even close.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Again with the Wonderlic. VY had the same wonderlic score as Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Randall Cunnigham,

and one better than McNabb's 14.

To show what these things really do for measurement that group listed above also was the same as Terry Bradshaw. :D

Wow. What do some of you guys watch?

Colston was great, no doubt. Superior performance as a rook WR on a team that had a lot of other weapons. In any other year...

Jones-Drew also performed well, but not quite as well as Colston in a position that has a much smaller learning curve than WR. I'd vote for Colston over Drew, but I'd understand anyone who went the other way.

Young took over in mid-season for what was a crappy team competing with OAK & DET as the worst teams in the league, at a position that has the biggest learning curve in the league - and didn't figure to get a whole lot of reps early on as TEN tried to get some even remotely decent play at QB. Young comes on in midseason, puts the team on his back, and made them a legit threat. Think of this - if Young had started the season from game 1, TEN - the team that was thought to be vying for the #1 draft pick next year - would have made the playoffs. TEN started 0-5 and under Young went 8-3 the rest of the season. That's an incredible turn around - and 7 of those games that he started were against playoff teams. The TD/INT ratio & completion percentage are good numbers for rookies in the NFL, especially those that didn't begin the season as starters.

Jones-Drew was great, no doubt. Colston was even better, IMNSHO. Neither one can match what Young did with what he had surrounding him. Not even close.

I would agree with this 100%.

Sometimes we get a little blinded to the fantasy value of players versus their role on their team and just what accomplishment they really had outside of pure statistical results. Young came into the most difficult position to learn and had a dramatic effect on his team. Roethlisberger won ROY as a QB as well but he had Hines Ward, Plaxico Burress, Jerome Bettis, Willie Parker and the PIT defense.

Young had to make do with Drew Bennett, Brandon Jones, eventually Travis Henry and the TEN defense. Huge difference. The difference between what he did and what would have happened without him? Subjective of course but they were already 0-5. Sure they beat a lot of teams just barely but they were mostly all playoff bound teams that were quality opponents. That TEN was even in the game was success enough.

Did the NO passing game fall apart without Colston? Nope - Henderson had monster efforts when he replaced Colston. Would the JAX rushing game fall apart without MJD? It would have been less to be sure but Taylor had a great year himself.

For fantasy purposes, it would be MJD hands down as a rookie that ended up top 10 in his position. What Colston did was astounding and without precedent for a 7th round rookie. But in NFL terms, VY was the best rookie of them all.

Again with the Wonderlic. VY had the same wonderlic score as Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Randall Cunnigham,

and one better than McNabb's 14.

To show what these things really do for measurement that group listed above also was the same as Terry Bradshaw. :D

Wonderlic scores obviously don't mean everything, but they should be taken into consideration. QBs need to be able to process information quickly. Those that can't will go the way of Kordell or Ryan Leaf.

BTW, Randall Cunningham is a poor example of a "smart" QB. He was never able to grasp the WCO and ended up losing his job in Philly because Gruden's offense was too complicated for him.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Did the NO passing game fall apart without Colston? Nope - Henderson had monster efforts when he replaced Colston. Would the JAX rushing game fall apart without MJD? It would have been less to be sure but Taylor had a great year himself.

Not arguing what you are saying overall, but I will reiterate what I've said in the past. Henderson's numbers should not be attributed to Colston being off the field. They did take a jump when Colston went out, but that has more to do with what the offense was trying to do and Payton's confidence that Henderson would produce in the role he has him playing. Henderson is a deep threat, his main purpose is to stretch the field & turn in a big play when Payton or Brees dials it up. If you want to make comparisons for when Colston was out you should look more at Copper than anyone else and while Copper was serviceable and made some good plays when they were needed, he was obviously not on the same level as Colston.

I just don't see how VY being rookie of the year can be disputed. The guy is a stud and completely turned around the Titans season. Along the way, the Titans beat some good teams and let's not forget, came within a whisker of beating the Ravens. As a rookie qb, you really can't expect much more than what he accomplished this year. If you're not on the VY bandwagon yet jump on and watch this guy have a great career and become a fantasy stud.

BTW- The crop of rookies this year made a huge impact on the NFL. I can't remember a better class in the last 10 years.